Recommended by other hosts setting

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Recommended by other hosts setting

hi does anyone have any experience of using the recommended by other hosts setting in guest requirements? If it is turned on can guests without reviews still send a request or does it filter them out all together? Any info would  be greatly appreciated ☺️

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Those guests would not be able to IB, they would have to send a request to book @Natasha388.

That’s great thank you @Colleen253  for confirming this for me. So it just stops them from instant booking but they can still book by sending a request first. Are we then penalised by Airbnb if say I chose to decline a request from a guest with no reviews?  

@Natasha388  Yes, any person with an active Airbnb account can send you a booking request regardless of your Instant Book settings. The only requisite you can set for requests is "profile photo required," and even that could turn out to be a photo of anything.

There's not a penalty for declining an individual request, but after multiple declines you'll start getting nasty automated threats from Airbnb saying that you could get delisted if your acceptance rate gets too low.  They won't reveal what the threshold is, if that even exists - this is mostly a tactic to keep you scared of declining. So when a request is genuinely unsuitable, it's better to decline than to feel threatened into accepting.

That said, I don't feel that having no reviews is in and of itself a good reason to decline a guest - and nor are positive reviews are good reasons to accept. Many, many hosts write disingenuous reviews "nice" reviews even when they had a guest from hell, and plenty more hosts can't be bothered to review even their good guests, so this is not a useful screening method. The best predictor of how the stay will go tends to be the quality of communication, so if a get a request from an unreviewed guest, I suggest having some follow-up questions prepared and decide on a case-by-case basis.

Thank you @Anonymous @I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I’ve had a few nightmare guests lately, literally one after another and they have all been guests that have only just joined Airbnb with no reviews. I agree I’ve had plenty of lovely guests without reviews in the past but one of our newer listings in particular seems to be attracting people that are breaking house rules and damaging the property, I dread what we are going to walk into after every guest. Just looking for ways to deter these kind of bookings 

@Natasha388 I'm curious, have your problem guests not reviewed you? You seem to have left good reviews for all your recent guests. The pandemic is bringing all manner of troublesome guests out of the bushes. Hopefully you haven't lowered your rates much if at all, in response to it, as that will definitely attract a lower quality guest. As @Anonymous said, the quality of communication will often tell you a lot. Use communication as your main tool for sussing out suspect guests. Is the guest 'ask-y'? Many times that's a red flag. Early check in/out, to break a house rule, discount etc. Are they pleasant and forthcoming about themselves and their plans? Do they quickly and freely answer your questions? There's a great deal to inform you on that front. House rules are also helpful as a deterrent. Be explicit about what don't tolerate, and make sure guests are actually reading the rules. 98% of guests don't read a listing's unique house rules.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Natasha388  It seems to me that many hosts who are accustomed to using IB just haven't had the chance to develop good vetting skills when receiving requests. But the demographic of guests has changed since the pandemic and there are many newbie guests now, so hosts are getting more requests because those guests don't meet your IB requirements.

If you are just going to decline all those requests, you will eventually run afoul of Airbnb and they will threaten to delist you. So instead, develop some vetting methods that will help you weed out problem bookings.

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you @Sarah977  and @Colleen253  I really appreciate your advice. The bad guests haven’t left me a review . I think I do need to up my vetting game!  I’m hoping that now places are opening up further people may be less inclined to book somewhere to have a party, I can live in hope! Thanks again for all your advice