Property Damage

Han14965
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

Property Damage

A guest in the message confessed that his girlfriend hit my garage door on accident, I need to contact the roller door supplier to inspect the damage and provide a tax invoice to fix it. I made a claim immediately in the resolution. The repairment and replacement spend me over AU$4,000 in total.
However, because there was the same day check-in, Airbnb Community Support closed the request and said it is their final decision, based on the Airbnb Host Guarantee policy——"for damages to be eligible under our Host Guarantee, Hosts must notify Airbnb and the responsible guest, and attempt to resolve the loss and/or physical damages within 14 days of check-out or before your next guest checks in, whichever is earlier."
I don't understand the purpose of this so-called Host Guarantee is to protect hosts rights or just an official excuse to evade the responsibility.

I have three simple questions:
1. Why can't I get compensation when the guest confessed the damage caused by his girlfriend?
2. How to make an in-time request when it is a same-day check in&out, and it is to be some third party to fix the damage?
3. Is Host Guarantee policy "Hosts must notify Airbnb and the responsible guest, and attempt to resolve the loss and/or physical damages within 14 days of check-out or before your next guest checks in, whichever is earlier” is to protect the host, or just a "PERFECT EXCUSE" to avoid responsibility from Airbnb?
3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Han14965 

This issue "claim damage before next guest checks-in" is mentioned frequently in the community.

But Airbnb always follows this rule staict, so be aware of it for next claims.

Although the guests admitted the damage, they refuse to pay ?

Probably "the girlfriend" will have some kind of insurrance (car, personal liability ?) for such damages.

Dorothy128
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Polish_20210815_221748097.jpgHello @Han14965,

I too am in the situation needing help and some sort of pay back from a guests deposit for leaving my laminate floor scraped. It is very noticeable as it's a arch scrape just as you walk inside the front door. I am not pleased at all and ha ing asked the guest about it and Airbnb, providing evidence in a photo, before the next guest arrived, I have been quite frankly ignored. What is going on here? We pay Airbnb a lot of money to take care of Polish_20210815_221748097.jpgsuch matters and here we are - both with damaged property and no one but ourselves to pay the bill. Come on???!!!!!

@Dorothy128

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

We’re really pleased to share some details with you that were recently announced. All Hosts will soon have access to Aircover, a free top-to-cover protection. 

Please let us know how you like the new service by sharing your thoughts here on the Community Center once it has launched. Host feedback is always very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liv