Rental Scam! Red Flags and How to Avoid.

Answered!

Rental Scam! Red Flags and How to Avoid.

*The reason why I started a new coversation regarding rental scams is because "the owner" I contacted sounded legit and seemed to know Airbnb long-term rental rules. Different from other scamming stories I read online, he did not ask me to transfer money outside of Airbnb (at least not yet). Instead, he indicated that everything, including the payment and the rental contract, will go through Airbnb. However, he still raised lots of red flags (details down below). After contacting Airbnb Customer Support, they confirmed that the emails were sent by an unauthorized party.*

*From what I know and hear, Airbnb DOES NOT have local agents to help handling the rental matters.*

*Check the website URLs. Should be under "www.airbnb.com". Otherwise are fake.*
*If you are in doubt, contact Airbnb Customer Support before taking any actions (including clicking links in the emails if any).*  

For the past few weeks, I have been searching for an apartment to rent in Miami. I found this too-good-to-be-true listing on both rental website (Zumper) and advertisement on Facebook Marketplace. For those who don't have much idea about Miami rental price: normally a 1 bed/1 bath apartment cost around $1,200+ just the place itself. This listing offers $1,000 only for a 2bed/2bath townhouse including all utilities (water, electricity, internet etc.). Out of curiosity, I made contact through Facebook message. It was later on directed to Zumper for "the owner" to contact me via email. At first he sounded cool (tho explained a little too much), but soon rasied lots of red flags once he mentioned Airbnb. 

1. No listing post available on Airbnb site.
  2. Described Airbnb as "the biggest international website dealing specifically in rental properties." 
  3. Ask for information in order to "provide Airbnb with your details."
    (Never heard hosts booking for renters on Airbnb. Should be the other way round!)
  4. Only allows potential tenants to check on the property after paying full amount deposit (in my case $1,000).
    (Mentioned refund but do not trust them! Why don't you allow people to book one day stay with a discounted price (or even in full) to check on the property?) 
  5. "The property looks like in the pictures."

Other detials I found weird:

- Almost exact wording as other Airbnb scams people shared online. "If you decide to proceed with this transaction, ..."

- Keep mentioning Madrid/Spain. Okay, I get it. You live in Madrid/Spain. 

- Interesting timing. He sent me emails at 6:58pm, 10:05pm, and 10:43am EST. I did a little math, it should be 12:58am, 4:05am, and 4:43pm Madrid/Spain time. Sounded like a hardworking person who is very eager to rent out his property in Miami/USA.

Following are the emails:

Hello,
My name is Miguel Rufino Garcia and I am the owner of the property I am happy to let you know that it is still available for long or short term rental. I bought this property for my daughter during her studies in the US, but now she is back home in Spain, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).
The property looks like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,000 per month. One month deposit of $1,000 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, I will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Madrid/Spain, so we won't disturb you.
Before we proceed I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the property, and for how long.
All the best from Spain,
Miguel

Hi again,
Everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Madrid/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. I can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.
I hope you are familiar with Airbnb, but if not i'll explain you how it works..
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long.. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them with your details. Next you will receive a notification message with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys with the rental contract.
This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure the apt in your favor...
Let me know,
Miguel

Hello again,
At this moment i dont have it listed on Airbnb, but if you are interested, Airbnb will send you a notification and you can see the listing with pictures and description on Airbnb website. Also on the notification, you will receive the steps on how you need to proceed in order to book the apartment. Everything will be thru them, including the payment and sign of the rental contract. Once you confirm the booking with Airbnb, an agent from them will show you the apartment. However, they will ask you to pay them the security deposit in amount of $1,000 before that. They will hold your funds and they wont release anything to me until you have checked the apartment, you decide to rent it and we sign the rental contract. At any time, you can request for a refund if you are not happy with the apartment.
Please send me your full name, phone number, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long.
Looking forward to receive your email.

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

176 Replies 176
Andres738
Level 1
Orlando, FL

Similar scam ALMOST got me! Also a man in Spain sent a professional email and a “Reservation” website that looks ALMOST identical to air bnb website however all the hyperlinks and web widgets are disabled which was the last red flag for me! They also were asking for a wire transfer which was crazy! 

dodged a bullet on this one! 

Sylvia620
Level 1
New York, NY

Wow, didn't realize so many of these scammers were out there. My scammer wrote something very similar....Watch out for this scammer in Scarsdale, NY. who was found on craigslist. I kept asking for the actual airbnb link of her apt listing and told her my lawyers will make payment once the link was provided. Looks like she has ghosted me now.🤔

Scammer claimed:
"Once you send the payment confirmation (deposit $800) to Airbnb, they will confirm it and then you can check the apartment with an Airbnb agent."

