Reducing my carbon footprint

Kay1269
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Reducing my carbon footprint

I live in Bristol, England and am about to re-open my Airbnb.  Having been closed since the start of the Pandemic, I have had time to think about life, health and priorities.  I realise that I need to reduce my carbon footprint, especially in regards to having guests in my home.  

I feel I need to make changes in the following areas:-

Breakfast - normally continental including:- cereal, toast or waffles, fresh fruit, pots of yogurt, tea, Nespresso coffee, juice.  

The waffles are wrapped in plastic.  Yogurt in plastic pots.  Nespresso capsules.   Alternatives???

Bathroom - happy to buy eco toilet rolls.  Shower gel, shampoo and soap all come in plastic.  Bleach and cleaning products.  Alternatives???

Bedrooms - tray with biscuits (loose in plastic tub), sachets of tea, coffee, hot chocolate.  Milk in flask.  Electric kettle and hairdryer.  Suggestions to improve???

I would also appreciate suggestions for wording in my information to guests, to encourage their co-operation.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kay1269  yes, we don't really have many alternatives.

NESSPRESSO CAPSULES can be replaced with other types of coffee machines, french press, instant coffee...., everything is better than capsules.

JUICE- you can give them oranges to squeeze 🙂

TOAST is junk, buy bread or bagel

TEA can be bought without packages and put in the glass jar (but with Covid paranoia I doubt it's the right time for a change)

ELECTRIC KETTLE... well, that's something I never needed, there are other ways to boil water but I

still need a HAIR DRYER 🙂

CLEANING PRODUCTS...  vinegar, baking soda, and dish detergents will do the job

SOAP can be bought in cubes and sliced into smaller pieces or you can do your own if you wish. 

I have no idea for shampoo and conditioner except not providing it 🙂

PS...here in Zagreb we can bring our own bottles and fill them with dish detergent, universal detergent, or glass detergent. Do you have these options where you live=?

We can also fill our bottle with fresh milk (some kind of vending machine) but I am not sure how guests would react to it. We don't provide milk or breakfast anyway.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Provide fresh coffee or coffee in jars 

2. get large pots of yoghurt and decant 

3. why have waffles 

4. buy large toiletries and decant  /buy LUSH/Body shop products 

5. get rid of the breakfast tray in their room if they have kitchen access