Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196
Ankit72
Level 1
Boston, MA

I got an email from the one of the guy described in chats. To convenience me he sends his photo and family phot and he sends me his passport as well and that sounds me little worried because shares his details. Below is his latest email I got it.

Hi again,

I will do my best to be as transparent as possible during the whole transaction. To build up confidence and gain peace of mind, I have attached a copy of my PASSPORT to this email. Also, please know that you will receive official documents from Airbnb also, before depositing them.

Regarding the process, you will have to deposit the first-month rent + last month's rent, a total of 1400 (700+700), to Airbnb so that they can proceed with the shipping of the rental package (keys and documentation). Please note that Airbnb will HOLD your deposit (escrow) until you receive the rental package (keys and documents) and go and inspect the apartment. Please know that I will pay for all the fees that Airbnb will take. (transaction and shipping fees).

Below I will explain step by step how the transaction with Airbnb works. To avoid any misunderstanding, please READ CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

1 - To start the process, all I need is your contact information: full name, mailing address (street, number, city, and postal code), cell phone number, a move-in date, and lease agreement preferred (e.g., 6 months or 1-year rental contract with the option of renewal). The lease agreement will be a standard one.

2 - Once I have your contact information and your approval, I will go to the Airbnb office (UK) to start the transaction. I will give them the apartment keys and necessary documents.

3 - Airbnb will check everything, including the ownership documents. If everything is in order, they will proceed with the transaction. They will also confirm that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.

4 - Airbnb will send you a notification (via email) where they will inform you that the keys and the documents are in their custody. They will also send you all the steps, how to proceed, and all the transaction details.

5 - At this point, you need to send the amount of 1400$(1st-month rent + last month rent) to the Airbnb payments representative (lawyer escrow account) provided to you in the notification. THE PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE SENT WITHIN 24 BUSINESS HOURS AFTER YOU WILL RECEIVE THE TRANSACTION DETAILS, OR ELSE THEY WILL CHARGE ME AN ADDITIONAL FEE.

6 - As soon as the payment is completed, you need to send the payment details to Airbnb. (a copy of the receipt proving that you sent them the deposit).

7 - Airbnb will verify the payment. If everything is in order, they will start shipping procedures using UPS Next Day Shipping Service.

8 - You will receive the package (keys and documents), and you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the place and decide if you want to rent it.

9 - If you decide to rent the apartment, you need to sign the lease agreement that Airbnb sends, email it to them, and they will release the funds to me. If, after the 5 days inspection, you decide not to rent the apartment, Airbnb will refund the whole deposit.

PLEASE NOTE:

•   Airbnb insures your deposit, and this means that if you do not sign the lease agreement for any reason, Airbnb will refund you the whole deposit, so you are 100% protected.
  •  They CANNOT release the funds without your approval, and they can do it ONLY after you send them the lease agreement with your signature. (after the 5 days inspection period).
  •  Airbnb will send you official documents (invoice, rental agreement, and insurance document) BEFORE sending the deposit to them.

From my perspective, everything is safe, and the reward for going forward with this process is significant. Also, because it's a SELF-SHOWING process, I find it usual (common sense) that you need to make the deposit first, as a guarantee. I hope you share my opinion because I cannot modify the transaction terms in any way, so PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ALL THE TRANSACTION STEPS.

Let me know if you have the funds available (1400$) so we can move forward. If you have the funds available and agree with the transaction steps, please email me your full information (full name and address, and cell number) to get the transaction started.

If you have any further questions regarding the transaction, please let me know.

I am waiting for your reply!

Navindi0
Level 2
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Don't fall for it mate. What company "ships keys" once the deposit is paid? Also the passport copy he sent you could possibly be that of a innocent person who got scammed since they ask for a proof of ID from the person getting scammed. 

Cara232
Level 2
Sandton, South Africa

Going through the exact same thing now. Found a rental with a price that is too good to be true on FaceBook Marketplace. Awaiting the Airbnb link where I am told I will then need to transfer 2 months rent and deposit before I can get keys to the apartment. I will have 2 days to decide if I like it or all funds will be sent back to me. Owner lives in Germany so they are using Airbnb to manage the rental (apparently) Just waiting for the link to come through so I can report it to Airbnb and will also report on FB

@Cara232  If it's a fake Airbnb URL look-alike site, as opposed to them briefly throwing up an actual Airbnb listing to appear legit, reporting it to Airbnb unfortunately won't help,  because it has nothing to do with Airbnb and they can't remove it from Facebook. 

Hi Even I have experience the same issue and got scammed for GBP 1400 for one of the property in Glasgow, Below are the details about the property and the email conversation.

