Profile Pictures

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Profile Pictures

Does Airbnb require a valid profile picture?

I ask, as a lot of my guests from Asian countries appear to be teddy bears, stuffed dog toys, cartoon characters, or practically invisible as the photo was taken in such a dark room, that I cannot discern who they are.

What is Airbnb`s policy about the profile picture, and how is it enforced?  Is it enforced?

I`ve been pointing out to potential guests that they want to see who I am, and clear photos of my home.  Shouldn`t I get the same from them?

And shouldn`t you?

Kevin

103 Replies 103
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Kevin-s0, yes, AirBnB stipulates - but unfortunately doesn't enforce - that clear, front-face photos are to be used in the profile.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/67/why-do-i-need-to-have-an-airbnb-profile-or-profile-photo

You'll simply need to alert potential guests that their faces need to be clear and visible so that you can see who is actually booking with you.

-----------------------------------------------

More essential reading for hosts.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Thanks Donna!  I`ve reported a few guests who either have a teddy bear as their photo or are using someone else`s photo. (the latter I would think, would be a real no-no!)

I have urged some guests to do so and will refuse ones that do not comply in the future.

I just had a guest refuse to change her profile picture to her actual face. I told her that this is required by airbnb. She didn't want to share the picture so badly that she cancelled the reservation. 

I had a Taiwanese man with a paper-bag over his head as his profile pic, get nasty after I pointed it out to me.

I guess he wants to be "The Unknown Guest!"   Just like the Unknown Comic.

I wish Airbnb would get onto this. As it really damages their reputation and puts hosts at risk.

I'm also in that situation. I would cancel. I would happily email my face pic to a host though, but do not want it on the Internet. 

I seem to have this problem a lot lately. I have been asking guests to update their unclear pictures, and so far most have. One person did not, and she turned out to be a loud, disruptive, dirty guest. So I won't be accepting any more reservations from unclear pictures. 

Hi,

In the link provided, AirBnB never states a requirement to post a face photo, but a "profile photo". That can be any thing!

It also indicates what makes for a "strong profile". That's a guidance, but not a requirement.

I believe the AirBnB software should reject posting any photo not corresponding to a face or person. Profile photoss of pets or symbols are not useful to foster trust, and do not help me as host to establish a connection prior opening my home to guests.

After situations simlar to those other hosts share, and until AirBnB reviews this issue, I have included in my House Rules that only guests with clear photos of themselves are accepted.

Thanks.

I am one of those people who you are complaining about not having a "real photo".  I do not photograph well and therefore never stand infront of a camera.  I was a professional model for years and after adding too much weight and aging...including the white hair, I refuse to be captured on film.  If you look at my photo, it shows a child from 1850.  That is the era of the historic home that we are offering for bnb.  If someone states that they want to see a photo, I am not sure how I would achieve that.  I understand that you want true selfies but sometimes that just isnt possible without turning people off.   I have actually refused one young woman, and told her why.  She had a picture of herself with her tonge sticking out.  I found it offensive and said so.  Would it please you more if I had a picture of one of my modelling shoots...real picture but dont look like that  thirty years later.

Perhaps to solve an issue there should be a passport photo?  FYI, nothing negative has been said about our bookings  and to date I have been booked 98% of the time.  I prefer that people meet the inside me and not the outside me first.  People are very judgemental especially for those that are somewhat heavy. ( BTW...not heavy either)

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

I guess those are good points Judy.  A friend of mine, whom I know is a great guy, gets rejected for his profile picture (I figure).  He complained that Japanese won`t host him.  He is caucasian.

In his profile pic, he looks a bit scary, perhaps, if you don`t know him.

For traveling folks it is better to see the host's face, for me as the host is unnerving not to be able to recognize who my guests are. I tend not to refuse guests if they have a confusing photo on their profile but have to say it does not make me feel comfortable while awaiting them. If they already have to provide a recognizable selfie to their Airbnb profile to be approved for booking, why not to allow hosts to see it as well? 

Louise277
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I had a guest this weekend whose profile picture was a dog. The name was Pat and I wrongly assumed said person would be male. Turned out to be a fairly unpleasant character who gave a ridiculously poor review. From now on I will not host guests who show themselves to be a dog in the photo.

I would beware of guests who are not showing their real photo. I never take those. If there is any problem with the booking (guest not willing to even write a sentence about themselves) I decline. I am hosting in my family home and need to know who are my guests. 

Wouldn't it be nice if the folks at AirBnB put a little more effort into making their platform a better place for hosts? After all, without us hosts, AirBnB would be, well, n-o-t-h-i-n-g. 

my guess is that Airbnb is so enindated with law suites that they can’t take care of the small stuff. If there was an appointed employee that  inspected the homes for the necessities and made sure standards were met there would be no need for the rating system. As for the pI’m i pictures just instruct guests to repprt

as found