Renting the whole the house VS renting all the bedrooms

Glauber1
Level 2
California, United States

Renting the whole the house VS renting all the bedrooms

I started with BnB about a month ago. At the first day, there was this question, rent the house or bedrooms. I wanted to rent the whole house since the whole house is available. 

I used the smart pricing, and it looked pretty good. 

I got 3 reservations right away and noticed "my"  mistake. Shifted to all bedrooms right away. 

It looks dumb now, but only after going through the mistake. When we rent a house (whether normal rent or whatever), we (and city codes) make sure that dumb mistakes from the dwellers will not hurt anyone. That is what Codes are about. Bnb should think the same way. 

1. The site needs to be very clear for brand new people
     Do you want to rent all house or all bedrooms or some bedrooms? Does it hurt to have this extra question?? 

Well, I did not cancel any of the reservations because it was "my" fault. 

Passed 40 days, and renting all the rooms now, it gets overbooked. The full house was rented and two bedrooms were rented. 

2. Host and Guest of one individual  room agreed to cancel it and get full refund PLUS self-offered compensation out of my pocket for what I consider to be a code  issue.  

Now the second  problem. Guest cannot cancel it. If I cancel, I am severely punished. 

This has to change. Is it too much of problem to have an extra line of code:

IF {addres} is rented  as full house

then rooms are UNrentable. 

Is it that difficult? 

OR be very clear that

Renting the whole house is not the same as renting ALL bedrooms?

Very upset. 

3 Replies 3
RobandAnna0
Level 3
Boston, MA

There are some issues that BNB could work on,
We have a similar situation, we have a vacation house that we rent as a whole house but when we are there we simply rent out room/rooms. It is tedious to put up information for each individual room and then for the entire house. Best of luck

So how do I remove the misinformation?  This is supposed to say per bedroom and the guest can chose which bedroom at different prices!  I need to resolve this NOW!! Is there NO ONE I can talk to?!?!

@Carolyn66

What's the misinformation you are trying to remove? 

If you listed your entire place, then you should delist it and create separate listings for a guest to pick a room. 

Spend the time browsing thru help pages and just looking at listings with high ratings in your area to get the idea how other hosts do it. 

You can also GOOGLE for airbnb customer service number AND you can search for it in the search bar on this forum.