Profile and Reviews are not matching? Is it Suspicious?

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Profile and Reviews are not matching? Is it Suspicious?

I have a new booking. It originally came in as an inquiry from Meg with no profile and no reviews. She said she was on a road trip from NY to CA and would arrive at my CA cabin in 3 days.

I asked if she had stayed in an Airbnb before since she seemed to understand how it worked but had zero reviews. She said, oops, I logged into the wrong account. She sent something that was blocked; next, I get a suspicious notification from Airbnb asking if I want to report her. I didn't because I have no idea what she sent to prove she logged into the wrong profile.

After that, she instant booked as Meggan. She has 5-5 star reviews. Her communication seems normal for the most part. She asked questions about the area and the fires. I sent her a thank you for booking a message; then, I noticed the reviews didn't match up.

Dan was great
Kerrie was great
Dan and Meggan were great
Leslie was great
Meg was great

A couple of the reviews had her name, so I thought, well, maybe she's been booking for others. Then she sends a note that she may not be reachable, so not to worry if she does not respond to my communication before her arrival.

I'm just not sure about his one.

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jillian115  It would certainly give me pause, but since the original profile she booked under said Meg and the other also mentions Meg, I'd assume she made 3rd party bookings for others, which of course isn't okay, buty maybe she didn't know that and the hosts didn't object.

It's too bad she may not be reachable between now and check-in, so you can ask, but as you say her communications have been okay, I wouldn't stress out too much, but I would ask to see ID when she arrives, and if it's not Meg or Meggan, refuse entry.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jillian115 When a guest books and links the other guests in to the booking with their Airbnb profiles, all the linked guests get the review on their profile, but it has the name of the booking guest, of course. Those reviews would have been group trips, most likely. The one that doesn't make sense is "meg was great" since  the "Meg" profile has no reviews. Maybe she has a friend named Meg. But what is she doing with more than one profile?? What a gong show. Hope this all turns out ok for you!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jillian115 

Don’t be surprised if she shows up with Dan, Kerrie, and her other brother Meg.

It’s odd that she’s using more than one account. People who do that probably have a reason, and it might not be an honest one.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jillian115 

Or maybe it’s something as innocent as having multiple personalities, most of which are non-violent.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I would assume Meg is short for Meggan. Dan is likely a boyfriend who has used her profile to book. Who knows, the profile could have at one time said "Meg & Dan" and she broke up with Dan (or Dan broke up with her, we'll never know) and she needed a fresh start and decided her life would feel more mature if she went back to "Meggan." Kerrie and Leslie are a stretch.

This has happened to me multiple times. Guest starts searching without logging in and Airbnb "creates" them a profile with one click. After communicating they realize verify all over again is a pain so they log into their primary account. 

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Emilia42 Thats interesting I didn't know it was just one click to create a profile. crazy. @Colleen253  I also didn't know that reviews appear on linked accounts. I only ever host two so it tends to be couples under one account. Thank you all  for you feedback. I'm feeling a little better about it. We shall see how it goes.  @Sarah977 @Brian2036