Reaching Out to AirBnB Hosts in Sri Lanka

Yohann0
Level 2
Colombo, Sri Lanka

Reaching Out to AirBnB Hosts in Sri Lanka

Dear fellow airbnb hosts in Sri Lanka,

As you may know, the Sri Lanka Tourism Authority is considering a date of 1 July to re-start the tourism industry assuming that the pandemic situation remains under control. They have issued a document titled ‘ Operational guidelines on preparedness and response for COVID-19 outbreak for tourism industry' which provides detailed procedures and best practice for all tourism related sectors. (I am happy to share the document if you have not seen it.)

The procedures are primarily aimed at larger hotels and guest houses, and one significant feature is that visitors may only book SLTDA approved and COVID readiness audited accommodation.

Smaller operations such as ours run the risk of being excluded in this push, and I am reaching out to you with the idea to create a local Airbnb Community Group which can, if necessary, lobby the SLTDA as a group to ensure that we will be able to return to near normal operations as soon as possible, and get back to doing what we love doing! 

The following points form the basis of our case for inclusion for early re-opening:

1. We cater to a niche market of well travelled professionals and families who are tired of hotels and resorts and are looking for an intimate cultural experience. They carefully research their destinations, and would go to another country if they cannot find the experience they seek in Sri Lanka.

2. Our operations are small scale, often situated in remote isolated areas, employ very few staff if any, and cater to an average of 12 guests at a time. They are not open to the public at large. As such, COVID preparedness can be practised very easily and effectively on our properties.

If you are keen join myself and other Sri Lanka Hosts in this initiative, please reply with your e-mail address and I will engage you going forward.

Stay Safe!

Yohann Dias

1 Reply 1
Maulie0
Level 1
Sri Lanka

Dear Yohann,

I do agree with you and also concerned.  Please count me in.

regards,

Maulie