Punitive reviews when guests have done the wrong thing/Location reviewed rather than property

Andy30
Level 2
Broome, Australia

Punitive reviews when guests have done the wrong thing/Location reviewed rather than property

Hi 

I have recently had two guests either not declare they have children or list them as infants to avoid paying for the extra guest fees. On each occasion I contacted air BnB and they sorted the situation out well and promptly. However on both occassions the guests left extremely low star ratings unlike my usual ratings and punitive reviews. I have contacted Air BnB and asked them to look as some policies around when situations like this occur in order to protect hosts. I feel that any rating given should not impact on the standard you have achieved and any review under these circumstances should not be allowed to be made public what do you think?

Secondly I have had a number of reviews that totally ignore the accomodation, facilities and ameneties offered and just reviewed the location. Guests chose the location there is a clear discription and advice on accessing transport and they can see the location on the map. Therfore guests make an informed choise when making a booking. I have again contacted Air BnB and asked them to consider the unfairness of making a review public that has no relation to the accomodation booked. I am interested to hear others thoughts and expereinces in this question. 

Thanks

Andy 

7 Replies 7
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

If guests showed up with surprise children you could have turned them away at check in. Also, Airbnb recently told me they don't consider "infants" (0 - 2 yrs) as extra guests. I questioned this because my 2 person listing was being shown as an option for couples who searched for 2 adults and 1 infant - even though my listing has "Not suitable for children 0 -2 years old" checked. I was also told I can indeed charge for infants if I list the charge in my house rules. So add to your listing description that you will charge for all guests regardless of age. Please review guests who show up with extra people honestly, so future hosts will know that they might arrive with their little surprises!

As for location - I've had a guest give only 4 stars for location - even though they specifically wanted to go wine tasting and my place is within a couple miles of 4 vineyards. I guess I would have had grapes growing in the yard to get 5 stars on location from them!

I have had 3 punitive reviews within a month from a guy who was drunk through his stay, a guy that flatly refused to leave my place, and a guy that insisted that I gave him bedbugs because he had a rash (despite no proof, and hard evidence to the contrary). I also had a guy that sexually harassed me.

I'm totally flummoxed.  Airbnb and even the police were involved, but these dudes still get to leave their 1 star reviews.  After a year as a SH and 96% approval, my metrics will dip to 4.7 and the police are firmly advising me to quit the business. 

@Andy30 you are entirely correct that these retaliatory reviews are a problem.

Hosts are often walking on eggshells because they worry about doing the littlest thing to upset a guest who might write a bad review. But what happens when the guest is causing a problem that must be handled?

I do have some sympathy for the Airbnb customer service people who have to mediate in these circumstances. You, the host, know what actually happened. But the customer service person only has a phone, and two people telling very different stories. I imagine it is sometimes challenging to figure out what exactly happened. It is probably a bit like Roshamon.

Andy30
Level 2
Broome, Australia

One thing i have learned lately is that if someone books your place and others stay that did not make the booking any reviews can be removed by Air BnB. I definately get fairer reviews and feel more supported using other sites. 

