Property Registration and Legal Permit in India

Mansi0
Level 1
Bengaluru, India

Property Registration and Legal Permit in India

Hello all you wonderful hosts in India!

I hope you are having a great time hosting interesting people and shariang exciting experiences!

My question is about legality of hosting a property on Airbnb in India and the permits/registration required to do so. From Airbnb’s website, I understand that hosts are responsible for communicating this with the local government.  I have contacted the Ministry of Tourism office, here in Bangalore, who suggested registration of a property listing for home-stay or bed and breakfasts is not mandatory and establishments can be run without any restriction.

However, after going through the section under Responsible Hosting - Registration of Guests ( https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/responsible-hosting ), I believe the regulations in India require maintaining a register for guest check-in and check-out records. Furthermore, there are certain forms like Form C  and Form F , which property and listing details need to be mentioned. This contradicts the statement by the representative from the Ministry of Tourism and the ambiguity still prevails.

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experiences and advise on how you have gone about the legality of your listing registration, permits and guest records.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Mansi

131 Replies 131

@Parvinder0  hope your problem solved. Plz share ur no. How it is?

Pusparag0
Level 2
Kolkata, India

Hi,

Could someone help me with the latest legal requirements for Hosting. I have a spare room in my apartment which i am willing to utilize by hosting through Airbnb. But the unclarity of the legal rules is making me sweat. So please help! Is it necessary to register the space with department of tourism? I see many people in Mysore hosting their space but not sure if everyone has registered?

Hi Pusparag,

Did you sort out your problems ? 

Apologies, but this is not relevent to your topic.

Could you please help me out on setting up host formalities in bangalore?

I have a 3 bed flat which is newly renovated to high standards.

Kind Regards,

Sanjay

Natasha42
Level 1
Mumbai, India

Hi Mansi, 

I have had a similar problem with the society of my building. They haven't even heard of air bnb and are filing a claim against me stating that I am illegally putting listings on a website and getting money from it because it is a residential complex. They have something against foreign nationals and are very orthodox about the idea of having paying guests. I have asked a society and corporative lawyer in which he said it is not illegal to have tenants in your house or apartment or to sublet and there is a supreme court judgement that says so. I am taking it up with my society but until the time it gets solved, I'm not going to take new bookings as I do not want problems with my guests. Hope we can find a joint solution to the problems we are facing. 

Thanks, 

natasha 

Hi Natasha,

I would be great if you could keep us posted on any update. I'll do the same too.

Thanks

Hi, can we connect over phone and help each other to grow the hosting community in India?

Hello Natasha,

I too foresee similar problem with my property in a housing society. It will be great if we can connect and help each other grow the Airbnb hosting community in Maharashtra.

You can reach me on nine one five eight five four seven one seven one

Hi amit

Can you share your number, we need to talk. my number **

all host who are facing problem in running homestays, we can form a group and file a case jointly, it will be an grat impact

regards

ajay

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Natasha,

My society has suddenly created an issue after hosting my apartment for around 3 years.

( seems like some members are jealous and cant bear someone else making money through such hosting).

Could you send me the link or case no related to supreme court judgement ? Will help me significantly while talking to tourism department or lawyers...

Thanks in advance !

Sanjeev

this is ajay please call me on [Phone number hidden for safety reasons]

i Also rent out my apartment 

Hi sanjeev

Can you share your number, we need to talk. my number is **

all host who are facing problem in running homestays, we can form a group and file a case jointly, it will be an grat impact

regards

ajay

Hi Natasha

i have been running home stays in mumbai for 4 yrs. My next door neighbor has been instigating the society to take action and the society committe told me to go their lawyer, they did not know that i cannot consult their lawyer

the question over hear is whether an individua can run homestays, as per co-operative society act , well you can rent out the rooms.

Is this business legal ? well according to me yes, so its better to hire a lawyer who can put up your case an obtain an order from the court that you have all the right to lively hood and that its a legal business

i am doing so

regards

aj

Hi Natasha

Can you share your number, we need to talk. my number is **

regards

ajay

Hi Ajay,

Please get back to me on nine-eight-two-three-4-4-one -six-6-two I need advice on this as  I am facing the same Issue in Mumbai.

Regards,

Nishikant.

Hi Natasha, can you help us about any update on this topic?