Ratings expectations guests vs Airbnb

Fletch1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Ratings expectations guests vs Airbnb

Hi there,

We run a successful Airbnb and have feedback about ratings.

The issue is the understanding and expectation of ratings in Airbnb. The hotel industry has a well defined and established ratings system. 5 stars means something really exceptional and you pay for it, usually much higher than 4 stars. In most travelers minds, 3 stars is good, 4 stars is better (when I travel I usually choose a 4 star hotel for a bit extra and it is excellent. I do not travel 5 star as it is really expensive and I can live without all that extra luxury. Now when we ask guests to rate an Airbnb, some especially the older demographic think in these terms.

So for example, I had a couple stay with us and they were very happy with the experience, gave a positive review and even booked again the next year and they gave us 4 stars. To them we are not a five star hotel and they are right. The problem is that in Airbnb land, 4 stars is a negative. When I get 4 stars I think, what did we do wrong! Isn't that terrible. This is because unless you maintain exceptionally high ratings you lose your superhost status and possibly your place in search results. I really believe this ratings system needs an overhaul. 3 stars should be the base, 4 stars should be very good or excellent and 5 stars should be reserved for something truly exceptional. Same for rating guests but watch the storm is you downgrade a guest in the current schema!

1 Reply 1

@Fletch1 if you look back through these forums pre-coronavirus this was one of the most common topics. A lot of perspectives were covered in this thread: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Guantanamo/m-p/754779

You have to remember, though, that Airbnb has no incentive to make ratings more fair or accurate. The point of their system is to use anxiety triggers to control its "inventory." They believe that if hosts are under constant pressure to get 5 star ratings, they will go out of their way to please the guests, and hesitate to enforce their rules or claim for damages.