Removing an apartment block from Airbnb - is it possible?

David7247
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Removing an apartment block from Airbnb - is it possible?

Hi, I've put this enquiry somewhere else on the site but thought the Community might be able to assist me.  🙂

I am on the Owners Corporation of an apartment block in Sydney, Australia. Unfortunately we've recently had to pass a by-law banning Airbnb rentals in this building, following several terrible experiences by hosts whose apartments were damaged (in one case, totally trashed) by Airbnb renters.

We're very sad we've had to take this action, but we'd like to totally remove our block from the Airbnb site, to ensure any future attempts to list apartments on Airbnb will not be successful.

Do you know if it's possible to do this? Considering there's probably multiple owners in multiple apartments with multiple Airbnb listings?

thanks so much

David

(P.S. my first time here on the Airbnb site... be gentle!)

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David7247 There is no way an Owners Corporation will be able to affect the listings of other people on the site. The best you could hope for is that Airbnb do it for you but as you appear to be discriminating against them over other STR sites I doubt they will be sympathetic even if you could contact them.

I assume you will just have to enforce the by-law yourselves against each and every Airbnb host in the building - Good luck with that.

thought this might be the answer - thanks anyway!  cheers

@David7247 No, you can't get Airbnb to selectively block a specific address or block from being listed. And even if you could do this, surely you're aware that there are dozens of other listing platforms for short-term rentals ; it wouldn't make sense to ask all of them to do the job of enforcing your rules for you.

I don't know whether your owners corporation has the legal authority to decide which listing agencies owners can or can't trade with. To establish a minimum duration for rentals is one thing, but if your rule is specific to one website, I don't see how you have the credibility to execute it. 

David7247
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

thanks @Anonymous - I was fairly sure this was going to be the answer but thought it was worth asking.