Scammer: Jacqueline White <jacqueline.white@tyionewfirm.com>
Fri 10/23/2020 3:30 PM
Hello,

I am Jacqueline White, the owner of the flat,  i'm happy to let you know that my apartment is presently available even for long and short term periods.I moved permanently with my family to my hometown of Ogden, Utah . I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).The flat looks like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 800$ per month plus one month deposit of 800$ is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.
I look forward to hearing new news from you .
All the best

SCAMMER: Jacqueline White <jacqueline.white@tyionewfirm.com>
Sat 10/24/2020 8:55 PM

Once you send the payment confirmation (deposit $800) to Airbnb, they will confirm it and then you can check the apartment with an Airbnb agent. During the viewing time, they will bring you a standard rental contract so you can review it and if you want to change something on it, we can talk, no problem. You need to deposit the money to Airbnb and they will show you the apartment. They wont pay me until you decide to rent the apartment and you move in. If you dont like the apartment, after the viewing, you will get refund and Airbnb will send you the full deposit back.
Only after you have seen the apartment and you agree to rent it, i will come there and we will sign the contract. On the contract i will put a bank account where you have to pay the rent every month.I am working on a contract with a property management company to take care of any problems there. By the time we will sign the lease contract, everything will be done and settled with them.
I need the following information for Airbnb reservation request: I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date you want to enter the apartment, how many people will live there and how long.!!!

I hope i have answered to your questions.

Hi Guys. Found a really nice place to rent for a long term. But something is bugging me with email received below. What do you fink?

My name is __________, I am the Owner/Landlord of this property.
Recently I have moved to Ireland due to work commitments. I am an Archaeologist... I have a project here that will take 5 years and I can't be present to deal face to face and there is also this Coronavirus situation... Anyway, this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment through Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) which is an international rental online platform. I've used Airbnb services in the past, and I was very pleased with their services. Do you know how they work?
About reservation; We use Airbnb only for the first month... After this month with Airbnb we will continue with a long term contract and you will pay me the monthly rent directly to my bank account for the rest of the long term contract agreement. We will specify in the contract that you already made a reservation and paid for the first month through Airbnb. The 800 £ monthly rent includes all bills. Security deposit with Airbnb is 800 £ + 23 £ (Airbnb fees). The total amount to reserve the apartment is: 800 £ + 800 £ + 23 £ = 1623 £. Also, your security deposit is refunded by Airbnb at the end of the first month.

Anytime you are ready and have the 1623 £ available on your credit card / bank account, I can provide the Airbnb booking link and within 5 minutes you can reserve the apartment and move in on 05/12/2020.
Thank you.

This is a scam. You are dealing with a criminal. @Artūras1

Thanks.

Hazel-Ann2
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

@Charlotte285 
same scam happened to me. Same story, just owner pretending to be in abroad, in Germany. And the flat is in London. Here goes the very dodgy email from the fake owner name Carly Amanda Lockwood."

Let me explain how the thing works. In order to view the apartment you have to submit through airbnb the first 2 months rent and security deposit `` guarantee ``. You have to pay directly to them, not to me. Only after your deposit is registered in their escrow bank account in max 48 hours an agent from airbnb will contact you to establish a meeting place with the keys and the documents. You have 2 days to inspect the apartment and make a decision, If you don't like the apartment you will receive all your money back from airbnb in 24 hours. If you like the apartment then you will sign the contract, they will release the payment to me and you will be able to move in the next 24 hours or at your convenience.
The agent will arrange the visit and if you decide to rent the apartment, you must sign the contract of rent during the period wanted by you ( we will make a fixed rent contract regarding British law between us ).

For the first 2 months you will have nothing else to pay, because once you decide to move in the apartment, Airbnb will transfer the money to my bank account. Starting the 3trd month, you will pay the monthly rent in my personal account.
I'm pretty sure that you will love the apartment, but if not, you still have the option to cancel and get your money back from the Airbnb Guests Protection, immediately.
In this way, both are safe.

In order to reserve the apartment, I need the following information (complete name of the future tenant; direct telephone number;). Also I need a copy of your ID or passport to complete all the necessary papers for you as a future tenant.  After that I will list the apartment on Airbnb and send you the link so you can book it.

P.S. Please bear in mind that this is a payment authorization and not a payment, which means, you will not pay for anything at this stage. Your proof deposit is for their insurance because their biggest concern is that they need to be sure you are really interested in renting the place and to show that you are ready, willing, and able to pay for the rent.
Elisa2430
Level 2
Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

Hello,

I am currently looking for properties in London and I found one on marketplace, the contact person is this Amanda Carly Lockwood, I havent made any deals or paid anything, can you please confirm if this person is a scammer ?

Thank you 

Elisa FJ

@Elisa2430  Of course it's a scam. Airbnb doesn't work like that.

Newest version of the scam in California -- they actual sent a guy's passport picture, which is so awful. 

Chris L <hennig@johnstone-moyer.com>

Feb 20, 2021, 8:01 AM (4 days ago)

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment, it is still available. I
will try to give you as many details as I can regarding the apartment
in the following email.

