Profile pictures not matching?

Tony146
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Profile pictures not matching?

I knew there were quite a lot o complains about the fake profile pictures, either intentional or unintentional one.

Here is my experience:

1. An Asian guest booked a room in a flat which was supposed to be girls only (as stated on the Ad, there is no option to restrict male/female guest on AIrbnb). It was difficult to tell from his/her name. But the profile picture was a girl. When he turns up, it freak me out.

2. There was middle east another football friend coming for a match, whose profile was an European. I was very surprised when he turned up. At least that time was a guy but it's a different person showing on the profile.

3. There was another girl booking with a profile picture of cats...

As a host, I tried to be honest to Airbnb and my guest.

Airbnb, can you do more? Profile picture and ID check is the first line of defense for the host safety.

21 Replies 21
Cynthia24
Level 2
Tyler, TX

I have a guest with part of a news paper as their profile picture. I mentioned my concern over not having a picture of them and/or their family since they want to stay for a week in our cabin and asked for them to post one. I am not sure why, but it is comforting for me to "see" the person that plans on staying on our property. It is equally alarming not to have a valid photo...it makes you wonder what they are hiding!

I left this post EIGHT years ago and nothing has happened about memes (whatever that is) or pictures of flowers etc for identity. SO much for being a valued host.

Marco50
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I currently have a lady (guest). She is clearly not the same person as the lady in the profile picture (different race) (note: I do not have problems with people race, on the contrary I love and celebrate differences as I am sure most in this community do.

I was advice to address this with the guest (I couldn't believe it!!). I told them I did not want to do it my self and that this is an Airbnb responsibility (to verify the identity). 

I was told that some times a different person books the place on behalf of the actual guest. I know that, and in all cases they have let me know if that is the case. Also in the request, this lady stated: I will be in the city for a few days on business, so this is clearly not one of those cases. 

I am very concerned and for hours I have not received any response from Airbnb. I have a safety camera outside of my property (this is how I caught the issue and the camera is disclosed in my listing). I offered Airbnb to send the video if necessary but again, no response. 

It is as simple as making a video call to the guest or there are ways to ask to take a self-picture to compare with the ID provided, or just check the video and see if the lady is the same as the ID you have on file. 10 min max. 

If I was dealing with danger people (I don't know at this point), taking hours to resolve this is unacceptable. 

This might be putting in risk my family, my own safety and my neighbor's. 

I am absolutely disappointed of the sense of urgency showed by Airbnb in this case. 

How do I escalate?

dangerous*

lack of sense of urgency*

Cynthia24
Level 2
Tyler, TX

It seems guests’ identity is more important than the safety of the hosts when it comes to id’s and people booking for someone else to stay. I pointed out to one person that did that that they did realize they are responsible for any damages.

Update. We have sensors in the doors and video security camera in the outside (all disclosed in the page). Airbnb talked to the guest and she said she is staying here and her sister is visiting her. 

Airbnb told the guest that I was concerned about the situation (why would they tell that to the guest... I believe this should be between guest and airbnb)

Guest offered a video call, I took it and talked to her. 

The lady I talked to is the same as in the profile picture. Only problem is that the lady staying in my property is not her. 

The lady I talked to assured that she was staying here and stuck to her story. She also expressed concern about the surveillance I was putting on her...(!!!!???...)

As I said, we know who and when anyone has entered my place and it is not the lady I talked to. 

I sent pictures of who has entered the property and when to airbnb. 

At this point, I just want them out. The lady is lying to my face.  I don't know why she is lying but I have all documented in case there is an issue. 

I have had three people stay at my place using the same check in ID over a month or more. It took the third one to convince me I was not imagining it. The guest picture was a cartoon looking picture. We have lots of dollars invested in our cabins and feel we deserve to SEE who is coming to stay for our safety and our current guests. I really do WANT real pictures of the people coming to stay at our places.