Help with setting up a stationary RV for Renting

Steven32
Level 1
Berkeley Springs, WV

Help with setting up a stationary RV for Renting

We are interested in renting an RV as a stationary lodging on a nice site already hooked up to water and power, etc. Near a picturesque toursit/arts town. Anyone doing that? The 32' RV is nicely appointed and fully equiped. We are not interested in renting the vehicle for travel but rather as a small cottage-like environment in a nice setting. With the slide out the square footage is about 300, but with the awning the indoor/outdoor living space is close to 500 sq feet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

52 Replies 52
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Steven32 You'll want to look at other RV rentals to get some ideas.

Joe121
Level 1
Angel Fire, NM

Steven, I'm just curious if you ended up renting out your RV? If so for how much and how is it going? I'm getting ready to do the same thing and trying figure out for how much and what issues people have ran into. 

@Joe121

We are renting out a camper on our property.   It is next to a septic tank access port but is not permanently hooked up so we have to dump the trailer tanks between guests.  The camper plumbing (toilet) was difficult for some guests to use correctly but I added information in the house rules and I always review it in person and that solved that issue.  It is hooked up to water so that is unlimited and does not require the guests to use the pump.  One set of guests ran out of propane (heat and stove) and didn't understand that they should tell us to come over and switch the tanks so they got chilly. One set of guests didn't understand the size (small) of the space despite very accurate descriptions.  They were not very happy but realized it was their lack of understanding, not our lack of disclosure.  A couple of other guests were really 'better suited to a hotel'  (seemed surprised to find themselves in the country with animals, mud and a camping experience.) Other than that we have hosted over 50 groups of guests and have had a fine time doing so.  I recommend you find a friend who has never stayed in a camper and invite them to stay.  Explain everything to them and have them help you write it all down as a House Manual.  Or stay yourself and experience it as if you were a naive guest.  What do you need to know before you book and during your stay?  I describe the steep steps up to the door of the camper.  Some people could have trouble standing on the step while pulling the door toward them to get in. We are the absolute cheapest two (to four but that is TIGHT) private space in our area but in general our guests are very nice and appreciative and leave the space spotless.  Other Airbnb hosts recommend not being the cheapest, but our area is really expensive and the camper is very basic and funky but functional so I think our prices are fair.  $59 weekdays, $69 weekends, $12 extra for each extra person.  We provide supplies for a full breakfast but they have to cook and clean up after themselves.

@Joe121

I looked at your listing and I wonder if you would like any help with editing?  There are a lot of typos and grammatical errors in it.  Glad to help if you wish.

Thanks for the offer. I'll have my wife go back through it. . . I went to school for writing, but I've never been a great editor. Too funny! Thanks. 

Thanks for the info Steven. Some really good stuff, things I would have never thought of. I'm glad to hear it is going well. I've done extensive searching online and it doesn't seem like there are very many places or people renting out RV's. My wife and I own and RV park and have access to a 40' 5th wheel we are working towards turning into a rental. We have high hopes. Thanks again. And best wishes. 

@Joe0.  I'm Kerrin, not Steven:)  Your rig is much larger than ours.  We provide WIFI but no TV, full size fridge, 3 burner stove with oven plus microwave.  Sleeps two in the full bed, and the dinette and sofa convert to single beds which work really well for children or students.

I have been doing research on this for the past few months. The reason why I'm asking you this questions is because you wrote that you own an RV park.  I'm looking to buy a travel trailer/trailers and station them on a camground, or rv resort, or even somebody's backyard, that is close to a major tourist destination on the east coast (Ocean city, Atlantic City, NYC). I actually live in NYC and have never even slept one day in a camper, trailer, rv, but I have been obssessed with them since I was a kid.  

My business model is to put these trailer or trailers on a fully hooked up lot and rent it out on airbnb as well as [Link hidden] for people to take on trips.  So it will remail stationary for the typical season from April to October. During the winter season, I want to station the trailer close to a ski resort to also rent out on airbnb.  When it's not being booked as an airbnb, I would rent it out on[Link hidden] for people to take on trips.  

My question is what type of rv resort or campground should I be looking at where they will allow me to do this?  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Benjamin

Hey @Benjamin188, I see [Link hidden], what other site do you list on?

Are you able to provide the hidden links? I am purchasing a brand new travel trailer very soon and would like to rent it out when I am not using it. I need some guidance on websites to do that.  It will be stationary, not available for travel. 

Have you ever discovered answers to all of this?  I have an RV travel trailer that I want to position in an RVPark year around, and I am trying to find out how well parks or anywhere else available accept this ... Etc ... Interested in any information ... I am in the St Louis or Kansas City MO areas ....

Ben, I’m trying to do the same thing. Have you had any luck with RV parks letting you rent a year round spot? I’m in San Francisco and would look for a spot near Sonoma / Napa. Also was thinking about talking to wineries and perhaps installing the utility lines myself as part of the deal. Currently doing research. Perhaps have a “vintage trailer theme” to make it a little nicer. 

-Ben

Hi @Joe121, have you heard of [link hidden] ? RV / trailer / van rental marketplace! 

We just picked up a 40' Aljo Park style travel trailer.  We have a full hook-up spot in the back of the house we just purchased, and we are interested in doing Airbnb if possible with this trailer.  It has its own yard and everything.  We have a business license for up to three bedrooms and two bathrooms for Airbnb for our city, and we have been doing Airbnb with our back room and bathroom and love our experience.  We have a few guest reviews now (all five star - wahoo), and we are seeking to steadilly improve to the point of superhost.  We have guests arriving a day early today from Yosemite and they are going to stay in our trailer for free.  They will be our first experiece with anyone crashing in this thing, but we want to get it all furnished and on blocks and give it a go with Airbnb if that's okay.  Anyone run into any issues with the legality of doing this?  We don't want to do anything wrong by doing this.

Oh, also, it's funny but I'd heard of people doing Airbnb even with a hammock so I thought... why can't we do our travel trailer?! = )