Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196

elizabeth.amy.d@swetpeaks.com

1589 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02446

Hello,I am Elizabeth Donaldson,  the owner of this property and i'm  happy to let you know that my unit is presently available even for long  and short term periods. I bought it for my son during his studies, but  now he's back home in Bozeman,MT so I'm renting the place for unlimited  time (preferable for long periods).The flat looks like in the pictures.  The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet,  1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, etc.) are included in the  price of $1000 per month.
Deposit of $ 1000  is also requested and fully  refundable once you decide to leave (with a 30 days notice before). As  from my side, i will never ask you to leave because my son permanently  living here in Montana, so we won't disturb you. Before we go any  further I would like to know something about you, like how many persons  you intend to live there and for how long. Elizabeth 

after my response

Everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Bozeman,Montana and unfortunately i can't be present to deal in person. I can arrange to rent it from here through airbnb, which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date when you want to move-in, how many people would live there and for how long. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Montana, providing them with your details. Next you will receive a reservation request with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to inspect the unit with an agent and decide if you want it.
This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure this home in your favor.

Let me know

I really believed in this and so never used vanilla prepaid befe either :)))

I just did set up the reservation for you at this special long term price, so please check your e-mail (inbox/spam folder) and follow the steps to finalize the booking.I'll be waiting the confirmation from you and from Airbnb. You can also find an online contact form on their notifications, where you can go and chat with a representative from Airbnb just in case you have any questions.

Let me know if you got it.

As long as you want. You will not be charged. Once you send the payment confirmation (deposit $1000) to Airbnb, they will confirm it and then you can check the unit with an Airbnb agent. During the viewing time, they will bring you a standard rental contract so you can review it and if you want to change something on it, we can talk, no problem.  You need to deposit the money to Airbnb and they will show you the inside. They wont pay me until you decide to rent it. If you decide to decline after inspection, you will get a full refund from Airbnb.
Only after you have seen the unit and you agree to rent it, i will come there and we will sign the contract. On the contract i will put a bank account where you have to pay the rent every month.I am working on a contract with a property management company to take care of any problems there. By the time we will sign the lease contract, everything will be done and settled with them.

I hope i have answered to your questions.

So looks like I just saved 1000$

Thank you all for this! omg cant believe still...

OMG this is what exactly Martha Moyer sent me!!!! 

Helen2287
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Like so many people on this thread I also (almost) fell for this scam!

This is happening in the UK too and the wording of the email almost exactly matches that of the post prior to mine:

First email:

Hi Helen,

My name is Rebecca Sims. I'm glad you are interested in renting my flat.
The flat is available now, in a quiet location and has all facilities
and equipment: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high-speed
internet, pets are allowed.
The monthly rent for the entire property is GBP650, it is also important
that the additional costs (water, electricity, digital television) are
included in the price.
At the moment I am with work in Dublin so I cannot meet you in person,
but I have a solution to this inconvenience.
If interested, I can offer you more details. For which period do you
need it? I would like more information about you if you do not mind.
The flat is furnished, renovated and fully equipped (washing machine,
fridge, microwave, dishwasher, digital TV, wireless broadband).
You can use my furniture, or you can use your own if you prefer. If you
choose yours, you have access to a very large and well-ventilated
storage where you can store my furniture.
Thank you for your interest and I look forward to future cooperation and
friendship.

I attach my apt pictures.
With best regards, Rebecca Sims

Second email:

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your email.
You can rent my flat from tomorrow, for an indefinite period. The price per month is GBP650 bills included (gas, water, electricity, TV, parking and council tax).
Because I'm out of the city with work, I have a solution so you can move in as quickly as possible. I do not have the time to meet any potential tenants, so I choose Airbnb. I use the Airbnb service at the beginning to find a tenant.
So you can visit and rent the flat, I use the www.airbnb.com/trust 
platform. Airbnb offers an online platform that connects hosts who rent accommodation with guests who wish to rent such accommodation.
The Airbnb company requires payment of the first 2 months + a deposit of GBP1300. This is requested at the beginning of the lease and refunded at the end of the contract (if 30 days notice is given). After these first 2 months, you transfer the monthly rent directly to my personal bank account.
You must book the first two months through the website. Once your booking is confirmed, the Airbnb representative will contact you to arrange the appointment and you can move in immediately.
The meeting will take place in the flat and he will give you the keys and sign the contract for the period of your choice (we will conclude a fixed rental agreement under British law from 2 months up to 10 years).
If at that point you are not happy with the property, no contract will be signed and you will be fully refunded the very same day.
All other details about you are welcome. I would like to rent the flat for someone who takes care of it.
I have invested a lot in this flat and I am sure you will love it.

