Profile Pictures

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Profile Pictures

Does Airbnb require a valid profile picture?

I ask, as a lot of my guests from Asian countries appear to be teddy bears, stuffed dog toys, cartoon characters, or practically invisible as the photo was taken in such a dark room, that I cannot discern who they are.

What is Airbnb`s policy about the profile picture, and how is it enforced?  Is it enforced?

I`ve been pointing out to potential guests that they want to see who I am, and clear photos of my home.  Shouldn`t I get the same from them?

And shouldn`t you?

Kevin

103 Replies 103

If you have even made it a habit to call numerous times to complain about issues that are not to policy between host and guests, you too will discover that Airbnb has a script to follow.  It is always the same conversation that responds to every issue.  And the conversation always starts with, "Im sorry to hear you are having a problem".  Of course I am, but it is with stupid guests who are so entitled and allowed to set their own rules.  I hate shotty reviews that are not accurate because the guests did not find it to their liking.  I do not lie with my description.  I do not pick up the house and move it so they are located differently.  What do these people really want?????  Dont dish me because you screwed up on location.  I sold my little cottage because of the guests it was attracting.  Most of the young people think that a "cottage" with waterfront has a beach or in the forest, or secluded.  They just dont read...its all about the pictures but yet they cant have the respect for the site requirement to post a proper selfie.  One thing I cannot handle are people who lie!!!

@Judy29 Exactly whjat Jonni said!

I doubt anyone from AirBnB monitors this site. That would mean they would, a: have to work, and b: provide a written reply. It seems no one at AirBnB likes either.

Recently (today) I've noticed that profile photos don't show until after you have accepted a request. Is this new?

@Kim0(Timberline Pines) Do you mean accept a request to update your profile photos, or accept a request from a guest? 

We cannot see phontos of guest's who are inquiring or requesting to book until after we have accepted. 

Airbnb told me originally that they didn't know why this "Glitch" was happening, but sadly, today I was told that it was actually a new test that they are running to see how many bookings are taken without photos of the guests during the pre-booking process. 

Yes! I am not happy about it, after calling Airbnb for the last week and being told it was a glitch and now that they are doing it as a test to see how many bookings occur without photos, I am not happy. I have four listings and feel unsafe and uncomfortable accepting bookings or inquiries without knowing that identification was verified with the person who's picture and who will be showing up at my door. I will be forced to take down my lisitngs. I will not risk myself and my family's safety. Anonymity leads to crime. 

Best of luck!

I feel the same way and also betrayed by Airbnb. They hold host to almost impossible standards of quality with a personal touch with photos and so much of our lives meaning our homes exposed, yet expect us to blindly accept guest. so wrong. Someone will replace Airbnb, then the policies will change fast...

Heather28
Level 4
Frederick, MD

Yes! I am not happy about it, after calling Airbnb for the last week and being told it was a glitch and now that they are doing it as a test to see how many bookings occur without photos, I am not happy. I have four listings and feel unsafe and uncomfortable accepting bookings or inquiries without knowing that identification was verified with the person who's picture and who will be showing up at my door. I will be forced to take down my lisitngs. I will not risk myself and my family's safety. Anonymity leads to crime. 

Best of luck!

Kennedy0
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Kevin!

I know this conversation started a long while ago, but it is still an ongoing issue.

I have a potential guest who so far is refusing to change their photo from one of their cat. They also have not given me their name.

It really does not engender trust at all!!! The last person that was like this was a truly awful guest!

Airbnb makes great comments about saying 'safety is the No1 priority' bu this 'loophole' really should be closed down.

When I last activated the 'require government ID' function, it was like my bookings fell off a cliff edge!!

Hope everyone is having better luck nowadays!?

Kennedy

Host

Brighton UK.

@Kennedy0 Hi Kennedy,

If someone is unwilling to verify their identity, I think that should tell you something right there, shouldn't it? While it is ultimately your choice, even AirBnB says the site is predicated upon trust. If you don't trust someone, then don't host them. Seems pretty simple. 🙂

Cheers,

Jay

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

I agree.

And if you reject them, Airbnb penalizes you.  Then you go down in the rankings.  So best to encourage them to book elsewhere if they make in inquiry.

Kennedy0
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thank you @Jay18, I completely agree with you.

But as Kevin says a bit further down this thread one does get penalised for a cancellation, and I've only just go Superhost status anyway!!! It is quite a conundrum.

I concur with the idea that those who communicate best do tend to be the most respectful.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

Kennedy

@Kennedy0 If YOU cancel the reservation without reason, then of course AirBnB will penalize you. However, if they do not have a profile picture, mislead you with any reply to your questions, etc. you CAN have AirBnB cancel their reservation. Just call them and explain the circumstances.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

I agree Kennedy!  It sucks!  And Airbnb promised at one of their meetings to fix this problem.  But here in Asia it is alive and well.

I find the guests who tend to prefer anonymity, tend to be messier and less respectful.  

Some will comply with requests to change their profile pic to a correct picture.

Kennedy0
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes it sucks.

99.9 percent of guests have been great! But it seems you can tell a lot about someone who will not communicate.

all the best,

Kennedy