Reporting a host for scamming renters

Katy96
Level 1
Arlington Heights, IL

Reporting a host for scamming renters

I began communicating with April Ann Nichilo of Tampa, Florida back in the end of January, and I stupidly rented her beach house outside of the the airbnb site after having several phone conversations with her. After paying for our 5 night stay in full via PayPal (I know it was incredibly dumb to do this), I received a lease agreement that I signed and returned ASAP with a security deposit check. Keep in mind- I had paid in FULL!! After that, all communication ceased and despite many emails, messages, and phone calls, my inquiries were not answered until I finally threatened filing a claim with PayPal. Shortly after sending that email, I received an email that they had refunded my PayPal account and had cancelled my reservation weeks ago after not receiving my security deposit check fast enough (I HAD PAID IN FULL FOR THE RENTAL!). After all this, I went back on AirBnB only to find she had removed the listing from the site entirely- which makes me even more suspicious, as had severall reviews that April had cancelled on people several times at the last minute. My question is how do I report all of this to AirBnB since I did not book through them? I have reported her as a host, but they need more information about her because she has clearly ruined vacations for several people. In our case, fortunately, I was able to find a condo in a different location on VRBO, and I will never make the mistake of booking through an outside source again.

8 Replies 8
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

How did you come to have phone conversations with a host you had not yet booked with? Just wondering.

@Sandra126  These unscrupulous so-called hosts (read Scammers) often write out their phone number in a message using words, rather than numbers- the computer doesn't pick it up and therefore doesn't block it.

@Katy96 thanks for sharing your story!

It is important to remind people why guests should stay "on-platform" when making reservations, and it helps to read about what could happen if you don't.

It sounds like at least you got your money back? (Did I read that correctly?)

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Why would you repoort the matter to AirBnB? You did not use their booking platform?

David

@David126 I think just because the initial contact was made via AirBnB.

She mentioned that the host removed the listing from AirBnB, which implies that's how she found the property and how the initial contact was made.

And has removed her listing.

People could easily find me through other means if the saw my AirBnb listing, pretty sure it is uncommon certainly possible.

David
Molly101
Level 2
Chaffee, NY

This same bitch did this to my husband and I! Thru vrbo!

Molly101
Level 2
Chaffee, NY

Please contact me.. email.. mollyscreativecuts@yahoo.com.. we are pursuing her now