Refunding a guest

Ankur3
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Refunding a guest

Hi,

I'm a new host in the Airbnb coomunity.

The cancellation policy for my listing is 'Strict'.

Background:

A guest had to cancel his booking that he had made for 28 days from 29th July to 26th August, which brings him under the Long term cancellation policy.

Due to some misunderstanding on his part he finally decided to cancel the booking, but since it was for 28 days he got charged for almost the entire amount.

Objective:

I want to refund his money

Problem:

I still have't received any money for this booking. So if I issue a refund, will it mean that I'm giving out of my own pocket, or will it simply mean that I do not receive his payment?

Request help.

Thanks

Ankur

13 Replies 13
Renee75
Level 2
Hamilton, Bermuda

HELP!!!! It took me forever to even find a spot to pose a question!!! I am a new host.  I just had a notifcation from a guest to cancel.  I hit accept.  It is showing now that I cancelled and I cannot find anywhere where I can refund him.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really don't want a cancellation on my stats when it wasn't me that cancelled.  Also, want to refund him and I have strict policy selected (he is giving decent notice).

Sharon87
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Go to the help desk.  Take a screenshot of the conversation you had with the guest and send all of that to the helpdesk.  They will see what happened and will hopefully clear your calendar. 

This is a mistake all us first timers do.  Now You never cancel a booking, ask the guest to do the cancellation. 

Hope that helps. 

Kind Regards 

Sharon.

Helen27
Level 1
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom

on 2 occasions I have asked for addresses, waited for Airbnb to pay me and then sent a cheque to the unfortunate non- travellers.

Francesca18
Level 3
Brighton, United Kingdom

Yes but that relies on trust you really should refund them via the airbnb system. 

Helen27
Level 1

Thanks for responding, Francesca...I think the whole ethos of Airbnb is TRUST - I am trusting. 

As far as the repayment issue goes, my problem has been that I can't see a way of using the system.  Can you tell me how to do it please?  While I am here, what are the Levels following our names?  Have a good evening. H.

Hello @Helen27,

The level numbers are just an indication of how many times the person has asked or responded to questions. What the threshold to change from one level to another is, I don't know. They're not an indication of proficiency or of having passed any kind of Airbnb exam.

I'm not sure if you know about it but there is a way to send money to a guest through the Airbnb system.

It does of course have the disadvantage that if you want to refund more than they would receive from your cancellation policy you may be asked to pay the refund immediately with your credit card.

Click on "Host" and then on "Your reservations". Then find the reservation concerned and click on "Send or request money".

Then click on "Send money" and proceed from there.

Steve.

Helen27
Level 1

Thanks Steve, for your response.  I will have a go at refunding through the system.....anf for explaining the Levels......I am glad there are no exams, despite being retired that word fills me with dread!!

Albert75
Level 1
Dominican Republic

im a guest and i cancelled 4 days before the stay, which he had enough time to acquire another guest, which he had, but he hasnt refunded my money and i asked him to.

Hello @Albert75,

To allow everyone to see a question it's best to post it by clicking "Start a conversation" on the main page.

That way everyone will get to see it. The way you did it now means that only people who read Ankur's question will see yours.

What cancellation policy does the host have? Unless it is a flexible policy the host doesn't have to refund anything when the cancellation was 4 days before. If they agreed with you that they would refund then they should.

If the host has a flexible policy then Airbnb will refund you.

The different cancellation policies, flexible, moderate, strict, long term and super strict are explained here cancellation_policies.

Steve.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Ankur3,

Maybe you have tried refunding by now and know the answer.

In case not, the one time that I refunded more than was due under my policy I was asked for my credit card details and authorisation during the refund process. So I was charged immediately on my credit card.

I have a flexible refund policy, the guest cancelled on the day but I decided to refund them the whole amount.

I would suspect, since Airbnb has the money and is going to pay it to you after the original checkin date, any amount you decide to refund will be deducted from your next payout(s).

You could start the refund as a and see if it asks for your card details. You could then decide whether to proceed or abandon the process.

Steve.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ankur

Strict cancellation Policy

Why then, do you want to refund your guest his fee, this creates an expectation with guests, that the cancelation policy is a moveable feast and thus create problems for other Hosts down the line. 

You going to get absolutely nothing for the effort and time you put in on this guest how does that make sense?

Before you refund any money to this guest, make sure you have his fee from Airbnb first and that they have not deducted an cancellation fee from it, or then you will be in the unenviable position of giving your guest back more money than Airbnb said he was entitled to and be out of pocket toboot.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Donna196
Level 1
Tasmania, Australia

a guest has booked with me and would now like to cancel.  I am happy to waiver the cancellation fee for her on this occasion.

how do i do this?

I have a strict cancellation policy.  A guest has booked 3 months in advance with me and would now like to cancel for her own reasons.

I am happy to waiver the cancellation fee on this occasion for her.  How do I do this?