Refunds after having to kicking a group of guests out?

Aurora84
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Refunds after having to kicking a group of guests out?

Relatively new to hosting, so far my experience with guest has been pretty decent until last night: my suite downstairs has been listed as family friendly, I specifically ask for no parties and keep noise level down as I have 4 month old goes to sleep early. A girl from the same city instant booked my place for last night. I sent my welcome message days ago along with house rules which again indicated no party and low noise level. Anyhow so yesterday afternoon people slowly started to check themselves into the suite, shortly after we started hearing loud chatting laughing noise. We waited till 9pm to go downstairs and ask them to keep the noise down. They had 6 people in the suite which was listed for 4 max occupancy. Noise came back shortly after our visit and my baby got waken up for the second time after trying for hours to put her to sleep. I put on my cloth and went to tell them I have to ask them to leave. They apologized and packed their stuff and left after one girl said they could stay at someone else's after clubbing. So anyhow, (sorry for the long detailed story, couldn't help venting a little), I called airbnb to tell them what happened. I didn't cancel the booking as in, why should I be the one left to deal with penalty while they are the party at fault? I didn't ask for the airbnb safety and such division because they were at least polite. So my phone call left a note on her file for now. After waking up in the morning I wonder if I should refund them? Or wait for them to take action? They took up a Friday night booking in a very busy season, stayed at my place from 4pm to almost 11pm, took one shower towel with them...But on the other hand they did have to stay somewhere else, and they were polite when asked to leave. 

What's your suggestion?

Note to myself :avoid all single night weekend booking at all cost going forward. 

16 Replies 16
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Aurora84,

I must say Well Done!!! Someone that takes matter into her own hands and solve the problem instead of waiting for Airbnb to do nothing.

Do not cancel. Do not refund. Didnt you prepare the place for them to enjoy? There is your money worth.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm afraid that, in my opinion at least, 'loud chatting laughing noise' at 9pm isn't enough to throw people out. It's hardly a party. 

That's subjective isn't it. For a family with a four month old like mine yes it is. Bottom line is when we knocked on their suite door the first time there were sound of people quickly hiding away and removing bottles. Like bunch of 15 year old being busted by mom, they KNEW what they were doing were not welcomed. They were asked to keep the noise down but alcohol got in the way. 

I'm not here to argue if my action was justified. I asked them to leave and they left in peace. That's that. I'm here to see if there is a "standard practice" in a relatively civil situation like this, should I offer or should I wait. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>That's subjective isn't it. For a family with a four month old like mine yes it is.<<

Perhaps hosting in this situation isn't a great idea, unless there's a market there for brilliantly-behaved Handmaids. 

Personally, I think you treated this group poorly. If I were them, I'd want a full refund.

@Gordon0 they exceeded her maximum occupancy. Regardless of interpretation of noise level, I think she was well within her rights.

@Aurora84 I would not offer a refund. Also, if you have a two-night minimum this kind of event might be less likely.

Good idea!

@Gordon0,

I am very curious now. What would you have done? Most hosts would panic in situations like this and would come here asking what they should do about it.

The guest/s broke the house rules by bringing more unauthorised people. That for me would have been a deal breaker let alone the noise level, alcohol consumption and general misuse of the accommodation.

@Elizabeth429 

At 9pm, you might give the benefit of the doubt to guests (who after all have paid for an entire unit, not a room in somebody's house) that the other two were just visiting. 

Noise? People talking/laughing at 9pm? Grief. 
Alcohol? Is this an apartment in Gilead we're talking about?
'General misuse'? Living in the space, that they've paid for?
They were treated like kids. 

I'm all for having people keep to the rules, but really, no drinking alcohol and laughing?

I asked them politely. My baby crying her loud in the background helped. 

Gordon, good thing you are NOT them. IF isee your name i will not accept your request. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I would wait, @Aurora84. It is hard to find standard practices for such things, but when I had a guest leave without any fuss because her party plans were dashed, here is what I did:

I wrote a review in an email to myself to have it handy. "[guest name] and her unregistered guests arrived but did not stay the night."

I waited. She did not review me.

On the 14th day I posted my review.

She still did not review me. 

No refund was requested or offered.

Do you think that might work in your case?

Absolutely. Thanks for sharing. I'll try the same.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If they contact AirBnB, AirBnb will process a refund.

David
Aurora84
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for the replies all. Have a nice day/night 😃