Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

Answered!
Dennis139
Level 6
New York, NY

Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

My kids bought us $300 in Airbnb gift cards as our Christmas gift, knowing that we will be making a trip soon with my sister-in-law and her husband.  We selected an Airbnb  and my sister-in-law booked the unit, paid her share, and set it up allowing for split payment.  When I tried to pay my share with the gift cards, I was told they could see the money in my account profile, but I could not use it. 

Only the person who makes the initial booking can use a coupon, but the system is set up so that it will not allow the second person in the group payment plan to pay with a gift card.  This is illogical; what is the difference between the first and second party that one user can use the gift cards and the other cannot?  They see the cash in my account.   

Now my kids spent money for me to use towards my accomodations for my trip; Airbnb sees and acknowledges it, but won't let me use it.  This restriction is not divulged to the user.  Who knows what other limitations there are?  Now it is just sitting in my account until I book another trip; maybe in a year if I'm lucky.  It would have been a better gift if I just paid with my credit card and my kids reimbursed me.  If we had known this, they would have not bought it, or at the very least, I would have made sure I booked it instead of my sister-in-law. 

Do not buy Airbnb gift cards for yourself or anyone else!  There is no benefit to it!!!  Why let Airbnb hold on to your money?  Now I have lost the use of my kids' gift money.   We just gave it away to Airbnb to hold and use however they want indefinitely.  Regular credit card companies will send you a check if you have a credit balance in your account after a period of time.  I doubt that Airbnb will let me have my credit balance back ever.  What a gimmick.  Don't fall victim.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

114 Replies 114

It's easy to talk when you don't use the help center to search for some information.

You just call to ask some things, that you can find with just 2 clicks, and then blame Airbnb, that you didn't know how they work, but you didn't even searched for it.

Read this article, and more others and then blame Airbnb, that they don't tell you:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/981/how-do-airbnb-gift-cards-work

Bottom line is if you have an Airbnb giftcard in your account then you should be able to use it PERIOD.

@Valerie522 wrote:

Bottom line is if you have an Airbnb giftcard in your account then you should be able to use it PERIOD.

I won’t be buying my daughterinlaw a gift card from Airbnb now. Why sell does Airbnb sell gift cards if you can’t use them when you need them

Kien1
Level 1
Washington, DC

So I am not the only one that got scammed.  It's a total scam.  I've never heard from any companies that have a policy that you can't use gift cards to pay your reservations either 2nd payment, 3rd payment, nor any remaining balance due.  Gift cards are money.  You can use them to pay however you want.  Now I have $220 balance sitting in my account and can't be used.  I have also heard that your balance might disappeared too.  Be very leery whenever you use Airbnb.  

Jacqueline477
Level 1
Chicago, IL

SO glad I read this before purchasing an airbnb gift card as a wedding gift!  Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!  I'll just give them cash instead.

Jennifer1390
Level 1
Delton, MI

I’m so glad I came across this post. My daughter and son in law asked for a getaway as their Christmas gift. So I had just typed in “AirBnB gift card” into Google and I saw this come up as one of the results. I will NOT be buying them a gift card for AirBnB now because a) I see they have zero customer service skills to resolve an easy problem and b) I don’t want to cause my daughter stress for something that is meant to be relaxing just because AirBnB doesn’t let you use the gift card for split payments on your reservation. This is the worst policy I’ve ever heard of for a gift card. I will be going with a more reputable Hotel chain who is focused on their customer’s first. Thank you all for taking the time to post this and keep the consumers safe.  Hope you get resolution at some point. Though all of the stress you’ve endured has probably deemed the resulting useless even if they finally attempt to wrong their right. I would also post your experience to social media so others are aware and don’t purchase their gift card. 

Guess I will never give an Airbnb card. Better to give an Amex gift card instead.

Kathleen384
Level 1
Mount Olive Township, NJ

Wow, I was going to get one for my son.  Not anymore.  You would think AirBNB would respond to this issue.  Especially when this thread does come up when you google AirBNB gift cards.  Definitely hurting their business.

Totally agree with the posts here - was looking to buy a gift card but will now give a visa or Amex instead!

They do this on porpose.  Here's a great write-up on how/why they are doing it.  They are holding on to our money.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

don't buy a gift card! 

They do this intentionally.  Here's a great write-up on how/why they are doing it.  They are holding on to our money.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

James1286
Level 2
Washington, DC

Very helpful post.  I travel a ton as do many friends and relatives and the choice is often between an affordable nice hotel or an airbnb.   I was going to get them giftcards for Xmas to sway future trips, but after reading this, it sounds like it'll only be more of a hassle and sway them away.  Airbnb, if this is true, y'all trippin.

Welcome to the airbnb cash cow.

They do this intentionally.  Here's a great write-up on how/why they are doing it.  They are holding on to our money.

https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blogger.g?blogID=6905234989813025462#editor/target=post;postID=740067323...

Brian772
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Thank you for posting this.  I was JUST going to purchase my parents a $250 gift card for AirBnB for Christmas and was searching for where I could do that when I found this post.  I am pretty fed up with the the ever-increasing fees associated with this market, but your email was enough to push me over the top.  I'm done with AirBnB.  

Katie523
Level 1
Wausau, WI

Thank you for the post. Was about to buy a Christmas gift, but what a hassle! Really appreciate the heads up.