I think that's it for the moment, I hope I did not forget anything.

Sincerely, Rebecca

WOW. I knew something didn't seem right and the apartment was too good to be true!

So glad I found this thread. Good luck to everyone trying to get their money back, I can't believe people like this exist.

Hi Helen, Hi everyone, 

@Helen2287  These are exactly the same emails I received from 

Brenda Wallinger

I saw the flat on FB marketplace advertised by a guy named Jez Cockrell. There was a photo saying  it was his sisters flat and to contact her on the email address stated above. 
It really looked too good to be true, but I emailed the woman anyway,  after the second email I felt something wasn't right so did some research, first red flag was when I went back to FB to check the flat again and  it was gone ( when I saw it first it just had been uploaded a day ago). Second that when I tried to find it on Airbnb it wasn't listed. I've never used Airbnb before so googled and that's how I found this thread.  Thank goodness. I did send her my passport unfortunately but didn't send the money. 

@Timea7  Good thing you sensed a scam. I suggest you read all the information for guests on the Airbnb site re how to make a booking and other info. 

You never send money to anyone when you make a booking. You sign up to have an account, fill out your profile and required info, including your credit card info, and Airbnb charges your card. They retain that money and only release it to the host after the guest checks in. The host never sees your credit card info, or the govt ID you upload to the site.

Your personal information, like your phone number, is not visible to a host until after the booking has been confirmed. And email addresses can only be exchanged between host and guest after a booking is confirmed. Before that, attempts to include that in a message will be blocked out.

Hi @Sarah977 ,

Thanks for your comment,

I did mark it as phishing on  my gmail but it won't prevent her to still see my passport does it?

I am worried that they will misuse my passport, does it help if I report to cyber crimes, what else do I have to do?

@Timea7  If you emailed a copy of your passport before you marked it as phishing, I would assume they got it. 

You should report it to the site you found the ad on, as well as cybercrimes.

But these scams have been going on for a long time, so I guess these guys are hard to catch.

Kimberley110
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

This happend to me with the same person I sent her a photo of my passport but luckily it was just the photo I hope nothing will come of it as I've reported it to the police 

Kirsty123
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I had exactly the same, same person and everything, apart from the guy was called Earl Harvey on Facebook.

Wow!

Thank you so much for posting this, I would’ve been scammed today with the same person. 

Hi,

My name is Eleanor West. I'm glad you are interested in renting my apartment. It will be available from 27 of September.
It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment and comes fully furnished, with all the necessary amenities: dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, tv and internet.
The monthly rent for the entire property is £650 and it is also important that the additional costs (water, electricity, digital television) are included in the price.. The pets are accepted. There are one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want to use your furniture).
I would like a long term rental. For which period do you need it?
I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, lifestyle, etc)?
At the moment I am working in Cape Town so I can not meet you in person, but I have a solution to this inconvenience.

Let me know if you are interested!
With best regards, Eleanor West

After I send my reply ……

Thank you for email me back.
You can rent my apartment for an indefinite period.
Because I'm out of the city with work, I have a solution so you can move in as quickly as possible. I do not have the time to meet any potential tenants, so I choose Airbnb. I used the Airbnb service at the beginning to find a tenant.
I rent the apartment through Airbnb because they will handle the entire rental process on my behalf. Airbnb offers an online platform that connects hosts who rent accommodation with guests who wish to rent such accommodation.
The Airbnb company requires payment of a month + a security deposit of £750. So the total will be £1400. The security deposit will be returned to you at the end of the contract if the apartment will have no damages. Starting with the next month you will have to pay monthly.  
You must book the first 2 months through the website. Once your booking is confirmed, an Airbnb representative will contact you to arrange the appointment and you can move in immediately. The meeting will take place in the apt and he will give you the keys and sign the contract for the period of your choice.
All other details about you are welcome. I would like to rent the apt for someone who takes care of it.
I have invested a lot in this flat and I am sure you will love it.

