Question about hosting a foreign speaking man and who will be with hi

Jean4997
Level 1
Frisco, TX

Question about hosting a foreign speaking man and who will be with hi

I am unsure about a request from a gentleman who does not seem to speak English. I asked if his companion was his wife or girlfriend but got no reply. I am a older retired lady and prefer ladies or married couples. I am new to hosting so am a little nervous about everything.

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jean4997   You are very new, so do not accept any booking that you are not very comfortable with.  If this guest has booked with Instant Booking , then contact Air BNB and ask that the booking be cancelled.  If he has not booked yet and has not answered your questions then decline the request.

After you have more experience you will feel more confident about guests.  You may think you have been clear about your requirement that only men in a couple are allowed, but you do not specify that.  From your description, you allow couples.  It is possible for the couple to be two men.

Why don't you start with women only.  You can change it later when you are more comfortable.

Thanks Linda.  That is probably what I should do.  I have a good friend who is a super host suggest I allow women only because I am living on my own.  I do not intend to discriminate against anyone but understand I have to be careful.  My friend has Grand-daughters in and out of his home so his daughter is not comfortable with him having male guests.

Thanks for your input

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jean4997

If your intention is to allow couples, but only if they are heterosexual and/or married, I think you will run afoul of Airbnb's antidiscrimination rules.

"Airbnb hosts may not

• Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
  • Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
  • Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status."

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnbs-nondiscrimination-policy-our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect

If your listing includes shared space in your home, you are allowed to rent to women only. Maybe you should start with that, as @Linda108 suggested.