Renting the main level, basement, and/or entire house???? Need help!

Answered!
Aaron910
Level 1
Oak Ridge, TN

Renting the main level, basement, and/or entire house???? Need help!

We are in the process of renovating a lake house so that we can rent out the main level and basement as separate units.  I don't think this will be that difficult; however, my question is how do we keep it so that we can rent out the entire house if its available.  In other words, I'm sure there will be times we can rent both units (Main level and basement), but there are times when a group will want the entire house.  

The main level is bigger and better than the basement.  It has a large master bedroom, large master bath, living room, spacious kitchen, attached 2 car garage, laundry, 2 screen porches over looking the lake....its really nice.  The master bedroom has 2 queen beds, and a sleeper sofa in the living room as well.  The main level could sleep up to 7 people.  It has separate parking from the basement unit

The basement is smaller, but nice.  It has bedroom with a custom made bunk that has 2 queens, and 2 twin beds.  The living room has a sleeper sofa as well.  There is a full kitchen, and really nice mudroom leading out to the lake.  The basement also has a porch area with a swing and seating.  It also has separate parking from the upper unit.  

How do I market and manage this top and bottom units, but also have it available to rent the entire house?  Is it possible?

Anyone with any experience with this??

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Aaron910 

You will have to make three listings. 

There will be some differences in opinion about how you should set up your listings but this is what I would do:

Listing 1 will be for the main house which is listed as an Entire Apartment

Listing 2 will be for the basement unit which is listed as an Entire Guest Suite

Listing 3 will be for the whole property which is listed as Entire House

Calendars will need to be linked for all three listings to prevent double bookings.

It is really important that guests who book listing 1 or 2 are aware that there could be other guests on the property/above or below them. The classifications of 'Apartment' and 'Guest Suite' will help your case with Airbnb Customer Service if anyone complains.

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Aaron910 

You will have to make three listings. 

There will be some differences in opinion about how you should set up your listings but this is what I would do:

Listing 1 will be for the main house which is listed as an Entire Apartment

Listing 2 will be for the basement unit which is listed as an Entire Guest Suite

Listing 3 will be for the whole property which is listed as Entire House

Calendars will need to be linked for all three listings to prevent double bookings.

It is really important that guests who book listing 1 or 2 are aware that there could be other guests on the property/above or below them. The classifications of 'Apartment' and 'Guest Suite' will help your case with Airbnb Customer Service if anyone complains.