Refugee experience

Refugee experience

Hey hosts, how has hosting refugees differed from hosting other guests? Please share lessons learned, what you wish someone told you. Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Michele1427 Are you talking about Airbnb's new program?

See the discussion there: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/hosting-Afghan-refugees/m-p/1496092

@Till-and-Jutta0 thanks. I am not asking how to host refugees. I already signed up with airbnb.org. I am asking if refugees have unique hosting needs. 

@Michele1427 don't you think this is a bit too general a question? There is no clear-cut category about it. If they are from far away places and have no experience living in your area, they may need very thorough explanations of how work even those systems that you find very obvious in your home, like any inexperienced guest who comes from far away. But some refugees may have lived in your area for many years in the past.

If you are referring to strictly personal needs, not entirely connected to the home, since we cannot know them and we are not psychologists or social workers, I am convinced that a good host can satisfy them very well, as far as possible, with good communication. It depends on how the guest will want to share them. In general they are people who want to live in your area, who may have a lot of difficulty with the language or the typical bureaucracy that you can know much better and who do not have a home where they will return shortly. Proposing to help them in these and other aspects could be a good idea, it certainly depends on your time and your skills. I do not know the rules in your area, in mine each refugee has a contact person chosen by the authorities who has the task of assisting him. Getting in touch with this figure to know any particular needs could be very useful both to assist them in the best possible way yourself and to avoid questions or situations that could hurt your refugee guests.

Congratulations on your thoughts. I wish you the best!

@Gianni265 thanks. I was purposefully vague since I have never hosted with the hope it would generate more feedback. Good communication seems to be key to good hosting in all circumstances. I hope if anyone hosts refugees and finds a unique aspect of that experience will share it.

@Michele1427  Airbnb loves the free press it gets from jumping into the news cycle whenever a natural or political catastrophe strikes, but it's not known for being very good at the follow-through. Before casting your lot with them, I'd recommend checking to see if your area has a locally-based program that works directly with refugees, helps match their housing placement to their needs, and offers qualified support to both the new residents and the housing providers.

If such an organization exists where you live, it's better to work directly with them than to involve Airbnb. If it doesn't, you might have to consider whether you're fully prepared to take on the complex role of social worker. 

@Anonymous thanks. I did check local options before signing up but those limited groups in Northern California claim to partner with airbnb.org. Time will tell I suppose...

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

We have hosted several refugees. The first was with an agency that supplied weekly support and it was an amazing experience as this guest was illiterate, of another faith, with little English and no documents. Progress was fast and by departure was able to shop, cook, clean, use a washing machine and lawnmower, wash cars, recycle rubbish, had purchased a bicycle and was soon employed. The next booked with Airbnb, amazing professionals who are now settled with jobs after attending English classes and working as volunteers.