Refund for fake bnb listing.

Refund for fake bnb listing.

I have booked and have been charged for a place i realised after calling the alleged host, doesn't exist/isn't accommodating any guest. Kindly guide on how to get a refund. Have tried asking host to cancel but haven't received any feedback from the host or app.

9 Replies 9

@Wagaki0  There are two kinds of fake Airbnb listings:  ones that are actually listed on the Airbnb platform, and ones that are actually on copycat sites with URL's that look like airbnb.com but are actually just scams. If it's the former, here's a guide for how to contact Airbnb:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/td-p/413245

If it turns out to be the latter, you'll have to contact your credit card provider to dispute the charge.

Could you post the link to the listing that you booked? 

https://abnb.me/F4K16rpAFib that is the link.

To clarify I booked a listing through the bnb app today under a host called Christine. I requested to book and my request was accepted and my account debited. I have the receipt for proof. I then went ahead to contact the host through phone using the contact availed in the listing details. The lady expressed that she is no longer accommodating guests and that I need to find a way to sort the mess. She did not offer any guidance on how to go about it and this happened at 1600/1700hrs EAT and it's now 2300hrs so 6 hours later. This is despite me asking her to cancel. I need airbnb to intervene and facilitate a full refund of the booking. I needed a place to stay for tomorrow night ie 13th to 14th and so had to go ahead and book somewhere else. I only want a refund on this matter kindly whether or not she changes her mind about hosting or whatever the hiccup is on her side.

@Wagaki0  Since the host has no reviews and no upcoming bookings, she clearly has no idea how anything on Airbnb works. The good news is that the listing is in-platform, so you will be able to get your money back.

What you can do right now is follow the instructions here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/

1. Go to Trips and click the trip you want to cancel
  2. Click Show trip details
  3. Click Change or cancel
  4. Click Cancel reservation
  5. Under Please select a reason, choose My host needs to cancel
  6. Next to Did they say they can’t host you anymore? choose Yes
  7. Click Ask host to cancel

Hosts have 48 hours to respond. If your trip starts within a week, though, they have to respond within 24 hours. If they accept your request or don’t respond, you’ll get a full refund. If they decline, they should still be able to host your stay. 

If the host declines but still refuses to host you, that's when you would have to call Airbnb.

Thank you for your response. I'll send a video of the problem I'm encountering with the ask host to cancel option.

Tried to post a screen recording..  I'm not able to do number 6... after selecting asl host to cancel it just redirects me to my chats with the host no more options, no conclusion of the process. I don't get any options to pick number 6 from.

@Wagaki0  I don't know if that's a glitch, or if the feature just doesn't work when it's less than 24 hours before the check-in date. But it sounds like you'll have to get Airbnb on the phone - the numbers are there in the thread I linked to above.

For best results, be sure your chats with the host in the messenger show that the host said she won't accommodate you. It's more straightforward when you have evidence.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Wagaki0,

You've received excellent advice from @Anonymous.  When you book your next place, I suggest that you choose a place that has a host with reviews (communicate with them before booking), and also has pictures of every room.  From lesson learned from past experience, I will not book a place that doesn't show the bathroom.  Also, be sure that the amenities you want are listed, and not just shown in pictures.  The place you've booked has kitchen, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors struck through, but also has cooking basics and air conditioning are provided.  The pictures show a kitchen with a gas cooker (thus, the need for the detectors), and there are no photos of an AC.

Good luck.

I agree @Anonymous guided me well. I was beginning to get frustrated as the host was also giving me a hard time with cancellation on her end. I apologise for that. I did try to contact her before I made the booking but Friday is a very high demand night for my city and I wasn't getting too many comfortable looking stays in my target area. I have surely learnt from this experience. Thank you all for trying to assist.

@Wagaki0  In case you aren't aware, hosts are reluctant to cancel bookings from their end because they receive penalties, including fines, for cancelling a booking. 

If the guest asks the host to cancel because the guest doesn't want the booking anymore, it's correct for the host to refuse - the guest should be the one to cancel.

But in a case like yours, where it's the host who can't or won't honor the booking, the onus is on the host to cancel. This host is either just clueless or not being fair to you.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wagaki0  While I know many guests like the convenience and speed of using the Instant Book option, in the future you might want to send an inquiry messsage first to hosts, especially if it's a listing without a history of good reviews. If the host doesn't respond in a timely way, or something else about their communication doesn't sit right with you, you haven't committed to a booking and can then just move on to look for another place, without the hassle of trying to chase a refund.