Refund Problem

Refund Problem

Hi, 

Could anyone advise me if there is an ombudsman or overseeing authority for Airbnb? I am having the most stressful time chasing a refund and every time I phone their lines I'm informed that they're going to refer it onto another team who will call me back. I've been told that 3 times over the last week and have had no call backs, and can't get through to anyone who seems to be able to help! 

Details: the Airbnb website was down on 22nd July at 17:20 [https://downdetector.co.uk/status/airbnb/news/400930-problems-at-airbnb/], which was within the 48hour free cancellation period for the property I had booked. I was unable to access the website at all from any browser, nor could get through on the phone, so informed the host of my difficulties with the website and emailed Airbnb my cancellation instead. I didn't hear anything back from that email. Once the website came back online later that evening I cancelled the booking, and thus became liable to pay 50% of the costs -more than £500 - because the Airbnb website went down.

I did speak to an Airbnb support person, who said that she'd referred the case on to another team, but I haven't heard anything else and have been unable to get any further. Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Elaine

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Elaine736 

You can try Twitter (account: AirbnbHelp)

You sent an email to ? (As there is no Airbnb email address for customers)

BTW

The airbnb terms deny any liability when platform is not available:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2908/terms-of-service#19

Thanks! I know, it was a struggle to find any email addresses... I emailed support@airbnb.com, help@ and another one. The final two bounced, but the support one went through, but I recognise it's probably an unmanned account. 

I shall take myself to Twitter. Good to know that their terms deny any liability, although that does feel outrageous - I shall adjust my expectations accordingly. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Elaine736 you can also refer to the link @Emiel1 posted above for your dispute resolution options: small claims court or arbitration.

Thank you!

Anton4778
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Just had to cancel a trip to Switzerland (from the US) because I was tested positive with Covid 19, although I have been vaccinated twice. 

Airbnb was very efficient in answering my cancelation... I canceled the apartment today August 5th (arrival would have been August 17th)  in the late morning, Airbnb replied immediately. They charged me for the apartment (so called loft) on June 14th over US $ 4'100.00, I intended to stay one full month. Now they give me a refund of a bit more than  150 Dollars. Isn't this a rip off? I wonder whether the host of the apartment now tries to rent that apartment out again, twice, that would be against the law in Switzerland although the cancelation policy of Airbnb is different but because the apartment is in Switzerland swiss law has to apply. Has anybody made similar experiences with AirbnB?