Refund for strict cancellation policy

Hannah378
Level 1
United Kingdom

Refund for strict cancellation policy

I need some advice... and please don’t bother commenting if you have nothing positive to say or something that will actually help...

me and 5 friends booked a villa with a strict cancellation policy, reading the T&C’s we were under the impression that if we cancelled within 7 days we would get 50% refund back. Great. So we booked. We paid something like £1200 and the total due (including the £1200) nearer the time was £2100.

2 of the guests can no longer travel due to becoming pregnant, obviously unexpected but their baby is due shortly before we are meant to go. So I contacted the host and she said we would receive 50% refund, so I cancelled the booking on air BnB as instructed and waited patiently (10 working Days) for the refund and nothing. It’s now over a month since I cancelled it and the host hasn’t replied to any of the messages I sent, so I got air BnB involved. They’ve now advised that the “50% refund” means that we don’t get the money we paid but we don’t have to pay the rest.... which is completely different to how all 6 of us read the cancellation policy. We’ve cancelled 8 months before we are due to travel... and the host WILL NOT refund our deposit. How is this fair?! I’ve searched the villa again and it says “no property found” so she’s probably had another booking already to fill our space. If I had known we wouldn’t be getting any of our money back we wouldn’t have cancelled it and would have found someone else to take the spot, but because the host told me to cancel it to “issue the refund” we now have no reservation and are £1200 out of pocket! I have tried to go down the extenuating circumstances route but apparently pregnancy doesn’t apply to that. What else can I do?! 

32 Replies 32

@Martha389 @ If your guests cancelled under the "extenuating circumstances" the guest will get a full refund.

As far as I remember, when asking me for their money back they mostly said not all guests could come anymore.

But I'll re read. 

Thanks @Sandra856 

@Martha389 If the guests cancel they get their money back according to the policy. It all happens automatically. If the guest asks for extra money tell them to contact airbnb. Tell them that airbnb deals with all things concerning cancellations etc. as you are not paid before after check-in. I have giving back a guest the whole amount if they cancelled in time for me to get a new booking. If they cancel last minute which most do I can't get a new booking and can't offer any money not already promissed through the cancellation policy.

So if you got guests asking you for money always ask them to contact airbnb. No need to deal with it yourself. 

@Sandra856 

Yes, that's what I have told them. That I can´t give them back any money, because I haven't received it. So I tell them they should talk to the Airbnb team.

But now some hosts have been telling that given my "strict cancellation policy", half of the amount should be sent to me on the supposed arrival date (because guests have cancelled after 48h of booking).  And that hasn't happened.  

I'll verify the details of every cancellation and see if I should contact the AirBnb support team or there's nothing to be done.

Thanks

@Martha389 if the guests cancel after the 48 hour period they got to cancel AND more than a week before the actual check in time they will get 50% back. If they cancel within the same week that they suppose to check in then they won't get any refund at all. Only if something happens like death in near family, an accident or something like that they can cancel under the "extenuating circumstances" policy but they will have to document what happened to Airbnb. 

If you haven't received any money the day after your guest was supposed to check in why not contact Airbnb and ask for the reason why?

How can I get a refund since my host refused to accept modification to my reservation. I had to check out the very next day because the me and my daughterwwas very uncomfortable with my host and he was not welcoming guy. The listing amenities showed that guest can cook and a balcony to sit. He refused to let us cook in the microwave saying that it will burst. His balcony was filled with utilities and in a mess, where he sat and gossiped with his friends. I lost a lot of money because of wrong listing. How can I get a refund or even modify my reservation

Sabria2
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

I am currently going through this situation and to my understanding the host and airbnb will recieve all funds from a simple booking with split payment if not cancelled with 48 hours. This  only benefits airbnb as they will be TAKING 1358 from my family in light of an extenuating circumstances that is not listed on the website. This is a travesty and thief of services not rendered. For split bookings the 48 hour policy should not apply. This is set to hurt hard working families and pay host and airbnb for services not rendered within 48 hours. If this was anyone else they would be upset because the wording is not clear with using the word AND 14 days prior to check in. It is meant to confuse customers so that their money can be taken within 48 hours. My family and I will NEVER use airbnb again. This is robbery. Airbnb also attempted to charge my cedit card for the remaining balance but it failed. They did not notify me of this, not did they explain why until I called. The rep said they were removing the payment method on my account. I did not ask them to do this and the payment method is still on the account. Even I can't remove it. So something is clearly wrong....

