Property listed in wrong county

Jacky26
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Property listed in wrong county

Airbnb have my property located in Nevada County, CA and say they are collecting and submitting occupancy taxes on my behalf.  However, the property is actually in neighboring Placer County where I have to collect and submit the taxes myself.  How can I change the assigned county for the property?

10 Replies 10
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Jacky26

You will have to contact airbnb customer service with your GPS coordinates and they will put it right.

Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Good luck on getting AirBnB to adjust your listing.  We've got one in Placer Co as well that they listed as Eldorado Co.  We've shown them more documentation then they could possibly need to correct the issue and have been waiting over 7 months.  All the while they are paying TOT to the wrong county.  They suggested I see  a tax professional to try to get the money back from Eldorado??? WTF.   They are wrong and I have to chase down their errors.   We are considering taking them to small claims court, in Placer County.  **bleep** White - Tahoma Meadows 

Ken320
Level 2
Thornton, CO

@Dick-and-Ulli0 @Jacky26  @Jeff158  I've got the same issue in Osceola county FL. Spoke to Airbnb customer service, submitted the coordinates as required. They told me it could be several months. In the meantime I still need to pay taxes. The guest are getting charged a tax but taxes are being sent to the wrong county. Airbnb submits the payment in bulk so no way of me getting any amount refunded from Polk county.  No way to expedite this process. I'm out of idea's on what else I can do other than be extremely patient and continue to pay taxes out of pocket. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

So far my expedited issue has taken over 8 months with no movement.  They only thing AirBnB did was move all my listings to a city in Southern California, over 600 miles away.   I'm beginning to think they don't know how to read maps at all.   My next step is to take them to small claims court in the proper county.   Even that hasn't gotten them to budge.   I can tell you it will cost them a ton more to send someone up from SF to Lake Tahoe to court rather then just do it right.     I'm finding AirBnB really doesn't care about hosts beyond getting their commissions.  So much for the hospitality business. 

Good luck

Ian-And-Eury0
Level 2
Occidental, CA

We are in the same boat for Placer/Nevada.  Both counties tax people have been really helpful and trying to help us find a workaround, which is great, but also ridiculous since its airbnbs mistake.  Airbnb has had TERRIBLE service for this issue and refused to tell us how much they paid the wrong county. They must have realized they were paying the wrong county since they stoped collecting the TOT at all and never told us.  

Im curious if anyone had had luck with small claims court or if that's even an option since we all probably signed some arbitration clause with them

Steve2767
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Same issue here in Big Bear Lake California.  

after hours of contacting different customer support reps, finally figured out how to override this, you need to go to account settings: then click on "professional hosting tools".  Upgrade your account - and then you can edit your tax collection rates. 

We've had the same issue with taxes collected for the wrong county/city in CO and AirBnB told us it would take 18-24 months to fix! Crazy since VRBO was able to correct it in 24 hours. @Steve2767 - were you able to delete the taxes they were collecting and manually enter your own? I would happily take this as an option, but I don't see an option to delete what they've entered as a default. Any help appreciated, thanks!

In order to edit this, you need to upgrade to a professional hosting account.  

You need to click on account settings; then upgrade to a professional account - "professional hosting tools" - tab below.  Then once you're upgraded, they allow you to override these settings. 

Thanks @Steve2767 . I've had the professional hosting tools upgraded, and added the actual taxes that need to be collected, but it still shows these taxes being collected. Is there an area in the listing, pricing, or account settings where it allows the override to the imported taxes? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 10.49.18 PM.png