Refund issue - travel credits

Romy78
Level 2
East Kilbride, United Kingdom

Refund issue - travel credits

Hi, hoping for some advice!

My partner and I had booked a stay last year when COVID hit, we were told we could have a refund in travel credits to be used this year. We would have preferred a cash refund but we weren't given an option, so we rebooked for September '21 using the credits (£470).

We arrived at the place on 1st September and it was uninhabitably filthy. We quickly got in touch with Air Bnb with pictures etc and were initially offered our travel credits back. I told them this wasn't going to be acceptable as we now had to go pay for a hotel last minute (over £500). The ambassador was very understanding and sent me a message saying she had sorted it and I should receive the refund into my bank account within 5-15 days. 

I have since then not receive the refund into my bank account but in travel credits in my air bnb account (which expire in January). I have been in touch countless times, each ambassador telling me their party line - 'travel credits are non transferable and cant be converted into cash refunds'. Despite the screenshotted message of me being told it would be a cash refund. 

I EVENTUALLY got through to a supervisor who saw the screenshot and apologised profusely, saying the money would be in my account on the 23rd September. I got this in a message so I had it in writing. 

Come the 24th - still no refund. I contacted Air Bnb AGAIN, only to be told the supervisor and previous ambassador had both misinformed me and they thanked me for my understanding but travel credits are not transferable to cash refunds. 

So since then I've been trying to get through to yet another supervisor, amabassadors keep promising I'll get a phone call from a supervisor but this call never comes. No one is responding to my messages on the app, and whenever I call up, I am given the same information - that they are unable to transfer me to a manager and I'll have to wait for a call back.

I don't want travel credits as:

a)I've lost faith in Air Bnb's standards due to the grotty flat we'd booked

b)they seem to be trying to swindle me out of money I'm owed

c) their customer service is appalling

d) I'm not going to be travelling anywhere in the next year as I'm in my final year of uni!

I am beyond frustrated and feel this can't be legal.  I'm just not sure who to go to about it? 

Any advice would be so appreciated!

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Romy78 

IMO this story must be escalated to management level  !

Romy78
Level 2
East Kilbride, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 this is what I’m trying to do but it’s proving very difficult - I was told yesterday I’d be called back by a manager, and I’ve been waiting for over 24 hours. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Romy78 you might try getting at them on Facebook and Twitter.