@Hannah378 wrote:

I need some advice... and please don’t bother commenting if you have nothing positive to say or something that will actually help...

me and 5 friends booked a villa with a strict cancellation policy, reading the T&C’s we were under the impression that if we cancelled within 7 days we would get 50% refund back. Great. So we booked. We paid something like £1200 and the total due (including the £1200) nearer the time was £2100.

2 of the guests can no longer travel due to becoming pregnant, obviously unexpected but their baby is due shortly before we are meant to go. So I contacted the host and she said we would receive 50% refund, so I cancelled the booking on air BnB as instructed and waited patiently (10 working Days) for the refund and nothing. It’s now over a month since I cancelled it and the host hasn’t replied to any of the messages I sent, so I got air BnB involved. They’ve now advised that the “50% refund” means that we don’t get the money we paid but we don’t have to pay the rest.... which is completely different to how all 6 of us read the cancellation policy. We’ve cancelled 8 months before we are due to travel... and the host WILL NOT refund our deposit. How is this fair?! I’ve searched the villa again and it says “no property found” so she’s probably had another booking already to fill our space. If I had known we wouldn’t be getting any of our money back we wouldn’t have cancelled it and would have found someone else to take the spot, but because the host told me to cancel it to “issue the refund” we now have no reservation and are £1200 out of pocket! I have tried to go down the extenuating circumstances route but apparently pregnancy doesn’t apply to that. What else can I do?! 

@Hannah378 wrote:

Sabria2
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

The best thing to do know is file a dispute with your bank for being charged for services that was cancelled or not rendered. I don't care how long the process will take but charging 1300 for a service never rendered is wrong regardless of how it is worded. 

@Sabria2 :  you entered into a contract,   the contract terms were clear.    If you have a truly extenuating cirumstance,  you can argue that to Airbnb;  otherwise,  you did get the service contracted,  a reservation that you had the option to use.

@Hannah378 

My advice is - never book with hosts with strict cancellation policy. I am carefully looking at the hosts policy in our town - and I can say that all who sweetched to strict policy are the ones who are either with higher than expected prices or not so good location or not so good accommodation.  And because of that they have had for some time many guests cancelling their reservation. Hence - they decided to go to strict policy. 

I do not find pregnancy a good reason for using extenuation curcumstances - but it is a good reason to ask for change of dates - making, moving them 3-4 months ahead. No problem to travel with little babies. 

I feel strict policy is against common sence - in every shop you can order something, pay in advance and after that refuse the order and money will be refunded. With service it is even worse - you ordered a service and payed for it in advance, but due to many reasons cannot attend the place to receive the service. I find that cancelling 5 days before the service is due - every guest should be  able to have his money back less the service fee. 

We use a strict policy for some of our rooms because we have had multiple incidents where guests block our rooms with reservations,   then cancel at the last moment,   costing us revenue.    (We have other rooms set to 'moderate').

It's as simple as that-- as with airline seats,   if you wait until a week or two beforehand to cancel,  you are in effect using the product,  and the terms and pricing are set as they are.

Since our previous year rating is 4.93 or so,   and we're as close as you'll get to the University of Chicago without playing 1.5x the price,   I don't think your characterization of hosts who use strict pricing is at all fair or accurate.

I do not purchase a non-refundable airfare and then think "oh, the airline must be screwing me over if I want to change dates or not use the product,  and on top of it they must be giving me something less than other airlines."   In fact,    I very often purchase 3-5 non-refundable tickets for less than 1-2 refundable tickets,  fully aware that it's more affordable to do that and only take the segments I need,  as my schedule changes.

@Prerana0 

Call airbnb straight away and show them pictures of the balcony and tell them about all other things and ask them to cancel and find you another accommodation for the rest of the needed days.  

Sabra1
Level 2
Lexington, KY

I am in the same situation.  We booked for something 8 months away.  Literally next year and paid half for two nights which was a lot! The host will NOT refund my deposit of $1200.  I’m very upset and have been dealing with AirBNB.  I will honestly never use Air BNB again if this is not resolved.  I had no idea about how strict the host cancellation policy was...I guess negligence on my part.  I also understand if you are pressed to get a house rented but this is 2 nights and next year!! I find it very selfish and greedy not to refund us.  I messaged him a week after I booked...Did you get a resolution?

@Sabra1 :

Here's the first part of the strict cancellation policy,   which applies to cancellations more than 14 days in advance:

For a full refund of the nightly rate, cancellation must be made at least 14 full days prior to listing’s local check-in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check-in.

Can you explain why this doesn't apply to your situaiton?

They are saying that the host has a strict cancellation and since I didn’t cancel 48hrs after the booking...it was up tot he host to accept my refund which he is not doing.