Reporting a guest

Kathy1106
Level 2
Fleming Island, FL

Reporting a guest

I am new to hosting. The very first guest I hosted left the wrong key in the lock box for my next guest. I believe it was intentional. How should I approach this? Do I report this or just let her know that I don't appreciate it?

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kathy1106 first and foremost you should approach this by changing your procedures so you don't rely on guests to set up your next guest's check-in. Regarding this instance, your belief that the action was intentional is pretty much irrelevant. You can review the guest stating the simple fact that the wrong key was left in the lock box. To avoid having the review removed, leave speculation about their internal mental state out of it.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kathy1106  Did the guest already review you?  If so, you could mention it to the guest, but I wouldn't recommend it because all it will accomplish is to upset the guest, who could then retaliate in any number of ways.  You should also not rely on guests to leave correct keys or do anything related to subsequent stays, this is asking for trouble as you already found out. Just curious, why do you think it was done intentionally and not accidentally? 

Kathy1106
Level 2
Fleming Island, FL

Really just a gut feeling. The guest texted me complaining that she had the 80's singer Tiffany staying at my house and that she had to boil water to take a hot bath! I'm not sure if the guest who rented the house even stayed there. And anyway, how do you put the wrong key in the lockbox? She did not leave a bad review so I guess no harm.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Kathy1106 

Simple answer.  Change your door lock to digital entry about $100.  Have a secure mounted lockbox nearby as backup only, in case the battery on the digital keypad fails.  Set up the digital passcode to the guests last 4 digits of their confirmed phone/cell # for the duration of the guest stay.

There are a lot of threads on this topic here.

BTW - this provides additional guest security.

In my experience do not go through Airbnb support for assistance regarding a guest.  Your account will be suspended during an investigation of the incident without any negative feedback from a guest.