Profile Pictures

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Profile Pictures

Does Airbnb require a valid profile picture?

I ask, as a lot of my guests from Asian countries appear to be teddy bears, stuffed dog toys, cartoon characters, or practically invisible as the photo was taken in such a dark room, that I cannot discern who they are.

What is Airbnb`s policy about the profile picture, and how is it enforced?  Is it enforced?

I`ve been pointing out to potential guests that they want to see who I am, and clear photos of my home.  Shouldn`t I get the same from them?

And shouldn`t you?

Kevin

103 Replies 103

My today's experience: a deception. I have a nice guest from South Korea for a month in my house. But until the very moment she landed in my bedroom, all the way through the booking and communicating I was sure it will be a middle aged man staying in my house. The problem is that my guest was allowed to put a family photo as her profile picture where the man is the closest and largest object on the picture. 

Not only it is confusing, but if I do have to have a nice photo of myself for my guests to see, why it should not be appropriate to have a similarly nice photo of my guest? 

As for today I am even barred from seing the whole name of my guest, just a first name. 

I do not think it is all right. With all the goodies Airbnb gives us, the possibility to run a smooth little business this part is definitely not all right. 

Barbora

Hi Barbora,

The sooner we all realize that AirBnB is like every other travel site, which is that they are only in it for the money, and learn to deal with things through that focus, the better things get. I made a few minor adjustments to our listings after I learned AirBnB was allowing people to do things which are illegal here. For instance, not counting infants in the guest total. License violation here. So I put it as a condition in my listing, and all guests have to agree to it.

If guests arrive and there are more people than the reservation states, I will correct the reservation accordingly. If the number in the group exceeds the license, they will be asked to leave. If they refuse, the police are called. I documented all of this through emails with AirBnB. They wanted to handle everything via telephone call, but I did not allow that.

I would recommend that you add a house rule that clearly states that the booker's profile picture is actually of them. If they do not, then you can deny them access when they arrive. Oh, and watch out for that thing where someone can book for someone else. I don't like that idea! The AirBnB platform was built on trust, and AirBnB keeps eroding things in favor of guests. That's where the money is, so I would expect nothing less.

All the best,

Jay

I have reported two times to AirBnB when the person making the reservation is not the person who will be the guest. It is a violation of their rules for third parties to make reservations for someone unless they are a business registered with AirBnB. Even then, they have to give the name etc. for the actual guest.

It is apparent you haven't had much experience and please understand it is for security identification. I live in a big city and it is imperative I know who will be in my home. A very large percentage come for the Marijuana industry which is a choice but sometimes comes with irresponsibility and abuse of policy.  I am a woman and I live alone and Airbnb my upper level I want to know who is in my home.

I am happy you haven't had negative experiences but there is a big community out there and reasons for guidelines and need to been enforced and monitored by Airbnb not the HOST.

Not all guests are not 5 Star and some don't use of the platform in the manner intended. don't we want a usable, safe platform for all? There are no extra tools needed....sign up and post an appropriate picture of your beautiful face and leave it!

Jay18
Level 5
Borgarnes, Iceland

Hi all - After quite a bit of experience with AirBnB, and after recently using a guest have a comic character as their profile picture, I came here looking for more information. After reading about the number of hosts experiencing this issue, I feel certain I have the exact answer.

You need to remember that, as with virtually every booking platform, the platform owner (in this case AirBnB) only makes money if people book. If AirBnB started actually enforcing all these pesky rules on guests, it would almost certainly negatively impact their revenue.

In short: It is about the money! Isn't it always?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Jay18

To be honest I have never had a problem with guest profiles. If they don't have a clear photo of themselves. I ask them to provide one.

If they don't. I don't accept the booking.

Simple.

Hi @Helen3,

That sounds like a great plan. 🙂 I would definitely enforce that if someone is coming into my home; in other words I do not have instant book enabled. A couple of the listings we host are just some part-time apartments we work with our local college to rent out during the summer when students are not present, and those are on instant book. We do not enable instant book within our B&B for myriad reasons.

It would be nice if AirBnB simply would not let someone book if their profile was incomplete, and that includes a clear photo of them. The technology already exists to screen photos to make sure they are of people, and not likely to be too altered. I think AirBnB just wants to take the cheap/easy way out, and of course not slow bookings down, because of the possibility of reduced revenue.

Cheers,

Jay

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

I just received a request from a young traveller.  Wanted to stay from 8am to 11pm.  The picture of "Athena" is that of a young women with her tonge sticking out.  I have to admit, I am very offended by this photo.  It might be that she is a follower of M. Cyrus and thinks this is "cool".  I see M.C. tongue out as an inappropriate sexual connotation.

Do I sound like a prude when I say that I declined this guest and also replied by telling her, "Sorry I find that with year of experience this suggests that one person pays as a single guests and moves in a party".  I went on to a second response from Athena and delined again after she asked to book one night but early arrival.  I responded with a decline and message again, "sorry but I find your picture rude".

Im feeling a bit guilty.  Perhaps I should have just said it wasnt available.  Is this a "red flag".  Should I be reporting her to Airbnb as suspicious.  Why would anyone need to book a two bedroom house and not a conference room in a hotel? ....and at $85.  I think NOT

Judy

Hi Judy,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I agree with your assessment. I'm not sure I would've commented on the actual profile picture but we have to go with our gut as host. I would also flag the profile and send it to  airbnb. They can investigate, I believe and pull the profile if it's not legitimate. 

Thank you for your quick comments.  Was feeling guilty, but I am still getting requests from this person...one after another.  She is quite determined.  I am going to report it...better permission than forgivness" of this issue.

@Judy29 Hi Judy! I think you would be wasting your time to report this to AirBnB; they just don't care about anything like that. I think you are correct to have concerns about this. Should you feel guilty? I would not. It is your place, and if you are not 100% comfortable with someone wanting to rent it, then you should not rent it. Why stress yourself needlessly? Cheers!

HI Judy,

I have had an experience similar but she instant booked, she stayed for the day stating she needed a place for work and meeting a client. Boy did she.......he arrived they conducted their business and left me with the human fluids left on my linens and in the trash. I will now cancel anything wanting anything for a day and stating don't need it for the night. 

Don't feel guilty follow your instincts! 

For my opinion, just refuse those people without real and clear face because they are not respecting hosts feeling. If I put a teddy bear face for my host posting, are they going to rent from me too? 

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

I do not use my own picture but rather a picture of a 150 year old child.  Yes that is wrong but I am waiting for someone to question it.  I do not take a good picture   any moreand actually since leaving fashion modelling with Vogue in the 90's, I never get in front of a camera.  So I am one of the guilty who should have knuckles slapped.  I did however have a booking request from someone who was obviously in their twenties and she had her tonge sticking out.  I found it to be rude and disrespectful.  I declined the booking based on the pix.  I did mention it to that person and h opefully she will change her picture.  But I am still waiting to see if someone questions mine.  Is there anyone from Airbnb monitoring this site???

I doubt anyone from AirBnB monitors this site. That would mean they would, a: have to work, and b: provide a written reply. It seems no one at AirBnB likes either.