The full address of the apartment is 785 Taft Ave, Albany, CA 94706 .
Everything is just like in the pictures, fully equipped with
all the appliances you need, very clean and well kept. The apartment
can be rented furnished or if you want you can use your furniture and
deposit mine in the storage unit. I work as an civil engineer and the
company I work for has developed projects all around the world. Now, I
have received a very good offer from them to move to the United
Kingdom department, an offer that I have accepted.

The apartment is vacant so you can move-in anytime you want, also my
contract in the UK is for the next 6 years, so for this period, I will not
return 100%.

The rent of 1000$/month is for the whole apartment and includes all
the utilities: heat, water, electricity, parking, laundry in-suite,
washer and dryer also included, cable and internet. You will have full
access to all building amenities. Just in case repairs are needed
there, I will cover the costs, so no worries. The price I'm asking is
below the market because I want to find a responsible tenant to take
good care of the place.

I'm the owner of the apartment, it's already paid in full and there is
no mortgage on it. You have everything you need near-by (public
transportation, schools, groceries etc.). Also I love pets, so if you
have any pets, I won't have any problem, pets are allowed. Honestly
from my point of view I'm sure that You'll love it for sure and rent it
on the spot.

Few questions:
  - I would like to know how many people will live in the apartment?
  - Any pets?
  - How long do you intend to rent the apartment for?

Please let me know if you are really interested in the place so we can
discuss further.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you!
Chris

PS: I attached all the pictures that I have with the apartment (as
you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition).
PS 2: Also, I have attached a few pictures with me, so you can put
a face to the name.

HAHA wow I was sent this same exact email from beginning to the PS (except different address and email). Fortunately I did not send any money. Thanks for posting this!

James179
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Pablo Riva was trying to let my Airbnb flat here in Brighton Uk this weekend. He advertised it on Zoopla but ad has disappeared. Luckily the lady who enquired recognised the photos from my real Airbnb listing and contacted me direct. Here’s am what he said to her: 

On Feb 28, 2021, at 10:10 PM, pablo riva wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to look at my property. I am a civil engineer, originally from United Kingdom.I am looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my flat . I am not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean all the time and the possible tenant will see the flat as his
or her own and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself. The flat is fully furnished with all necessary amenities (exactly like in the pics). It has dishwasher, washing machine and clothes dryer. There are one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want to use your furniture). Pets allowed.The monthly rent for the flat is 494 pounds and also includes tax, so there is nothing else to be paid on top of that. The property is being managed by Airbnb and they will handle the whole rental process.
If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Regards,

BE AWARE FOLKS!

Lauramay1
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I was sent nearly an identical email yesterday in regard to a flat in Glasgow, thankfully after the second email asking me for money and personal info red flags arose.

Hello
Thank you for taking the time to look at my property. The apartment is fully furnished, with all the necessary facilities. It has a dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. There is a parking space, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you do not like and want to use your furniture). Pets allowed. The monthly rent of the apartment includes everything. I'm looking for a responsible person who can take very good care of my apartment. The property is managed by Airbnb and will handle the entire rental process.The monthly rent for the flat is 520 pounds and also includes tax, so there is nothing else to be paid on top of that.If you want to know more about the rental process, please get back to us and I will send you the step-by-step procedure.
Regards 

@Lauramay1  Here is the red flag in the FIRST message- 

"The property is managed by Airbnb..."

Airbnb doesn't manage properties. They are just an online listing and booking service.

And:

"If you want to know more about the rental process, please get back to us and I will send you the step-by-step procedure."

If it's a real Airbnb property, a host would just send you the link to their listing ad on Airbnb. Hosts don't send step-by-step booking procedures to guests. Hosts don't arrange the booking. Guests do all that through their own Airbnb account.

Thank you @Charlotte285 for starting this thread. This happened to me just a day or 2 ago. The email came from an org domain, and he also mentioned that he worked at a construction company. He even sent over a scan of his passport to me. I knew the whole deal was too good to be true. But I fell for it anyway. I feel so stupid. 
I was asked to send over the deposit to 2 different “Airbnb payment representatives” via MoneyGram. I was told that this would be placed in an escrow account and would be refunded in case I didn’t like the apartment. They even sent over legitimate looking documents from Airbnb assuring me of the refund. I was told that I will be sent a rental package with the keys and the contract and that he wouldn’t be able to show me the place himself since he lives in London and this was for an apartment in San Diego, CA. 
Fortunately I realized it before they were able to go down and pick up the payment. I looked into this forum and realized it has happened to tons of people. I was able to call up MoneyGram and get the transaction canceled in time. 

Aleksander24
Level 1
Elbasan, Albania

Hi, can someone help to verify is this is a scam ! I already sent them my ID but I think its a scam @Airbnb 

https://www.alrbnb.com.travel.list049387722-places-date.cloud/rooms/IO279321?source_impression_id=p7...

To rent the apartment immediately please select the period for minimum one month and click " Reserve " .
After you will complete the Airbnb steps, they will send you the invoice with the payment details and the confirmation . The funds must be transferred to Airbnb.
If you want to pay for 4 months in advance, you must do the booking for 4 months and you will receive a discount of 20% from whole amount.