Refund to a closed bank account

Vasilija1
Level 2
BG, Serbia

Refund to a closed bank account

I recently cancelled reservation as a guest, but I forgot that in meantime I closed that very bank account from which I initially paid the reservation. The refund was automatically sent to that closed account. After I realized that I contacted Airbnb customer support which told me to contact my bank so they can redirect the money. 
But the bank told me they have nothing to do with that money since the bank account is not existant anymore.
I deleted non-valid payment info and provided a new bank account for Airbnb, but I'm worrying what will happen to mo money? Will I ever see it? Will Airbnb ever required it to a new bank account which I provided subsequently?
Please, I need help. 
Thank you!

24 Replies 24
Keith511
Level 2
Ware, United Kingdom

What was the final out come, we are in the same boat🥴

Keith511
Level 2
Ware, United Kingdom

We had our monies sent to a closed bank account (my fault) explained to AirBnB they told me to contact my bank . They said if account is closed the monies would bounce back to Airbnb. Contacted airbnb told us to contact our back ..dittoditto.. bank ask us to get the Faster Paymend ID from Airbnb, i have asked numerous times but hit a wall! Airbnb: Will not confirm monies have returned or how they sent money to Santander! Do i contact the Ombudsman?

Iwona21
Level 1
Warsaw, Poland

I have the same situation, but actually AIrbnb fault. My payment was divided into two parts as it was a long stay. I made the first one long before move-in date. Then in the meantime I closed bank account, deleted card from Airbnb and added a new payment method. From the new card the second payment was done. Then host refunded me due to my early move-out due to covid. The biggest mistake ever the host did it through airbnb. Aribnb sent the money to my old card that was long ago removed from my profile. They claimed it's not their business and I should contact the bank. I don't even have this card number anymore since it was distroyed long time ago, but Airbnb doesn't even want to provide me with full payment details that they made so I'm not even able to contact the bank as they have not enough information. Airbnb doesn't reply to any of my messages. They take no responsibility over this and don't even pretend they want to help. This is the worst customer service ever. Does any of you got your money back in such situation?

Hi Iwona21,

We demanded the 

ARN number, which is 20 digits long.( united Kingdom bank)

When we contacted the bank they traced the monies immediately and informed us that AirBnB have received the Monies back. We contacted AirBnB to inform them, now they say they want written confirmation from our Santander Bank!!!

Talk about deliberately delaying.... and do not give a dam about their customers. We are not new customers, so loyalty does not mean anything to AirBnB.

The agents dealing with the issue change daily and they make you start at the beginning asking to explain the problem all over again but its all on the message trail!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Naomi309
Level 2
Cheshunt, United Kingdom

@Keith511 We booked with airb&b on my grandmothers debit card. She passed away. The account was closed. Our trip was cancelled due to covid 19 so asked for a refund and told airb&b  the situation with the account being closed and they told us not to worry, it would bounce back from the bank Santander after 10 days. Airb&b now claiming that Santander have it. Santander say airb&b have it. Airb&b want proof from Santander. Now waiting on Santander. Both Santander and Airb&b have been terrible to deal with. Anyone had a positive outcome?x

Yes I got my refund back

When though? What timeframe? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Is it common practice in Europe to pay for holidays directly from your bank account, and not with a credit/debit card or third-party payment platform?  I always use PayPal for my Airbnb stays.  That way the payment is refunded to the PayPal account, which will directly credit the credit/debit card used for the payment, or I can transfer the money to my bank account if it's a cash refunded.

Hi Debra300,

Yes ... I have changed to Default to my Paypal Account.

Fingers n Toes crossed!!!

Daniel7690
Level 1
Western Cape, South Africa

Hi @Keith511 

Did you ever resolve the issue. I have a similar problem. The agent has been helpful so far but I'm not sure what to expect. The bank said it'll bounce back and the agent logged a ticket with the finance department to watch for it. I'm hoping there will be no hick ups. 

Cheers

Hi Daniel,

Never Give Up!

You will need the ARN number that AirBnB used to transfer monies to the original Account. When you receive the ARN number ring the back and ask them to confirm the date the monies where returned to AirBnB. I used the Message Board on AirBnB 2/3 times a day sking for updates!!

Took 3 months to have Monies returned.

Good luck

Keith

------------------------------
We have spoken to Santander today for the third time who have again reiterated that the funds were send back "unprocessed" as they went to our closed Santanter Account they also told us again that the ARN number is the only number that yourselves or Santander would use to trace the refunds owing to us.
The bank also made it quite clear that there should be no issue with you refunding the monies to us as it has clearly been in your account since 24th April 2020.

------------------------------

Naomi309
Level 2
Cheshunt, United Kingdom

We booked with airb&b on my grandmothers debit card. She passed away. The account was closed. Our trip was cancelled due to covid 19 so asked for a refund and told airb&b  the situation with the account being closed and they told us not to worry, it would bounce back from the bank Santander after 10 days. Airb&b now claiming that Santander have it. Santander say airb&b have it. Airb&b want proof from Santander. Now waiting on Santander. Both Santander and Airb&b have been terrible to deal with. Anyone had a positive outcome?x

Yes I got my refund 

Jasmin552
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Did this get resolved?! Same issue here