Replying to a review

Answered!
Li28
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Replying to a review

It's an odd review. Never happen before. The guests stayed for 3 nights. Whenever we checked with them how was everything either in text or in person, the answers were always "everything is good". The review was a bit shock. Not sure if i should just leave it or reply.  Not even know what to say.  I am speechless. Help!?

In addition, we have trash cans in each room, including living room but not in bathroom. Personally, I don't like the idea of a trash can inside the bathroom, neither in my own home. I prefer certain things to be raped nicely and placed in the outdoor trash bin at the enterance directly.  But there have been several recommandations for it from different guests. Is it rude to continue ignoring this particular recommandation? 

Li

1 Best Answer
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Li28There is not explanation for what the guest might have smelled.  You did everything right by checking on them on a daily basis.  If there was a problem, they should have said something during their stay.  You can't fix something you didn't know about.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I wouldn't reply to that review, @Li28. Prospective guests will see it for what it is - that it is odd, as you say. Very odd.

I would put a trash can in the bathroom if more than one guest has wanted it and commented on it. It is not rude to ignore the suggestion, but it will continue to hurt your business. 

Li28
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Thank you for kindly suggestions. Really appreciated. I will take your advises.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

Yes to a small trash bin in the bathroom.  Not a day goes by that my guests don't throw used kleenex, sanitary pads, make-up remover pads, etc. into it.  I'd much rather that stuff go in the trash can than the toilet.  

Li28
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

lol, you are 100% right. I'd better put one right away. Thank you!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Li28    "My friends were complaining about some smells"- is that the one?  Ignore it, you have all the rest good reviews. And there is nothing mentioned about a garbage can in the bathroom. Did she send you this in private feedback? Never respond publicly to something a guest tells you in private feedback- no one else can see the private feedback and if you respond to something that was not submitted publicly, it will just call attention to what no one would otherwise have known about.

Li28
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Yes, that's the one. There was no private message from the guest. 

Garbage can was a recommadation from previous guests. And I already put one in the barthroom as suggested.

Thank you! 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Li28  Placing a trash can in the bathroom helps to keep plumbing working better as people will tend to flush things that should be put in a trash can. Don't respond to the review as you really have no idea what she was referring to. Just let it go.  

Li28
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Yes! thank you for the advise. I am more sure what i should do now. 

@Letti0 wrote:

@Li28  Placing a trash can in the bathroom helps to keep plumbing working better as people will tend to flush things that should be put in a trash can. Don't respond to the review as you really have no idea what she was referring to. Just let it go.  

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Li28

-

Very interesting indeed.  Could you provide more info?

How did the guest rate you in the star system?

Did she leave any private feedback?

Is it possible she or her friends smelled  cooking smells unfamiliar to her?

I see you gave her a good review. I understand how surprised you must be  by her review.

I also see that she is an AirBnb host, also, with a listing in the Korean language, I believe.

Do you think this played a factor in her review, i.e. resentment, jealousely, ethnicity?

It is so odd, I'm searching to help you find an answer by examining various factors.

Btw, absolutely put a charming trash can in the bath.  As @Letti0 said, better in the can than down the drain.

Li28
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

Thank you for the analyzing. It was in my mind too. Communication and check in  were 5 stars. The rest is 4 stars. In feedback, mentioned bathroom odor and bathroom trash. Since there was no trash bin inside the bathroom at the time, I assumed it's to request one. I had the suite closed for a few days and reopened together with other people last night. None of us found any odor in bathroom or anywhere else, which was a releave. I was getting self doubts. Anyway, like linda and Richard said, I did check on them on a daily basis. If there was a problem, they should have said something during their stay. I couldn't fix something I didn't know about. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Li28There is not explanation for what the guest might have smelled.  You did everything right by checking on them on a daily basis.  If there was a problem, they should have said something during their stay.  You can't fix something you didn't know about.

Thank you. Couldn't agree more. I was having so much analyzing, checking and self doubts. As long as I did the best that I could, there was no need for such struggles. Hosting should be motivated and interesting for a long run.  Chin up, tomorrow is another day and new guests will show up at the door. 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Trash bin in the bathroom is mandatory in Croatia as a "minimal technical requirement" for all hotels and short term rentals (and all public bathrooms and toilets   - hospitals, cafe bars, restaurants...)

And of course as others have mentioned - it protects your plumbing .

Thank you for the reply. I bought two pure white swing top mini trash cans for both bathrooms, the purpose served and nice looking.