Quest wants to visit prior to check-in date

Pat356
Level 2
Crowley, TX

Quest wants to visit prior to check-in date

Hello, I have been hosting for several years and am a Superhost. I have a guest who has made a reservation, but wants to come see the location and how entry to the property works, I initially declined and said that I would be here when they arrived, because at the time it seemed like an odd request. Is this unusual ?

9 Replies 9
Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

I had an inquiry, not reservation, few days ago requesting the same. No problem, she can come. But how? I have guests, who booked for 8 days and I can't enter the property just to show her this and that... 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Pat356  You have already declined. Then don't change your mind. It is not a good idea for guests to check the property before their check-in. A few days ago, a host had very bad experience for allowing guests to check his property before check-in.

I did not decline, just said that I would be here when she arrived at her scheduled date and time, so that she would not need to visit in advance to see how to get in. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kat84 @Pat356 

Previewing an accomodation is not common on Airbnb. Before a  booking is confirmed it is also a security risk to exchange address information. Better decline such requests.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Pat said that the guest already made a reservation... 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kat84 yes and if she shows her how to enter now and the layout of the house she can cancel it and come and rob her after. This is of course one of the more dramatic results but it happens. She can see everything on the pictures, why the need to come. And these types of guests are always more demanding and rarely satisfied. 

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

In my case this will not happen, because we have 24/7 security guards. But this is an exception.

Thank you for posting this. Safety is number 1 priority! It's better to be informed! 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Pat356 I did previews when I was new, and I no longer do them - no exceptions. There is no legitimate reason a guest should need to see your property before arrival. In my experience, they are either just tire kickers or want to do a deal outside of the system.

If they are concerned about how to enter the property or have other questions, I would offer to meet them at check in and address everything then.

Pat356
Level 2
Crowley, TX

Thank you all for your prompt responses. Seems like we are all on the same page.

Thanks again,

Pat