Rental Agreement

Deborah28
Level 1
Maumee, OH

Rental Agreement

I am a new host to Airbnb.  I have my first contact interested in renting.  I don't see where I attach my Rental Agreement for them to execute.  I don't see a place to do so.  Deborah

78 Replies 78

I used VRBO and always sent a rental agreement for the renter to sign and return. Rental agreements don't go out to renters on Airbnb?!

@Jo-Anne9

Correct

David

The answer is NO.

If you are going to require a renter to sign an additional agreement, outside of the T&C of Airbnb, you should refund the renter the Airbnb fees. The value in renting through a site like this is that it protects both parties equitably. If, as a host, you don’t feel it does than you should not use the site at all. Additionally, if you sign up with ABNB and then sign another rental agreement, it may have conflicting T&C and in a dispute, which prevails? But as a ABNB host, you can’t ask a renter to sign both. That’s time consuming, confusing and negates the value of going through a site like ABNB.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/465/can-hosts-ask-guests-to-sign-a-contract

@Amy1074 actually yes you can ask for a separate rental agreement signed, as it is explained on the Airbnb website. 

I wasn’t implying you could not ask for them to sign one, I was saying that you should refund the guest their Airbnb fees then. Why should a renter pay the fees if they then have to comply with different terms. There are so many issues with this, I could go on and on, from a liability, cost/benefit, legal aspect, etc. If other sites offer you the option of attaching a contract and Airbnb does not, then why not just use them? And don’t use Airbnb? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Amy1074 you are a Superhost, you should know that we don't get the Airbnb fees, those are for Airbnb, why should we refund them? The fees cover the usage of the platform, the transactions and any other expenses Airbnb might have. There are hosts here who rent their places for events and other gatherings, they are legally required to have an agreement, why should they refund any money? If the guest doesn't want to sign additional agreements they should choose a property that doesn't require one. No one is forcing them to sign anything, the terms of the agreement should be disclosed before booking and they are free to decide whether to book or not. 

The fees are well worth it! Where else do you get global marketing and that kind of value, at that rate. My point was more around the guest and the inconvenience another rental agreement causes them, of which they pay for when they book your place!

If you went to a restaurant and ordered a meal, got the bill, and then they handed you another bill for sitting at the table too, how would you feel? You already picked the restaurant and ordered and now they want you to absorb another cost for choosing them even though the menu was already provided and they ordered from it? Another “agreement” is unnecessary. Clearly communicate your terms on the site and be done with it. Bottom line is, let’s say the person signs your personal rental agreement and then they violate it (damage something, have one more guest than allowed, etc) are you going to pay a lawyer to sue them for damages? Do you know what that would cost? The fees that Airbnb collects is insignificant compared to the value, and they support you should there be damage. I trust that the Airbnb platform will protect me as a host and guest. I don’t require additional paperwork. But if I was someone who did, I don’t think that would be fair to the Airbnb guest. To ask them to sign up, be approved as a traveler on the site, and then they book your property based on the terms you disclose on the site, but then you require they sign a separate agreement, I don’t think it’s necessary, it can cause a conflict between your additional agreement and the Airbnb agreement, it’s time consuming and most likely will never be enforced because it’s too costly to do so anyway. I am a super host because I have put the guests first! I am not doing them a favor letting them rent my place. Rather, I feel honored to host them and love having others enjoy my property as much as I do. So I streamline the process, trust the guest and treat them like family so then in turn, they treat my home like their own.  

Yes, but since you can't send that agreement to your guests before they do an instant booking, it pretty much eliminates the possibility of guest agreeing to any of your terms before they book, and that leads to arguments and bad reviews.

I agree. I have been using VRBO for 5 years and just started with Abnb because the name is everywhere  including tv shows but I absolutely hate their platform after using VRBO. It is not user friendly and is lacking many features especially being able to attach a document and having a rental agreement up front. 

Once you get used to AirBnB or VRBO, you'll find that one sucks and the other blows.

David1062
Level 1
Greater Napanee, Canada

I agree Airbnb should let us upload a PDF copy of our rental agreement for people to see. As others have said, there are other booking sites that allow us to do it.

Yes, VRBO/Home Away allows you to upload a rental agreement.

Yup, VRBO allows it.  So does TripAdvisor.  

In addition, many HOAs, insurance policies and some localities (cities, towns, etc.) require certain provisions in rental agreements.  My insurance company (as do most insurance companies) require that renters accept liability for their guests.

Hi @Laura1429 - My insurance requires this as well!  So how do you DO IT?  Have you found a way to send and have signed rental agreements from ABB guests?