Renters' motorcycle in living room

Renters' motorcycle in living room

Hi, We rented to four construction workers for four months, and discovered they are keeping a motorcycle in the living room, leaking onto brand new wood-look flooring.  They refuse to park it outside, although there is a fenced backyard and a locked shed.  The woman who made the reservation for her workers hasn't been any help.  Can we get rid of these guys a month early?  We've contacted airbnb, but aren't sure what they will do.

10 Replies 10
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Marysue3 

Third-party booking! 

The Third-Party booking is violated the Airbnb policy.

You can request the guest to leave immediately or change the date to leave early for violating the Airbnb safety terms.

Airbnb does NOT allow third-party bookings. They require the person who made the booking to be the person staying at the property. You must be aware that Airbnb’s insurance policy does not cover third-party bookings.

Do ontact Airbnb Support Center, acknowledge the team, request them to cancel the reservation on the guest's behalf, and mention the damaged floor.

Unless the guest book the Airbnb for work.

Did you approve the reservation? And have you been beware the guest fill in the  ‘work trip fillet’ for the booking.

Contact Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact-us/logged-out

Take a photo of the damaged floor, present the evidence and the repairing cost to Airbnb, claim the guest through the resolution center.

It essential to following the term and policy.

What is the resolution center? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Evict them. It should go without saying that you can't bring a vehicle into a residential home without permission. Get estimates and bill them in the resolution center. Tell Airbnb to rehome them somewhere else.

Don't put up with abuse of your property. It's what allows guests to think they can do anything they want to other hosts.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Marysue3  Make sure you  have documentation that the motorcycle is stored in the house and that guests have refused to move it, e.g. get it on the Airbnb message system.  Then, I would contact Airbnb and demand a penalty free cancellation because the guests are breaking rules of the house, creating damage.  You will lose that $$, but far better than to have such people for another month.

The tenants finally moved the motorcycle to a storage shed, although they knocked down a plastic gutter vertical drain when the handlebars caught on it as they wheel the vehicle around the house. I contacted airbnb three days ago to ask that the contract be cancelled, but I have not heard back from them.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Marysue3   It appears you have just started with the Air BNB platform with your unfurnished home that you are renting on a long term basis and these guests are your first as I see no reviews.  Whew! You might want to be sure you understand how the platform works for long term tenants and for work related third party booking.  Many hosts have found the Air BNB platform is not as supportive as other booking services.  You are a landlord now and your guests are tenants which gives them all the rights of tenants in your area which you need to familiarize yourself with.  Seems like if the motorcycle lodging is all that you are concerned about, the situation is resolved, but I wonder how well your tenants are treating your home.  Good luck!  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Marysue3 

My husband was once working in the rock and roll business. At that time he flew to Los Angeles and took me with him. Being there, we went into a studio in which the rock band Motley Crue was recording their next album.

Drummer Tommy Lee drove into the studio with his Harley Davidson and parked it right there. Noone complained about him for doing so. For some people it's part ot their lifestye to have their bikes right next to where they are.

@Ann72 @Mary996  

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Tee hee so you were a bikey @Ute42 me too and now I live with my touring and road race bikes in my kitchen. BUT its my home!

Love this bit of herstory about you Ute... cracking! What fun. 

Meanwhile we gotta sort it for @Marysue3 . So what to do. I will check on which country you're in ... sorry just got lured in by Ute's revelations (which I've thoroughly enjoyed and want to hear more of) as, if its the UK then he won't be a tenant if you are also in residence and there are other let outs too.  So I'll just post this so you can feel supported Marysue and then better fill myself in.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Arizona... @Marysue3 . I know nothing... so sorry.

But your place looks gorgeous as a nice home for someone.

If I were you I would seek professional legal advice about a contract and possibly further insurance.

Now things are more as you want them and he's complied I suppose you'll be happier to accept the rent? Well done for asserting yourself and I agree with @Dale711  and others to get a claim in for the damage.

Hallo @Ute42, I agree with you ✌️I didn't think where I should park if I have my flavor bikes?
Of course, no one allows to use it.

@Marysue3 didn't remark there are the branded expensive bikes or ordinary bikes.🤔

**[Comment edited in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Glad to hear they moved the motorcycle, @Marysue3 . Not so good that they wrecked the gutter, but that should be fairly inexpensive to repair. At least it is here. Can you get in to assess the damage to the floor that has already been done? Maybe get a jump on cleaning it? I would ask them. You can then take a look around for whatever else might be getting similar treatment. Even without taking parking the bike in the house into consideration -- if they are drummers they might think it is okay? 😉 -- if they cannot move a bike without ripping out a gutter spout, they do sound careless.