Mindy37
Level 2
Litchfield, MN

I recently had a guest from hell. He arrived two days late, and was upset that I didn't have private, secured parking for my apartment that was UPSTAIRS in our small downtown. My listing was clear about where the parking is for all the downtown apartments: In a City owned lot that's 30 minutes' walk to the back entrance. Because he was so concerned about his trailer full of parts, I also contacted a friend who would allow this guy to leave his trailer in his own driveway, which was very open and visible from their rural home. The tenant didn't reply to my suggestion that I could do this for him. I sent him extremely detailed directions on exactly where the apartment was, how to self-check-in, and exactly where the overnight parking lot was. Twice, I messaged him screen shots of google satellite so he could see the lot in relation to the apartment entrance. I was out of state when he finally arrived, and he was SO confused, trying to get in the back door, which was locked. I told him (again) that the mailbox was in the front street entrance, and that's where the keys were. He walked around to the front of the building, called me back. This time he was trying to get into other doors in our main street, that were several buildings north of mine. Note: The actual number of the apartment entrance is in large numbers on the door! I also told him where it was in relation to the business on the other side of the street. While I walked him through it, he finally opened the correct door and was able to get into the apartment. Three days later I messaged him that I hope his stay was a good one, and reminded him of how to check out, where to leave the keys, etc. At that point I got a message from him saying "I need to stay another night. Do you want me to leave the cash on the table when I go?" I explained to him that he could NOT stay another night, as I had a new tenant arriving in two days and my cleaning protocol required this time to prepare for her. He said I don't need to have her come, he'll leave the apartment clean. I told him that no, I could not allow him to stay another night, and he needed to vacate the building by  11am the next day. I recommended two inexpensive motels down the road. Then I got a message from him being very critical of the cleanliness of the apartment, telling me that the sheets hadn't been changed, and he and his wife had to use their own bedding. This was a complete and absolute LIE. Well, he left at noon the next day (an hour late), and he left a very brief two word written review, but he gave me all 3 star ratings, including for cleanliness, ease of finding the apartment, and location. The location and the apartment directions were so very clear, it was laughable to me that he was so confused, but his horrific review left me shaking in anger. This was punitive. Because he wasn't allowed to stay another night. I've been an airbnb super host for 3 years. I've only had 5 star reviews. BTW I am aware that this apartment is not a 5 star hotel; it's an apartment, neat, clean, well-equipped and well-located. The review should be based on comfort, communication, and the degree to which the host bends over backwards to assure you a pleasant stay. I worked harder trying to satisfy this fellow than I normally have to, yet he did nothing but disparage my efforts, and then make up criticism so he could trash me in his rating. I'm disappointed that Airbnb can't look into this further. They said his review didn't "break any rules" so they can't pull it. But they should certainly be able to make an exception after hearing my story, and knowing that this is the ONLY review I've had that is less than 5 star. I offered to send them screen shots of all our correspondence, during which I so clearly gave him detailed information. There should be a way to simply pull a review that is so wildly different from every other review I've ever received. Airbnb people were sympathetic, but said they could do nothing. Unfortunately, I replied to his review before I realized that he'd given me all 3 star ratings, so I didn't have the opportunity to break each star down in my defense. Can I edit my reply to his review? I have asked them. I would like to have the opportunity to clearly and calmly explain my side of things. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Mindy37 Are you referring to the review from "David"? Did he leave you 'horrific' private feedback? Because his public review is fine. I know it's distressing when a guest does this, and leaves poor star ratings, but in the bigger picture, the star ratings are not worth worrying about. They exist more as a way for Airbnb to exert mind control over hosts. Guests will simply read your very nice reviews and decide based on that, that your place is a great choice. Airbnb won't remove that review as it doesn't violate the review policy, and while you can't edit a response, you can request that it be removed. 

Incidentally, guests aren't able to see what other guests have awarded you in each star category, so to 'break down each star down in my defense' is not helpful in a response, will not provide clarity for guests, and can make you come across as petty and whiny. Be brief, neutral and factual  in your responses, and remember that the main goal is to reassure future guests that they are making the right choice in staying with you.

Hello, I'm glad to know that other guests can't see the breakdown of stars. And yes, David left me very bad feedback, which came as a result, I believe, of me being unable to host him for another night. BTW he didn't ask, just informed me that he'd be staying another night and would leave the money on the table, something that didn't sit well with me. I was unable to accommodate because I had another guest coming, but he was not happy that I asked him to check out at the originally booked date. I was actually worried that my cleaning lady would arrive to find that he hadn't left; he was pretty aggressive in PMs to me. Anyway, your reply to me has reassured me. My experience with him was just so unpleasant, it was a kick in the teeth after having only great airbnb hosting experiences. I'll direct my energies into keeping my future guests happy with the service.