Pulling my listing for a while

Mark3101
Level 1
Jacksonville, FL

Pulling my listing for a while

I was looking to pull my listing for the summer as my daughter plans to live in my property. That would require I cancel a handful of reservations. Is there anything I should be aware from an Airbnb penalties perspective before I make this move?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark3101  You would need to contact Airbnb and explain the situation and see if they will let you cancel under the extenuating circumstances policy. If they won't, the cancellations will result in loss of Superhost status, "The host cancelled this reservation XX days before check-in" for each reservation pasted on your review page (which will make prospective guests wary of booking with you) and you will be fined $50-$100 per cancellation. Depending on how long the reservations are for, it might be worthwhile to honor them and pay for somewhere else for your daughter to stay during that time.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You will be charged. It can be as high as $100 per canceled reservation.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for...

It doesn't look like you have too many reservations for the summertime at this point. If I were you I would still honor the reservations, have your daughter stay at a friends or go camping during the few nights that are booked and then give her the money or take it out of her rent. 

A good life lesson of following through with previous commitments  🙂

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I would honor your existing reservations in order to maintain your Superhost status and to not put your guests out. They may not be able to find another reservation; try to think about how you would feel in their situation.

@Mark3101  Your situation doesn't meet the criteria for Extenuating Circumstances, so cancelling those bookings would basically mean murdering your listing's desirability and putting an end to what is currently an excellent reputation as a host. This is not a good plan if you have any intention of doing Airbnb again in the future.

However, if your daughter is able to assist you with honoring those existing bookings so that you stay on the up and up, you have a way forward. You can block the remainder of the unbooked dates and pause the listing, there's no penalty for that.