Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer

at least you are wise enough to follow your gut instinct. if it walks like a duck,, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, the probability is that is a duck..  you are correct in  the assumption that is a scam.. it is..all around the mountain... it appears that these scam arists seem to have chosen spain as ground zero for these fradulent activities.. don't waste your time or money dealing with this person,,

find yourself a reputable agency with verifiable information not unless you like sending your money to unknown persons with unknown accounts.. i was almost victim of this okey doke, but saw at the last minute, after things just didnt jive nor was verifiable that i was being hoodwinked..

nope not a victim here...

rosemary

View Best Answer in original post

1,192 Replies 1,192

thank you for this thread. you probably saved me 2000 chf. saw this apartment in homegate.ch and they approached me via WhatsApp up-do with the examples above script: living abroad, deposit first, viewing thereafter, refunding full or contract. what amazes me is that they used very obvious language pertaining to a completely amateur scam.

Hii

I've been gerting mails too. Luckily i did research and found this site 

This is an example. Ive seen some more and they change only a few thing . : 

Hello,

My name is Sylvia Stern and I am the co-owner of STERN RENTALS, we wanted to open a shop in Netherlands and we bought this apartment now, we want to rent the apartment, due to this fact, we offer our apartment for rent from 2 months up to as long as you need! 
The apartment is located in.........Netherlands. It has 3 bedroom, bathroom, fully equiped kitchen and a total of 75m2.
The rent per month is €600 (for the whole apartment) there are no additional costs also all the utilities are included.
As I said earlier, we now are in Bramhall, we are the only one's who have the keys and papers, but we need to find a solution for this problem so that you can move as fast as possible in the apartment. We sent you photos right now they are attached to this email.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon!  

Show quoted text

Hello Riendella, 

You can register at the address ( at City Hall ) . Also pets are accepted.
In the price of 600 EUR are included: cable , wifi. electrify, water.
We also have a basement there so you can take out anything you don't like or need.
The apartment is ready for you, you will only have to receive the keys and the contract to check it and see if you like it! In order of that, We found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast so you will receive the keys and papers in less than 3 days. Regarding the monthly payments we want to receive them in our company bank account, so we hope it will be no problem for you. No one could help us show you the apartment because we don't know the neighbors very well.
One week ago i sent one employee to Holland to make the contract with the new tenant but when he got there the person who wanted to rent the Apartment didn't answer so we lost money and time so:
The solution we chosen is provided by a well known company called Airbnb www.airbnb.com, they handle rentals for people who are unable to solve them alone (for people who have work contracts abroad etc.), so they will handle both the delivery and payment issues. We will pay all the shipping taxes for the package. We would like to know more details about you...your age, your occupation, this just to know us better, it is very important for us to know who will live in my apartment because we want a good person.
We think you can understand us. And finally we request for a 2 months deposit (1 month warranty+1 month of rent).

Thank you and if you are interested I'll explain you more about how we will do this!

Best regards,
Sylvia Stern
Co-owner
Web:
Show quoted text

I've just received the exact first email you quoted. I am now waiting for the reply. I'm very glad I saw your post, this will save me a lot of heartache, money and nonsense... thanks!

It has happened to me recently and i lost 1800.00€.Also i gave her a cooy my ID card and my wife's.for me she introduced herself as Paula Estany Miravitlles.I am in Iran at the moment and in 1 month later i will be in Germany.I don't Know what i should do now.it is very painfull for me and my wife.If anyone can help or guide me i will be appreciate!!

Andrea4006
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

This happened to me, I got the name "Amy F. Kells." She says she's a doctor in Canada, and she is (I Googled her), but she sent me this same email about the down payment. It seemed too good to be true, which it probably is. I am in the USA, though, so I'm not sure if it's different here.

@Andrea4006  No, the scammers who send these out are using fake ID. The person who sent you this isn't the doctor, you can be quite sure. Do you really think they'd be doing this under their own names?

And what's different in the US?

Yes, I am aware. That's what I'm saying, lol

Ting164
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i almost fell into the scam too! I was looking for place to stay in Glasgow and saw the ad on Gumtree. This guy claims he is a civil engineer who works in Spain. He sent me his passport ID and name is Evans Christopher Alan. same story, everything is dealt by airbnb, 3 month rent before viewing the flat..googled long term rent Airbnb and came across this forum.  luckily i havent sent him anything!

