Registration of short-term rentals begins in Toronto

Ash51
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

Registration of short-term rentals begins in Toronto

Hello,

Hope you all are doing fine in this pandemic.

I got an email from our city (Toronto) a few minutes back asking for registration for $50 annually.

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/housing-shelter/rental-housing-standards/short-term-rental/s...

It didn't say about the deadline. I think it's the end of the year for existing listing.

I am not sure about the company (Airbnb) position and reaction of the community of hosts.

I am fine to abide by the rules.

What are your thoughts on this registration process by the city?

Thanks,

Ash

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would Airbnb have a position?

. If you need to comply with your local governments regs for STR then just complete the paperwork. If you are not clear on the deadline give them a call @Ash51  

I'm not sure whether you @Helen3  are aware of the long legal fight here in Toronto or not. A provincial tribunal actually halted the city's rules about short-term rental. It took many months to get a stay order. Airbnb supported and funded the legal representation on behalf of the hosts. I think the company didn't go to (higher) court. That's why, I was looking for any additional information about the company position. If Airbnb plans to appeal in a higher court, the city rules could be deferred for another year or so and we do not need to register at this time.

City position is now clear to me.

I am looking for opinions of the hosts in Toronto and trying to understand the position of the company.

Thanks. 

Dawn298
Level 8
Toronto, Canada

Hello, @Ash51. We, too, are confused and find that we are in a very difficult position with our rental. I did not realize that Airbnb is not going to appeal to a higher court on our behalf. It seems now that we can only rent out our place for long-term stays.