Rent out AirBNB to host minor party?

Answered!
Brian828
Level 2
Temple, PA

Rent out AirBNB to host minor party?

Hey guys, so this is my first experience checking out AirBNB.

I've been looking at places non-stop that would allow events/parties using the filter and was curious to know is it not uncommon to throw minor parties?

basically, I'm a tour manager of a musical group called swe swe and we're currently on tour in Pennsylvania. We're looking for a place to throw a party for 20-30 people as well as go snowboarding in the area of Pennsylvania near Scranton.

We are in our mid 20s, and feel that we would host a respectable party with the only disturbance of maybe loud music (hence looking for a private area)

The party would be thrown for 20-30 people like stated, but only about 5-8 would be staying the night which would be reaching the majority of listings requirements/rules.

Moral of story, is it appropriate to throw parties if it's allowed on the filter but to just check in with the host? I feel as if honsest is the best policy.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Brian828 Keep looking.  Your attitude is right and I hope you find something.  You’re right that you can find such a place by using the filter for “allows parties/events.”

One of my listings (in Maine) allows parties, and I’ve been asked multiple times about wedding receptions.  I ask that for events like that, the guest pay a venue fee of $10 per person (to cover the extra cleaning) and gets some insurance to cover damage and injury.

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Just reach out to the host and be honest. I am guessing you will get a lot of rejections though.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brian828

hm... here is common to throw a party at our own home or in a restaurant/club/coffee shop where we usually make a reservation for a table or a separate room for x people. Owners are always happy about it, we have a waiter and just pay a bill for drink and food. We are allowed to bring our own cake and snacks (except in a restaurant)

Airbnb apartments and houses are not designed for parties and are not durable and easy to clean like clubs or coffee shops. Next group of guests will expect an immaculate clean sofa, carpet, walls ...

Very few hosts on Airbnb will allow a party, we have all heard a lot of horror stories when guests throw a party and trash the entire house, disturb the neighborhood and cause a lot of trouble and costs to the host.

And btw... if the booking is on your name you are responsible for all the damage done by your guests. Can you really guarantee with your security deposit for each one of those 30 young people?

Have to disagree on AirBNB houses are not designed for parties.

If they allow "events/parties" on the filter on the website, then we're under the assumption that a party is able to be thrown. Just have to message the host.

As for horror stories, this is the least that can happen. 30 of the people is all known by us and respectful. We have had parties before with all of them with legitimately no issue. I feel as if honesty is the best policy and that's why  I've asked AirBNB owners for permission.

Another somewhat obvious answer is to my name on the security deposit which we all knew. Hence why I have to submit my drivers license... Damage will not be done by my guests, and if for some legitimate reason they help cover the costs. 

@Brian828

if events/parties are allowed then, of course, it is appropriate to contact the host for details and the price

Correct.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian828  The majority of hosts would not consider a party consisting of 30 people in their mid-20's to be "minor". You say your group is respectful and there's never before been a problem, but a "problem" can be viewed by guests much differently than by hosts. Even though you say only 5-8 will be actually spending the night, there will be, for instance, 30 people using the bathroom for several hours. if someone flushes something down the toilet that plugs up the plumbing, are you going to be willing to pay for whatever it costs to get a plumber out to fix it? If someone gets drunk and stumbles and breaks something, are you going to be forthcoming with replacement value? Are you going to go around and pick up all the cigarette butts people throw in the yard or butt out in the potted plants? Do you expect the host to provide amenities like hot water, toilet paper, towels, drinking water for 30 people when you're only paying for up to 8 guests? Just asking.

But it is great that you say you feel honesty is the best policy- it is and that's a respectful attitude. I know lots of people in your age group who are nice, respectful people, but also many who are just clueless about what constitutes leaving a place clean and tidy. Perhaps renting a space in a local community hall for your party would be more appropriate than an Airbnb home.

A problem is viewed to me as destruction, not respecting property, and not obeying house rules.

These 30 people are not randoms that show up uninvitied. These are who we have had years of experience with and wouldn't do wasteful things such as flush items down the toilet.

Perhaps the older generation seeks us as destructive and careless, but that's just legitimately not the case.

I feel as if my post was more about is it against AirBNB rules to throw a party, but if it's in the filter for parties/events then I feel as if it's fine and more about respecting the owners property.

Any party thrown by us will have drinks, toilet paper, drinking water, and towels for the guests that are staying the night. Water isn't expensive for a 24+ pack, and if we can buy an AirBNB for the night w/ security deposit paying for small things such as that should be the least of the concerns.

As for renting a venue, that's not optional for the location we're looking at in the Poconos/Scranton.

We need a comfortable place where people can relax and just have a good time. Just like any party.

This isn't project x. These are responsible people in their mid 20s.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Brian828 Keep looking.  Your attitude is right and I hope you find something.  You’re right that you can find such a place by using the filter for “allows parties/events.”

One of my listings (in Maine) allows parties, and I’ve been asked multiple times about wedding receptions.  I ask that for events like that, the guest pay a venue fee of $10 per person (to cover the extra cleaning) and gets some insurance to cover damage and injury.

That's great! If we were in Maine we'd snatch your place up in an instant!

If a guest pays a venue fee of $10 per person, that covers more than enough to cover damage and injury. Though these are always worst case scenarios it's more than appropriate.

And no! That $10 doesn’t cover damage or injury. That would always be additional and entirely your responsibility. The $10 is the get in the door cover fee

I completely understood her message................

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Brian828 Yes, honest communication 

yes, expect to pay a fee for those extra guests

yes, control your guests & noise level so as to not cause damage/inconvenience to the host home and/or their neighbors 

and, improve your profile. Write something in the about me section, get a couple good reviews attributed to you, and be a person not a go kart. 

Good luck

Be a person not a go-kart?

That's my Facebook profile picture. I'm not going to change my Facebook profile picture just for AirBNB.

Though I will update information.

Also, lets not be so ignorant. This is 6x the size of a Go-Kart.

Go-Kart racing is a hobby, Sprint Car racing is a career of mine that I've done for 13 years.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

But @Brian828  your Sprint car is not booking a place to stay and hold a party, you are. Hosts would appreciate a real profile photo and will be more likely to be open and comfortable with your booking if you are open about what you look like. A Facebook photo is different- Facebook isn't welcoming you as a stranger into their home and trusting you to be respectful.