Question for Advisory Board - Taxation

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

Question for Advisory Board - Taxation

@Stephanie Hello. I am Jue a host from Nairobi Kenya.

Lovely to interact with you all, our Host Advisory.  I have to questions, concerns,

1/Kenya introduced a DST Digital Service Tax in January 2021 of 1.5%

I see from my Transaction history that Airbnb is collecting this tax. I do not recall an email explaining to me as a Host how Airbnb would go about this but just accidentally bumped into the deductions. Might Airbnb shed some light on this as obviously it will have an impact on pricing both for the guest and for the host.

2/ Secondly, there is no clear cut licensing of the Kenyan Govt of home stays, so of late we as Airbnb hosts are on the spotlight with some agencies trying to impose extra taxes. I am already filng my income tax returns and as I own my home, pay land rates..

So i have played my part and paying taxes.

Q. What may Airbnb do as definitely there is the Policy arm that deals with governments to get a clear point forward? Hosts are now apprehensive and even operating in fear. Of concern is letters from the Tourism Revenue Authority who have written to some hosts demanding that they pay hefty licence fees. Yet we are not hotels. For instance I host in my own home so use it as my home too. So i file returns to KRA ( Kenya Revenue Authority) as personal income, i am not yet at the 50000usd annual turnover threshold for VAT so pay 5% 

Thank you. 

Jue, Nairobi, Kenya

10th April, 20

JMM
8 Replies 8
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Jue0 

Good day! 

Host Advisory Members. Tag Archives, 

@Anna1403 , @Bez8,  @Antonella78@Susan208@Till-and-Jutta0,  @Nutth0@Norma17@Peter1@Merrydith0, @Pascale144@Omar202@Pooja30@Tiffany204@Vinícius0@Shinya0@Ningyi0@Samuel604 

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Dale711 Thank you...yes this post specifically for the Host Advisors.

@stephanieAdmin could you please direct it there? 

JMM
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Thank you for you post @Jue0 , it already has reached me.

I asked in the Community Leaders group if there is any CL from Kenya, as this seems to be a country-specific policy issue.

I hope we also can find someone of Airbnb’s policy team to assist.

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Till-and-Jutta0 Thank you for your prompt response 

JMM
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Jue0 I found out, there is a Kenya Host Club:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs

Could be a good idea, to contact them for assistance.

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Till-and-Jutta0 Thank You!

JMM

Hello Jue did you find any answers I am equally interested in knowing.

Regards

Celest

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Sifa8 @Never quite got a conclusive Answer. Though Airbnb paying the DST from guest..Jue

JMM