Hi There, I’ve just received an email from a Evans Christopher Alan after seeing a flat listing on zoopla! I couldn’t believe my luck until he mentioned Airbnb! Did he send you a picture of his passport? Born 10th jan 1972??

@Ting164 @Gileasa0 

I responded on Prime Location!

Same guy, same DOB on passport, same deal.

2 days ago...

What to do?!

@Ting164 @Gileasa0 

I responded on Prime Location!

Same guy, same DOB on passport, same deal.

2 days ago...

What to do?!

email address: evsaln21@gmail.com

Hi I have been scammed out for 1150 by this guy he said the same to me as he did you could we have a private chat about this as I’m going to the police and I need as many people to come forward thank you.

beth Davis. 

Tejaswi1
Level 1
Stuttgart, Germany

It's unbelievable. So many comments. Just now got saved from this scam. I did not understand when she asked if I had money ready to be paid. She even removed the ad from website as soon as I mailed her. Thanks for the post.

We almost got scammed but it was pretty obvious it's a scam

Avoid name Michael Darbena

email: michaeldarbena77@hotmail.com

address: Pirckheimerstraße 111, Nuremberg

The scam ad was found on Ebay-Kleinanzeigen

Same scheme: I'm not in Germany, my daughter used to live in this apartment, send me payment and Airbnb agent will send you the keys

Hi I'm slightly worried about someone who has contacted me 

i found the ad on zoopla on the market and Rightmove and emailed regarding more information 

the emails are as follows 

Hi. Here you can see more pictures of the apartment https://imgur.com/a/S7gpFwS
It will be available from 14 of December.
Please let me know starting when and for how long are you interested to rent the apartment. Also for how many people?
It's a 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms flat and comes fully furnished and with all the necessary amenities, exactly as you can see in the pictures, with dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, tv and internet. The monthly price is 800 GBP for the whole flat including all the utility bills. The pets are accepted.
I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, life style, etc)?
I'm working offshore as a civil engineer so I rent the apartment through Airbnb because they will handle the entire rental process on my behalf. Airbnb will handle the visit/check-in once the flat is blocked through them, the signature of the physical rental contact and the keys handing. There will be no service fees for you.
Also I prefer them because of the lower fees they will charge me, I'm a "Superhost" on Airbnb.
Before the check-in/visit in order to block the apartment you'll have to deposit one monthly rent, 800 GBP, plus two months as security deposit, 1600 GBP, through Airbnb. So will be a total of 2400 GBP to be paid.
Starting with the second month you'll have to pay monthly.
The security deposit will be returned to you at the end of the contract if the apartment will have no damages.
If you are interested please let me know and I'll send you the sept by step procedure.
Thank you

Once the flat is blocked and paid through Airbnb you can visit it.
Here you have a video presentation of the apartment
https://youtu.be/p2PayVX9GWk
This is not a real estate, that's how the Airbnb process works, it is the ONLY way.
Let me know as soon as possible if you are interested because there are more interested peoples waiting to rent it...

OK, in order to have this rental process started I need the following info about you:

- Full name
- Actual address
- Email address
- WhatsApp/phone number
- A picture of your ID/passport

Here you have a picture my ID too  https://imgur.com/a/La7DTWG
Once I get the requested info I'll send you the Airbnb link to book the flat.
I'll be waiting for your response as soon as possible.

here is the Airbnb link where you can book the apartment:
Please proceed with the booking as soon as possible before someone else will do it. Thanks

Your reservation link is available 24 more hours so you must complete the booking and pay the deposit within this period in order to secure the flat.
After you'll complete the process with Airbnb, and paid the deposit to the Airbnb manager's account that Airbnb will provide you in file with your invoice, they will organize a visit to the property.
After the visit you will have 3 days to decide if you want to rent it or not. If you'll like the apartment, then you have to sign the rental contract and I'll receive the payment.
Otherwise they will refund your deposit in full.
This is not a real estate, that's how the Airbnb process works, it is the ONLY way.
Please let me know as soon as possible if you want to complete the booking because there are more interested peoples waiting to rent it...

after i told him we were becoming sceptical the link no longer worked also the location is within a university 
i haven’t sent any money or personal info but wondering how to report it