Kind regards!

Here where my inner guts have been upset… then I googled it and I was sure it’s a scam. I found the ad in Facebook marketplace and the email address was in a picture, which said for contact use this email: eleanorwest1989@gmail.com

Thank you for sharing this with us.

@Afag3 Thank god, I did exactly the same as you did only 20 minutes ago then found this forum - unfortunately I sent my ID in an email.

Really strange because I was so excited and I was dying to tell my daughter we’d found a home but my gut was yelling louder than it ever has! I didn’t tell her so she wouldn’t get her hopes built up - but can you imagine 😮 People’s futures dashed because of deceitful, greedy con artists 😏 

Thank you for sharing your story!! 

I got the same email 😨

The apartment is currently rented, but will be available to move starting with 2th of November.
It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment, located on the second floor and comes fully furnished, with all the necessary amenities: dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, tv and internet.
The monthly rent for the entire property is £650 and it is also important that the additional costs (gas, water, electricity, TV, parking and council tax) are included in the price.. The pets are accepted. There are one parking spots, a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you don't like it and you want to use your furniture).
I would like a long term rental (minimum 6 months). For which period do you need it?
I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, lifestyle, etc)?
As you will see in the attached pictures, it is a truly luxurious apartment in which was invested a lot of money so will be required a security deposit of £750 upfront.
At the moment I am working in Cape Town so I can not meet you in person, but I have a solution to this inconvenience.

Let me know if you are interested!
With best regards, Dr. Eleanor West

Allison445
Level 2
Webster, NY

Big Scam. Thankfully I googled the name and this thread popped up: 

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 7:23 AM Aella Bakker <bakkeraella@bpzmasda.com> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in renting my apartment, I'm flexible in renting  3- to 24-month lease.
It's a one bedroom with one bathroom apartment, here you can see some pictures: https://myalbum.com/album/bBKmQThrjuCs
Apartment address: 1430 Monroe Ave, Rochester, NY 14618

The apartment comes fully furnished and with all the necessary amenities, exactly as you can see in the pictures, with dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, TV and internet. The pets are accepted. Also, it's a private parking space available for free.

The rental price per month is $750.00, security deposit is $750.00 so the total cost to move in is $1,500.00.

My name is Aella Bakker and I'm originally from Amsterdam, Netherlands. I have worked in the United States for three years and I bought the apartment during my stay there. I'm the owner of it. Now, I have moved with my work in Madrid, Spain for at least 4 years and I'm interested in renting through Airbnb. I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, lifestyle, etc)?

If you are interested please let me know so I can explain how you can rent my apartment through Airbnb.

Best wishes
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It's important to understand that it doesn't matter what the name the scammer gives is. These scammers use stolen ID and constantly change the names they use. What matters is that a legitimate Airbnb host would never send you an email like this. If an Airbnb host advertises in other places in order to get more exposure, and wants guests to book through Airbnb, all they would do is give you the link to their Airbnb listing and then it would be in your court to book the listing or not (hosts have no part in the process of a guest booking, other than to either click on the accept or decline options). They aren't going to tell you some story about how they bought the apartment and had to move, and it's unheard of for a host to rent for more than a few months to one guest through Airbnb, because Airbnb isn't set up for that. If a home owner is looking for a long-term tenant, they would do that privately, not through Airbnb.

@Allison445

Thank you for your input.... all great points. I understand this. I am not a victim.. I saw this post on Craig's and it seemed too good to be true. I googled the name and key words and was immediately linked to over 1600 fraud alerts from this user... including this thread.  My hope for posting the scam email was to keep this thread active so Google searches for any of these keywords would turn up for others. Thing is, this particularly name has been used many many many times in dozens of locations. If this post/thread successfully thwarts anyone being duped I'm happy to be a part of it. I also contacted Craigslist where this ad was originally posted.