Can some one check and reply if anything can be done to get my money back ? I am in touch with my bank to see if the money can somehow be blocked but so far nothing positive from them yet.

booking_airbnb.PNGpic1.PNGpic3.PNG

link used by scammer (not working now) - 

International account used by the scammer :

image_2022-01-12_143728.png

@Satyajeet2  I'm sorry you got scammed, but that isn't how Airbnb works at all- you never send money to a bank account. Airbnb charges the credit card you have on file with them. 

And that URL for the listing isn't an Airbnb URL.

A wire transfer is like cash, pretty much impossible to get back, but I wish you luck.

oh Thank's Sarah for the quick response.

I was successful in getting my payment stopped from my Bank which was very helpful. Through bank charged me some very nominal fee to get this done. 

But yes i agree with you, i have learnt the lesson very hard way. 

Thanks,

Satyajeet

It seems like this scam might still be going on. I got an email today from an Alberta Silverio claiming to be in Spain and wanting to do the same rent thing through AirBNB. She then said she's 'ready to send me the keys so I can view the apartment'. Additionally she would send me the AirBNB link of the supposed listing where I can pay. 

@Jeroen92  Yes, this scam continues and happens all over the world.

Joanna624
Level 1
New York, NY

This was my message and then she sent me pictures of an apartment. " Hi, everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Cedar City, Utah and unfortunately i can't be present to deal in person. I can arrange to rent the apartment from here through Airbnb, which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.
I hope you are familiar with Airbnb , but if not i'll explain you how it works. If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Cedar City, Utah providing them with your details. Next you will receive a notification message with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys with the rental contract."

@Joanna624  Tell her you know she's a scammer and you are going to report her to the police. Then block her from contacting you, although you'll probably never hear from her again, anyway. 

I've received a similar email, after applying for a property listed on ImmoScout in Germany. A dead giveaway was responding to me with a text block in under one minute, plus the shady AirBnb process.
   I don't even want to know how many people got tricked by them, since there were a lot applicants for that property. I've already reported it to ImmoScout in hopes that they will post a warning or inform the users somehow. Attaching a screenshot of the email, maybe it helps someone.

Cristian967_0-1644248535491.png

Also, this is how the URL for the said property looks like (clearly not legitimate, notice the section between airnbn and dot com):

Cristian967_1-1644248596750.png

Hello,

I'm contacting you related my home on Große Beethovenstraße 37, 12247 Berlin.
My name is Lorraine Heinen, I am 54 Years old, I'm the owner of the apartment. My husband is 56 years old and now we work at Medical Clinic in Dublin, Ireland.
Please read the following lines before questioning about, it may carry already an answer to your question!
Few things about the place:
3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen on 58,12 square meters.
The property is ready for move-in as we speak, is very clean, tidy, quiet and you can move in as soon as the rental process will end (24-72 hours) or at a later date.
It has cable TV, high-speed internet, fully equipped kitchen with all major appliances, in the unit washer and dryer...and much more.
There is one garage parking space included and one off-street.
Well-behaved pets will be considered but no more than a total of two.
The monthly rent will be 481 Euro for the whole place - utilities, cable TV and internet - included! The security deposit is 1443 Euro.
I'm looking for long term tenants so the minimum time to stay is 1 month. If you want to live more than 1 year, please let me know one 1-3 months before departure.
Please let me know if you agree with these terms and want to move forward.

All the best,

Lorraine Heinen

Hello,

I am happy for your interest and thank you for your feedback.
In order to make things happen, I have chosen Airbnb to move forward with this since they will take care of the entire viewing/rental process on my behalf. I used it in the past and I was very pleased with their services. I will contact Airbnb and they will start the process right away.
Once the booking is confirmed and completed, you'll be contacted by their Agent in maximum 3 days for the inspection meeting and to give you the keys and the contract signed by me.
If you agree with my terms and conditions, I need your full name, phone number, your actual address, the date you want to move in and the maximum estimated period of your staying.
Once you will provide that information I will forward it to Airbnb and the process will start.

All the best,

Lorraine Heinen

Hello,

Thank you for your details. I forwarded them to Airbnb so they can start the booking process. I hope you enjoy the apartment and the transaction should be over in a few days so I expect your opinion regarding the apartment in the fastest time.
Please confirm the booking here:
Please fill in all the data needed so you could confirm the booking.  Please let me know if you have other questions and keep me informed about the transaction.

Please keep me in touch.
All the best,
Lorraine

Found this user in Immowelt app. Please be aware of it, people.A92C360A-15FE-4655-B23E-D9E2A125C1E0.jpeg
This scams still goes on….Everyone be aware of it.E9BC4EA8-8F1A-4BD4-945A-06EC25F10D6F.jpeg