Rentals

Amy1818
Level 1
Princeton, FL

Rentals

Hello,

I was looking at a rental that was posted online and I received this from the person who listed the rental. Is this something Airbnb does?

" I  have a contract with Airbnb, one of the biggest rental property management companies in the world, with millions of happy customers every month and they will be the ones taking care of everything, in order for you to move properly. You will pay Airbnb and they will keep a hold of the money until you agree to move in. An Airbnb agent will be assigned to meet you having in his possession the House keys and the tenancy agreement already signed in my name. He will be authorized to intermediate the deal and also to show you a complete tour of the property. If you really consider that this is what you are looking for, you will be able to sign the agreement on the spot or you will also have the option to ask for a refund directly from the agent via bank transfer or cash(if you decide not to rent it), but I'm pretty sure it will not be the case. The house is in perfect condition and we are 100% covered by Airbnb. I have moved with my work to Madrid, Spain for the next 3 years and I'm interested in renting through Airbnb only for a long term, minimum of 3 months." 

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

This is a SCAM!  There are long threads here on the forum warning about these. This is not how Airbnb works at all. Report this to the website where you saw the ad. These are cybercriminals.

@Amy1818

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Amy1818 

As @Sarah977  rightly points out, this is a scamming attempt.

You can read more and see similar cases in the link below.

In a nutshell the scammer attempts (once you have taken the dangled bait of a great place at a great price) to get you to wire money directly to them. Airbnb is mentioned  solely to give a veneer of credibility and lull your sense of caution. So don't wire money, it's not a real offer to rent.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

Amy1818
Level 1
Princeton, FL

thank you @Elena87 and @Sarah977 for this information and the link to a similar question. I have stopped communication. 

So helpful