Refund still not received from a reservation from 10/28/2020

Kabtaig0
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

Refund still not received from a reservation from 10/28/2020

I have tried contacting the Airbnb Support for the last 4 months on this issue, and nothing has been updated.

I would like to get any help possible to get my money back.

This is regarding reservation # HMSXYDNB29.

On 10/29/20, the host refunded the money I paid for the reservation, but I never received money back into my credit card. 

On 11/01/20, I received a message from the Support Ambassador T (I am not sure if I could disclose the name of the representative so I will use initial) saying, "We've investigating the cause of the issue, and we're working to resolve as quickly as possible. Your refund of $XXX.XX will be processed within 5 business days. This refund is immediate in our part, depending on your banks processing time, it may take 5-15 business days for the funds to reach your account."

However, I didn't receive anything back so I contacted the Airbnb Support again on 12/05/20.

On 12/05/21, I received a follow up message from A saying, "Apologize, but upon thorough research this has been a reported bug and our technical team is working diligently to have this fixed for you the soonest. As soon as this gets fixed, the refund for the amount of $XXX.XX should be processed successfully."

I contacted them again on 12/18/20 since I didn't get anything back. On 12/19/20 I got a message back from Airbnb Support saying, "I'm sorry you've been having trouble with the refund. We've been investigating the cause of the issue, and we're working to resolve it as quickly as possible." Then I got another message on 12/20/20, "Our back office is working on it. Once it is finished, you will be able to receive the refund."

I had my hope this time, getting the message that the back office was working on it, however, to my disappointment, I didn't hear anything or receive the refund back into my account so I contacted again on 01/14/21.

On 01/15/21, I got a message back from M, "We've been investigating the cause of the issue, and we're working to resolve it as quickly as possible."

On 01/16/21, M messaged back, "We apologize to have kept you waiting. I have informed our higher level of support about this matter by filing a proper report yesterday. They normally contact our users via Email, Messaging thread or phone if needed."

However, I didn't receive email, message, or phone call from the higher level of support so I contacted the Airbnb Support again.

On 01/28/21, a new Support Ambassador, R, messaged me, "I have submitted this case for consultation and I will get back to you once I have the results in the next 24 hours. No worries, I know this has dragged for so long, rest assured, I am prioritizing your case."

And thankfully, R messaged me back on 01/29/21 with, "Upon checking, the specialized department is still investigating the cause of the issue, and we're working to resolve it as quickly as possible. They will reach out to you in a separate ticket regarding this, however, I cannot provide you yet with the time frame, rest assured, your case has already been escalated."

When I contacted back, R replied on 02/02/21, "the specialized department is still investigating the cause of the issue, and they will be the one to reach out to you via email."

Since then, I didn't receive any updates. So I called the Airbnb Support and asked for someone that could speak my native language, in hope to communicate this better. 

I spoke with K on 02/24/21, and I was basically told the same thing that they were investigating. I wanted to talked to a supervisor or manager, but I was told that K sent a message to manager explaining my situation. But nothing was resolved. 

On 03/01/21, I was notified that my case was going to be delivered to the team in charge of refund, and they will process the refund within a week or so. 

However, I didn't receive any call or message from Airbnb, neither I received the refund, so I contacted Airbnb Support again on 03/11/21 and got ignored. I contacted Airbnb Support again today (03/13/21) and got a call back from a different Support Ambassador, S, basically asking me to start the process all over again - if not S said they could offer a coupon (of the price that I was supposed to receive as a refund) that I could use on Airbnb. I was extremely unhappy about that.

This makes me wonder, what and who is exactly investigating my refund issue from October, 2020, and more than anything how I would be able to get proper help to get my refund back. Apparently, Support Ambassadors are not able to resolve the issue for me, and I feel like they are bouncing me from one ambassador to another to just tire me out. The host clearly refunded the money, and somehow the money is not there to return to my credit card. 

I am a new user of Airbnb, and most likely I am not going to continue using Airbnb nor recommend others to use it in the future. I would like to get some advice and help from someone on how to get this issue resolved. 

Thank you for reading this long post, but I would appreciate it so much if someone could give me any tips. 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kabtaig0 Some say a Twitter approach to airbnb yields results as they do not like bad publicity. I am sure you are not stupid enough to accept a credit note as these often come with more issues later down the line! Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

@Nick I'm not sure if your help for host's payments extends to guest refunds but if it does this feels like a worthy cause.

The only update I have been getting is "We haven't heard back from the back office or the team in charge of refund." I might have to try the Twitter method. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kabtaig0 I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. I have now forwarded all the information you provided to Customer Service team with a request to have a closer look into this. I will update you with a Direct Message as soon as I have an update. Thank you.

Thanks for the tag @Mike-And-Jane0