Property listing not giving what guests are looking for.

Javier1029
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

Property listing not giving what guests are looking for.

What was my surprise when i tried to find my own property by the specific name of the town ( Griñón, 30 km away from madrid) and first properties listed were in a different town 20 km away from griñon. My property appeared in second page, none of the first page properties was in Griñon. Amazing.

How come airbnb is giving such a dissapointing experience to guests when they know where they want to stay. If there were no houses listed in griñon, i can understand they show the nearest houses. But having houses in the exact place where travelers are looking for and showing properties km away ... it just does not make sense!! 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Javier1029 

Search results are not only about location but also about popularity of a listing in same area.

If you zoom in on the map one level, your listing is on page 1.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Javier1029  I agree with about the searching issue in terms of the location. The mapping software does have various issues as reported by a few hosts in this forum.

Besides the real software issue, Airbnb does intend to put a larger area in order to show more listings for a search. 

Hopefully Airbnb understands what the purpose of a guest search for in order to improve user experience. When user put a city or a locations, they are more interested  to see the listings near that destination instead of some cheaper places which are far away.

I have tested search a few cities, some listings more than 60 miles away from the city in another city appear on the first page. 

Javier1029
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

I do not think this search engine behaviour is good for guests in any sense. I had cancellations before from guests that searched in Madrid, and found my house. Later, they had to cancel when they noticed my house is in a different town 30 km away. 

And , on the other hand, being a not touristic place, Griñon has several wedding places, i am sure people look for places to sleep in the same town, to avoid driving long distances after the wedding event, and airbnb is showing them places that dont match their needs. Having my house right there! 

In my view, booking.com search works much better and i have to admit that when i travel i usually book my accomodation with them.  Being an airbnb host!