Queen bed reviewed by guest as a double

Nate-And-Kaylee0
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

Queen bed reviewed by guest as a double

Hello all!

I have a property with a queen bed in the bedroom, yet it has repeatedly been reviewed by guests as a double bed. More then once Guests have given a 4 star review stating “the bed is comfy but it’s a double not a queen”, which stresses me because it is most definitely a queen bed and listed as such! So when guests think it’s a double they review poorly. How do I address this? 

18 Replies 18
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nate-And-Kaylee0 Is it an American Queen or a European Queen or an English Queen?

Whatever the bed size I thought the guest a bit picky for expecting electricity.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Absolutely! It IS picky to expect electricity when a storm has outed the power to the entire community/surrounding area! 😄

It is an American queen. I’m thinking I’ll take a picture of the bed size label and add it to the listing....

I agree about the guest being picky is regards to power outage after a storm. It is my understanding that it’s not required of me to refund anything when the power is out, I did that out of kindness. And it still back lashed. The power was expected to be back on the day the guests arrived, and it wasn’t. I try to put myself in their shoes. It just sucks when you can’t satisfy a guest. 

@Nate-And-Kaylee0,

The comments about the bed size are unusual, but they can be impactful.  I would respond to correct any misconception.  Like @Lisa723, I wouldn't be inclined to rent a space in the US that has a double bed.  I am more flexible when traveling to other countries though.

From my personal interactions and learning from other hosts' experiences, it's become clear to me that we hosts must over communicate to our guests to better manager their expectations.  I have listed in the Things to Know section and house rules what we will do and what to expect in the event there is interruption to a utility service.  We have generators to supply up to 48 hours electricity for lights, ceiling fan, TV and the fridge.  We will provide a portable cooktop, space heater to temporarily replace the stove and AC/heater.  We also state that the internet service will be down while the power is out.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Nate-And-Kaylee0 ,

Add in your listing announcements the sizes of the queen bed.

Respond to the guest review it’s definitely not a double bed, described the sizes of the queen bed.

In order to future guest notices the sizes of the bed.

Don’t be stressed, happy hosting 😀

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Oh dear, the listing is in the US, what make you though is European Queen or English  Queen 🤪

American Bed SizesAmerican Bed Sizes

@Dale711 Remarkably both people and beds do move between countries. I have no idea if the bed in the listing is American, Canadian or European. Hence the question to the host.

@Nate-And-Kaylee0  Writing a public response to the review gives you a chance to correct any inaccuracies. Just post the exact dimensions of the bed - it's easier to grasp empirical data than to try to intuit the difference between an American Queen and and English Queen and a Drag Queen.

@Anonymous I did wonder if you would pick up on that one!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nate-And-Kaylee0 That's an odd one. Any idea why guests repeatedly think it's a double and not a queen? Not much you can do about that except reply to the review and state the dimensions of the bed, confirming it's a queen. You could also list the dimensions in the bed photo caption.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I can't see a downside to just calling it a double on your listing, @Nate-And-Kaylee0 . It will keep away the folks who want queens to actually be kings, and no one has ever been disappointed that the bed was bigger than they expected. 

When multiple guests complain about something, I try to take notice and change it (or the perception of it) if possible. Sometimes it is just a case of wording. 

@Lawrene0 fwiw that would prevent my husband and me from booking, as guests.

And you wouldn't book, @Lisa723 , and then expect the queen to be bigger than a queen, so that's my advice out the window. There are more of you (one hopes!) than those booking a queen and expecting a king.

Also, it has struck me that it might swing the other way and you would get dinged on accuracy, @Nate-And-Kaylee0 , by a guest trying to help. "It wasn't a double. It was a queen. We loved it, but four stars for accuracy."

Anyway, go with including the dimensions in the description or in the photos. I ended up putting a floor plan in my photos, and it hasn't hurt. 

Thanks, I think I will add dimensions and leave a measuring tape out for

guests to confirm 😉 

@Nate-And-Kaylee0 

In addition of @Anonymous ‘s suggestion, write the real size in the listing AND under the photos.

@Mike-And-Jane0 are almost true.

Size are not the same in different countries.

Italian, Spanish, Swedish, French, US don’t have the same size for similar name.

So queen or king or double does not mean the same thing even in the same country.

In France a double bed can be 140x190cm or 140x200cm.

Be accurate.

And y you will have the pleasure to reply :

« As written in the listing, the bed size is... »