Rating system- how it works

Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Rating system- how it works

Hello Evryone!

Sometimes some host think that Airbnb is not fair about rating, most of you might think that each star has a different weight or value in the rating system, so for clear your doubts, let see togheter how the rating system works:

Now, the stasticts of Airbnb working in this way:

you have the total of guest let say 75, but only 57 guest gave you 5 stars, so Airbnb want to know how many "times" you get 5, so that mean that every "guest value" is: 1

- So, dosen't matter what they gave to you: 4, 3 or 1 star, matter only "how many times" they click 5.

For to know that, they calculate the difference between the actual 5 stars number - 57 (A)  - and the total guest number - 75 (B).

A : B = C 

C x 100 = %

So,

57 : 75 = 0,76

0,76 x 100 = 76%  

so, you recived 76% of the time 5 stars! 

now let say that we had 2 guest in the last week, so 77  total guests, but they gave us 4 stars, so the 5 stars number (57) it will not change.

57 : 77 = 0,74 x 100 = 74%  - we lost 2% 

we recieved another guest and he gave us 5 stars  58, 5 stars - 78 guests

58 : 78 = 0,74 x 100 = 74%

we recieved another guest and he gave us 5 stars - 59, 5st - 79 guests

59 : 79 = 0.74 x 100 = 74%

we recieved another guest and he gave us 5 stars - 60, 5st -  80 guests

60 : 80 = 0.75 x 100 = 75% (finally)

what you not see, is the numbers after that 0,74XXXXXXXXXXX

57 : 77 = 0,740259......ect

58 : 78 = 0,743589.... ect

59 : 79 = 0,746835... ect

60 : 80 = 0,75 

How you can see the numbers slowly growing in percentage respect the two primary numbers.

now finally we get back at 75%, but the last guest give us 2 stars, so we have 60 - 5 stars and 81 guests.

60 : 81 = 0.74074074...... X 100 = 74,074074074..... %

we lost almost 1% again.

In conclusion, this is how percentage working, there's not any kind of preference or dark plan form airbnb to punish you, it is just math, and math work in this way.

I hope that this expample clarifying your doubts about the rating system.

Have a nice day. 🙂

Cheers Raf

19 Replies 19
Vera77
Level 2
Australia

you know i have had a lot of guests that do not speak english very well and do not complete the review properly and in fact do not say much at all and this is affecting my ratings.  i just had a comment from airbnb telling me thatmy guest has just indicated that i gave inaccurate information because i did not have wi fi at the house.   my listing distinclty states no wifi.  also he wrote nothing and my ratings went down a point.   why is this possible.  overseas guests can not give reviews in english accurately and the host is dependant on accurage reviews.   this i think should be screend better and reorganised.   the host should not be at the mercy of people that cant read or write properly .  what do you think.

I fully agree with you @Vera77!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Vera77 I now ask all guests to confirm they have read the full listing and the house rules and that they agree to the rules before booking. I think it helps. However, it doesn't work with every guest.

For example. a recent guest whose English is maybe not great, confirmed she had read and understood everything, but then when I asked her if she had any questions for me, she bombarded me with messages asking basic stuff that is all in the listing, e.g. How far are you from the tube station? How long will it take me to get to the centre? Is there a hairdryer? Can we use the washing machine? Etc. etc. etc.

It is all there in the listing, which she had supposedly read. I guess at least it is better she checks rather than turns up and is disappointed with something she was not expecting.

In these circumstances, the only thing I can suggest is that when you check the guest in (if you do this yourself and give them a tour like I do) is to run over some important things, and try to phrase it like "As you probably remember from reading the listing..." Or, when they start to ask you for things you clearly stated are not included, respond with, "No, I'm really sorry, I don't let guests use the washer dryer. I can do your laundry for you for a small fee though, as I mentioned in the listing." Of course, all of this in a polite, friendly manner, not in a patronising or annoyed tone.

Not sure what others think about this idea. I've not tried it out yet!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Vera77, so that would be, on welcome, "As you probably remember from reading the listing, I don't have any Wifi. However, there is an internet cafe at..."

I find that WiFi is very important to most guests, so something like this might be worth mentioning in a message before accepting the booking. Also mention nearby places where they can get it, if there are any. Of course, you probably can't do this if you use Instant Book, but you could send a message straight after saying, "Just a reminder that there is no WiFi, as stated in the listing description. I hope that is not a problem." They then have the opportunity to cancel if this is going to be a massive issue for them.

@Huma0, just to add to that, what I didn't know about Instant Book before I tried it was that the pre-booking message it allows is wonderful. It is a limited character count, which is good, because the host can focus on the big things (big things to guests) while being friendly: "There is no wifi here. Is that a surprise? Then please re-read the listing carefully. Once you have done that, we would love to host you!"

If you do go with IB at any point, @Vera77, you can try that.

thank you for your response.   i didnt know about the standard response phrases and it does mask my indignation of being publicly made look like i was wrong and dishonest when in actual fact they missed it and it was probably because they could not speak english.   However, I had spoken to them personally after they had been there for a couple of days and they had not mentioned it or asked about what the code for the Wifi was or anything .     I believe I provide a pretty clean  and comfortable home albeit it does not have the latest furniture or the latest gagdets but it is also priced at a very reasonably level for the comfort it offers so they can enjoy their holiday without breaking the bank.   For this reason am really annoyed about how much power a guest has to destroy a hosts business with incorrect reviews and ratings -  it they wanted 5 star accommodation then they should go and pay for it then they would have the right to give a bad review if that is what they experienced or did not get the wifi they were promised... vera

Hi @Vera77

your last guest Simon wrote that your house is  "nice and clean" so why do you reply in public about the Wifi? 
maybe they wrote about the wifi in "private review" so I suggest to keep in private certain issue, because like this looks weird for potential new guest. 🙂

cheers Raf

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Raffaele-and-Astrid0....Jeez Raf, that's an amazing bit of mathematics you have given there!

I will sit and have a good look at it to try and understand what you have put forward. I do not doubt that your correct but I just have one comment at this stage...... 'I' before 'E' except after 'C' .....:-)

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4

yes it is correct 😄

anyway I don't get you last sentence,  'I' before 'E' except after 'C', what you mean?

cheers Raf

@Raffaele-and-Astrid0....Ah Raf, English is not your native tongue!

Where does the E come in a word. In general when we write a word that has ie in it, it will be spelt relieved, relief, belief.....good grief!!

But when the preceding letter in the word is a 'C', we chance the order of i and e...Conceive, perceive, receive!

How do we remember this?.....'I' before 'E' except after 'C' 

Just a bit of the 'pedantic' sh*t coming out in me I'm afraid Raf...

Go back and have a look at your original post and you will see what I mean!

Cheers mate.....Rob

ahhhh ok! thank you @Robin4! 😄

yes I'm Italian and still try to learning English, I will try to remember this trick!  🙂

cheers Raf

Megan59
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

That is exactly my point. If you have a certain percentage, which is essentially what you calculated, that is what should be reflected. I do it by division. I have 150 total reviews. 138 are 5-star. 138:150, or as I do it, 138 divided by 150 = .92 or 92%. So why do they say on my page 89%

Hi @Megan59

Yes that is weird, but I check your profile and you have 163 reviews, just double check with the math.

let me know.

Cheers Raf

where do you see 163 reviews? It only tells me I have 150 reviews...weird?