Renting out an Ex-Cuncil Flat in UK/London? Your thoughts?

Lukas269
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Renting out an Ex-Cuncil Flat in UK/London? Your thoughts?

Hi All, 

I am new to this and would need your advice in regards hosting in ex-council flats. 

I and my partner are thinking of purchasing an ex-council flat in London and renting it out as an Airbnb. Of course, we will refurbish the inside and make it look super pretty and modern - but the main question is: 

Will guests leave bad reviews because of the Kerb-side appeal and how the property looks from the outside? 

For those of you living in London, I am talking about a 4-5story building, red or yellow bricks, with deck/balcony access. Most of these houses are on estates where lots of similar blocks of flats are. 

Does anyone here has experience with hosting a successful listing in a great location but kerb-side and exterior of property doesn't look too pretty and it's on an estate? (i.e. Shoreditch/old street or Borough) 

1 Reply 1
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lukas269  I hope you are well!

One of the listings I manage as a co-host is a privately-owned apartment based in a council-managed block, which is close to Kings Cross.

The apartment itself is very beautiful and stylish, but the communal areas and externals are dated and in need of love- but always clean and tidy and well-lit.

When guests book I always message to ensure they will be happy when they arrive, and I always meet them at the building complex entrance and take them up to the apartment myself- explaining the history of the building and the mix of tenants and so on.

We have had a couple of sets of guests check in but then decide to leave as they didn't like the area.

Reviews are on the whole positive, some guests mention the building but more to help make other guests aware.

It's a fine balance, but as long as you're clear with your guests you shouldn't have any issues. London housing is very mixed, and ex-council apartments aren't rare- but it really depends on what your guests are used to.

I would say clean, tidy and well-lit communal areas, in a building that has families living in it should still give a good and safe impression, and ensure that your reviews are excellent!

If you try to mislead your guests then that is where there is potential for negative reviews comes in.