Question about Prosper/CBIZ/Foremost Insurance with Mortgage

Robert948
Level 1
New York, NY

Question about Prosper/CBIZ/Foremost Insurance with Mortgage

So I understand that these policies are really the only ones that cover short term rentals (have not yet found a home insurer that does STRP). I will be hosting in Tennessee. My question is since these are more business policies than traditional homeowners did switching cause any issues with your mortgage company? Any inquiries or problems in that area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

3 Replies 3
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Robert948 Is it mentioned in your mortgage contract? I'd look there first to see if it is specifically addressed (whether you can do a STR or not). Many mortgage companies in the U.S. now encourage lendees to look into STR options as a means of helping to pay their mortgage. I've even read this in some mortgage company blogs and newsletters. So I think the tide is turning, and I would guess that soon it really won't be an issue, at least here in the U.S. You might want to google your lender and see if they have a blog or newsletter that talks about short term rental of one's home. They may formally support it. Or, they may just look the other way (i.e., 'don't ask, don't tell). I haven't been able to find one case where mortgages have been pulled because of doing a STR (I do think this has happened in the UK); I HAVE heard of cases in the U.S. where the homeowner had their insurance immediately dropped when they called to seek coverage for their STR. So, proceed with caution. I myself switched to Proper and my lender knows I switched and they even had to deal with Proper directly (it all comes out of my escrow account) and they never said a word to me about it.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Robert948 we use Foremost and have not had any mortgage issues. However our property was purchased as a vacation rental in the first place. Check with your lender.

Carrie123
Level 2
Lynnville, TN

So far, knock on wood, we haven't had any issues with our mortgage. I just recently switched to Farm Bureau because no one else could write me a policy to cover ours. I paid the whole year in cash up front and so not sure the mortgage company will ever know because of that. They know I switched insurers but do not know why. Our homeowners coverage is escrowed though so I have 2 separate polices. Hope that helps. This was definatley a challenge for us in figuring out but never thought about if the mortgage comany needs to know really.