Questions on becoming a top hit listing

Matthew465
Level 3
Stevenson, WA

Questions on becoming a top hit listing

How do I become a featured listing or even just appear closer to the top of the list so that people don’t have to dig so much to find my listing?    Also, I doubt anyone is searching for Stevenson, WA specifically(though I could be wrong), so what kind of searches are bring my listing up do you venture or how can I find out?  Basically, how do I  learn more about how get seen?

9 Replies 9
Nikola52
Level 2
Lovran, Croatia

I have the same problem and worse - my listing often does not show up in searches?! This link may answer some of your questions although I do not find it very helpful. I mean, good reviews are essential to performing well in search but I do not have any reviews because the place has not been booked yet because it does not show in searches....

Check this link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/what-factors-determine-how-my-listing-appears-in-search-resul...

I am also having the same issue. I just posted my listing, and I did a search on entire homes in my town.  It shows listings in other towns, rooms for rent - basically only 38 listings of various houses in nearby towns, and not my house which is in the town I specified.

I am very upset that my listing and it doesn't even show in direct searches.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Mickey18,

I'm not sure of the extent or location of Melbourne Beach. when I searched for "Entire place" accommodation in Melbourne Beach, FL your listing showed up once I moved the map south east a bit.

Steve.

Screenshot (18).png

maybe it’s designed so i cannot see my own listing?   i just re-did the search and even zoomed in on my area and my listing did not come up.

i found out my issue!  there were blocked dates on my listing that i did not set.  thank you steve for making me dig deeper into what might have been wrong! 

Everyone can see their own listing.

If you search without dates you should be able to find it. If you search with dates they must be ones on which the listing is available and must take any minimum nights' stay into account.

As there are many listings in the area it may help to zoom in to get a larger scale view.

Steve.

i’ve have my friends try now and they can’t find it unless they use the map or put very specific criteria like 3 bedrooms and 3 baths.  It doesn’t show when you put 3 bedrooms and 2+ baths.  it will not show up if you search as a 1 person with open dates.  i guess the search only does exact match. 

i’m going to keep calm for a few more days - then consider vrbo.  

i noticed there are tons of posts about this subject, where people’s listings do not show.

I am having the same problem and we are super hosts. Although it shows up at times, someone tried to look it up, and only found two of our listings. Someone else couldn't find us using thier Mac.

Maybe airbnb can figure out a way to deal with this. 

@Marta-and-Arnold0 when a listing (or several listings) are hard to find, sometimes it is a problem with the Airbnb system. Usually it is not. 

Usually the problem is because there are a lot of other listings, and the listing does not rank high in the search results. I searched in Madera for all Airbnb listings, and found (luckily) that there are only 297 in all. Since there are fewer than 300, your listings should appear every time.

I found your 5 listings at the following positions (out of 297): 217, 229, 232, 260, 266.

Usually when listings are not ranked very high, it is because of poor reviews or host cancellations.

You haven't cancelled anyone, and you have great reviews and ratings. Your listings look very nice, and you are clearly great hosts.

Although the exact workings of the Airbnb search ranking system are somewhat of a mystery, there are a couple of things Airbnb has explicity mentioned as factors which could be improved for your listings.

1. Instant Book: Airbnb says this is one of the biggest boosts you can give your listing. All 5 of your listings are not on Instant Book.
  2. Photos: Your listings have very few photos. Two have 4, two have 6, and one has 10. They all should have more photos. (I have heard 20 is a good number to shoot for.) I know there really isn't much to take a picture of (given what the listings are), but perhaps you can include some photos showing the natural beauty all around the area. Also, I imagine there are nearby landmarks or attractions people like to visit. Include pictures of anything nearby that your guests have visited or enjoyed.
  3. Description: Your listing descriptions are very short. Having a fuller (longer) amount of information in your description also helps with your search ranking. If there is not much to say about the property, feel free to wax poetic about the surrounding area, the natural beauty, or the joyous feelings the guests will enjoy when they stay with you.
  4. You can't fix this instantly, but having more reviews will help boost your search position. Your highest ranked listings have the most reviews, and your lowest has just one. As you host more happy guests, the additional reviews will improve your position.

The most important thing to remember is this: You shouldn't wait for Airbnb to "figure out a way to deal with this." 

You are the host, and these are your listings. Airbnb isn't going to change the way they rank listings any time soon, and there's no guarantee that any changes are going to help you.

You are the ones who need to help your listings rank higher.

Your listings are very nice, you are terrific hosts, and you should be higher in the search results.

But you are the ones who have to improve things.