Profile pictures not matching?

Tony146
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Profile pictures not matching?

I knew there were quite a lot o complains about the fake profile pictures, either intentional or unintentional one.

Here is my experience:

1. An Asian guest booked a room in a flat which was supposed to be girls only (as stated on the Ad, there is no option to restrict male/female guest on AIrbnb). It was difficult to tell from his/her name. But the profile picture was a girl. When he turns up, it freak me out.

2. There was middle east another football friend coming for a match, whose profile was an European. I was very surprised when he turned up. At least that time was a guy but it's a different person showing on the profile.

3. There was another girl booking with a profile picture of cats...

As a host, I tried to be honest to Airbnb and my guest.

Airbnb, can you do more? Profile picture and ID check is the first line of defense for the host safety.

21 Replies 21
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tony146  Do you have instant booking?  If you want to restrict your listing, it would be best for you to have the opportunity to have the guest confirm their own identity is messaging.  You could state in your message that you want the potential guest has read your description and understands your rule about women only.  Don't wait for Air BNB to do something that you can take some control over as it might be a long wait!  Good luck.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tony146

I agree fully with you Tony.

i have an acronym for it Airbnb should Stop Hosting Incognito Travelers or **bleep**S for short

Regards 

cormac

Y

Totally agree I have come across this lately as hosts we need to know who our guests are with more information. Come on Airbnb sort this out.

Tony146
Level 2

Sometime, if I asked the guest for their gender or sex orientation, they will feel offended, lol.

You don't have to ask that question specifically. Send a message that states you ask everyone to read and agree to your rules which includes women only in your rental space.

Tony146
Level 2

Sometimes, you can provide better service if you know who your guest is in advance. For example, I have different shampoos, shower gel and cups for different guests.

Karyo0
Level 4

Why would you ask a guest of their gender or sexual orientation?

Tony146
Level 2

I tried to provide different style of beddings based on the guest's background. I did make a mistake previously with a cute and pinky bedding set when a gentleman booked with a lady's profile picture. It was very embarrassing for both parties.

Wow. This is a very big mistake, in my opinion. I don't think you should be making judgments like that. I'm female, but I would really hate pink frilly bedding. It's a much better idea to supply white sheets to all. 

Tony146
Level 2

Yes, I learnt from the lesson. But some person will consider white bedding too cold just like a hospital. I started using warm colours just like creamy yellow or pale blue. Hopefully no one complains....

Pamela163
Level 1
New York, NY

I have had the same problem.  And it's not fair to hosts.

Teresa214
Level 1
Coos Bay, OR

I just got this email (copied & pasted)

Dates are not real. How much would you charge for 2-3 months. Trying to move back. Its my husband until the house sells in wyoming. He'd be working for mike bowers trucking

The picture doesn't match. I'm new to this and a bit frighted.

Teresa

I would be concerned too. Most transactions are above board but I have had a couple of scams happen too. Go with your "gut" and contact support. It may not do any good but at least you will have tried to protect yourself and other hosts, as well as Airbnb. No way would I do it outside of Airbnb.

Hi @Teresa214, it may actually be legit. I have had people contact me with just any random dates, trying to find out whether I'd be available at some future time (not the dates they request).  

You could contact Mike Bowers Trucking and find out whether they are expecting a new guy from Wyoming, they may well be helpful since their new guy will need a place to stay!  Just tell them you are an Airbnb host and want to ask if they can confirm that they are expecting a new hire from Wyoming. She may be the one with the web savvy to do the AB inquiries while he does the trucking, which would explain the different photos.... Let us know what happens!  kind of  mystery story....